Good afternoon my fellow wine lovers.

Well, we couldn’t come up with a home to host our July offline so how about we just throw something together at a restaurant? Sounds like a great idea to me! Here’s what I’d like to shoot for:
  • Date: Thursday, July 14th, Time TBD, approx. 6:30PM-7PM start time
  • Venue: Probably Caravelle in Richardson subject to final confirmation with the restaurant.
  • Wine Theme: The Serfdom of Whites – Less than Noble Varietals

There has been much debate over the years as to what truly constitutes a “noble” white varietal but there are at least three undisputed noble whites: Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling and Chardonnay. So this month we will explore all of the other white varietals that are not so noble. In the past many of these other whites have been used as blending agents with the occasional single varietal bottling but over the years it seems than many wine makers have stepped up to the plate with single varietal bottlings and improving quality therein. So take your pick of a cornucopia of whites and let’s explore these other varietals! The only two ground rules are not to bring one of the three nobles listed above and the varietal you do choose must contain a minimum of 51% of non noble varietals (i.e. an Australian 50% Chardonnay, 50% Semillon blend doesn’t cut it). Looking for some suggestions? How about: Gewurtztraminer, Pinot Gris, Pinot Blanc. Viognier, Semillon, Muscadet, Chenin Blanc, Gruner Veltliner, French Columbard, Tokay, Muller Thurgau, Niagra, Sylvaner, Schreube, Marsanne, Rousanne and on and on and on!

So, who’s in?

Joe
Original Post
Yep, the word I was searching which somebody posted elsewhere is "Ignoble". Big Grin

Gotcha down for one...let me know if the better half will be attending.

In
2 - WIML & PURPLE
1 - just a skosh
2 - PlanoWino & Mrs. (Gewurtztraminer, Rhone Blend (70% Rousanne, 25% Grenache Blanc, 5% Viognier))
1 - escape
6 - Total
Gotcha down preferred and a revised total for you skosh.

kybo, we'd love to have you stop by and share some wine with us. I went ahead and put you down as a maybe. FYI...wine+art won't make this gig because of his daughter's birthday. That is of course unless the group unanimously votes to do it the following Thursday instead.

In
2 - preferred & Mrs. (Chernoble wine)
2 - WIML & PURPLE
2 - just a skosh & Mr.
1 - Bella Donna
2 - PlanoWino & Mrs. (Gewurtztraminer, Rhone Blend (70% Rousanne, 25% Grenache Blanc, 5% Viognier))
1 - escape
10 - Total

Maybe
1 - MikeB
1 - kybo
quote:
...wine+art won't make this gig because of his daughter's birthday. That is of course unless the group unanimously votes to do it the following Thursday instead.

I don't know about other folks. But, our schedule is flexible in terms of either the 14th or the 21st. Would be nice to see wine+art, but that unanimous thing is daunting... Smile
quote:
Originally posted by just a skosh:
quote:
...wine+art won't make this gig because of his daughter's birthday. That is of course unless the group unanimously votes to do it the following Thursday instead.

I don't know about other folks. But, our schedule is flexible in terms of either the 14th or the 21st. Would be nice to see wine+art, but that unanimous thing is daunting... Smile

One thing to bear in mind skosh is the restaurant may have one of their infamous Vietnamese wedding parties that evening pretty much forcing us to move to the 21st. It's happened to us before. We'll know when I call to make the reservation.
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Donna:
I want some of that Peking duck I keep hearing about...I want the whole thing to myself Big Grin

I usally order it when I make the reservation because they need a minimum of 24 hours notice. Depending on the number of people there I typically order 2 ducks.
OK - I'm officially in on the Thursday offline at Caravelle. I'll be staying in the DFW/Grapevine area so don't mind me if I'm a tad late to the venue. Joe, drop me an email at bfrye at peachstate dot com w/any particulars I might need. Looking forward to seeing the group again, and meeting new faces.
Bella, that's the date unless the restaurant can't take us. There has been no reservation made yet but we rarely make one more that 2-3 days in advance. I don't see it as a problem this time of year. If they can't take us for some reason I'll move the venue last minute to someplace else since Bob is now committed.

Yet one more update:

In
2 - preferred + Mrs (Chernoble wine)
2 - WIML & PURPLE
2 - just a skosh + Mr.
2 - Bella Donna + Kim
2 - PlanoWine + Mrs (Gewurtztraminer, Rhone Blend (70% Rousanne, 25% Grenache Blanc, 5% Viognier))
2 - vintage + 1
1 - escape
1 - kybo
14 - Total

Maybe
1 - MikeB

It's starting to look like we'll have to split into two tables. Just FYI everybody...
Done.

In
2 - preferred + Mrs (Chernoble wine)
2 - WIML & PURPLE
2 - just a skosh + Mr.
2 - Bella Donna + Kim (Blend 50% Auxerrois, 35% chardonnay and 15% Pinot Blanc, 2003 Alsace Gewurtztraminer)
2 - PlanoWine + Mrs (Gewurtztraminer, Rhone Blend (70% Rousanne, 25% Grenache Blanc, 5% Viognier))
2 - vintage + 1
1 - escape
1 - kybo
14 - Total

Maybe
1 - MikeB

Add Reply

Likes (0)