Costco Wine Alerts

I shopped there frequently in the past but not as much now. I used to trust their info cards, but after I purchased a "91 point WS" wine it turned out to actually be 88pts and have a different flavor profile (and yes I did verify vintage)... still useful for wines I know though. For new wines I am still somewhat of a point whore as I continue to learn my palate.
Oh and if you are interested check the offline thread for a MPLS offline (off-topic I know but many don't check that forum often).

quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
2009 Dominus at $129.99 here in Saint Louis Park Mn. What I pay wholesale at the club.
The 0.97 ending usually means it's been marked down, and usually substantially. Nice one, DWG!

I picked up a bottle of 20 yr old Kirkland Speyside single malt for $45 last week. It's pretty nice, but tastes more like a 12 year speyside than a 20. I'm not going back for more, but I'll definitely run through this bottle with ease.
Damn, D-kauf, that's a good price!

I've noticed an uptick in the scotch selection recently at my Costco. They have the Kirkland 18 and 20 (speyside, bourbon cask, pretty nice for the price), a Mortlach 22 yr (about $46, reeaaallly good), 18 yr Laphroig for $80 (great stuff). I think there was another this week, but I can't remember what it was. I love it the whole thing, I've been drinking a lot of scotch recently....
Aphilla- I have bought 3 bottles of the Mortlach so far. Killed one the first weekend I had it (with 2 friends), then went back and bought 2 more. I'm almost through the next one. It's great stuff, my Costco is sold out of it or I'd buy more.

The 2 Kirkland branded Speysides (18 and 20 yr) are pretty good but don't live up to the quality of Macallan IMO. They don't have the overall richness of Macallan. There was an 18yr Kirkland a few years ago that was Macallan, it said so on the bottle. These do now.
quote:
Originally posted by grossie:
Aphilla- I have bought 3 bottles of the Mortlach so far. Killed one the first weekend I had it (with 2 friends), then went back and bought 2 more. I'm almost through the next one. It's great stuff, my Costco is sold out of it or I'd buy more.

You want me to pick up a couple for you if they have them locally?
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
Petaluma Costco has 2006 Screaming Eagle for $3000. Don't forget to put on pants in your excitement to run out the door.

Wow, I'll have to stop by there next time I visit a client in Santa Rosa...... Spit

I've noticed Costco pricing, especially on the premium stuff, isn't the "bargain" it used to be compared to the rest of the marketplace. Hoping there will be some holiday discounts on some of the vintage champers, like they used to have in the past.
quote:
Originally posted by fusionstorm:
quote:
Petaluma Costco has 2006 Screaming Eagle for $3000. Don't forget to put on pants in your excitement to run out the door.

Wow, I'll have to stop by there next time I visit a client in Santa Rosa...... Spit

I've noticed Costco pricing, especially on the premium stuff, isn't the "bargain" it used to be compared to the rest of the marketplace. Hoping there will be some holiday discounts on some of the vintage champers, like they used to have in the past.

The SOMA Costco can have some great stuff at good prices but there's also a high likelihood of seeing Cristal for $400.
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
RE the Screaming Eagle in a Costco, how does one think it made its way into a Costco? Did a distributor get his hands on it? That particular wine dept head get one for show?

BTW, there is not a Costco in Petaluma that I know of.

Sorry, it was Novato, you are correct.
quote:
quote:
quote:

The SOMA Costco can have some great stuff at good prices but there's also a high likelihood of seeing Cristal for $400.

Cristal has been sitting at a number of other Costcos in the Bay Area priced at $189.99 per bottle. Unless you're referring to the rose or a magnum of the brut?
quote:
RE the Screaming Eagle in a Costco, how does one think it made its way into a Costco? Did a distributor get his hands on it? That particular wine dept head get one for show?

Not sure, but there has been a couple of bottles sitting in a glass case in our local Costco for years. Don't remember the price, but it was no deal. Neither are the first growths that are sitting next to it. The temperature and light in Costco is not great, so I'm not sure who would actually buy those wines even at a discount.
quote:

SE definitely has some of its wine enter the distribution chain. That's how it ends up in restaurants and high-end shops.

I'm sure it just went through a disto.
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cristal has been sitting at a number of other Costcos in the Bay Area priced at $189.99 per bottle. Unless you're referring to the rose or a magnum of the brut?

You know, it's probably the Rose now that I think about it.
2006 Schweiger Estate Cabernet- Just curious, has anyone tried this? An 06, under 30.00 from the Spring Mountain district? I tried Wine Searcher, but no results for 2006. I know, I know... Its 30 bucks. Find out for myself :-)

A quick shout out to Trinity, your Mondavi Oakville is being "closed out" at 34.79- 2010 vintage tho. I have visited / called a few locals and I believe all the 09 may be gone (point difference of 6)

On a side note, I came across some 2012 Andrew Murray "Tous Les Jours"
Syrah from the Santa Ynez Valley. Somewhere in the $14 range. Opened it while preparing dinner and as expected being so young it was more than a lil edgy. Came home last night and found a gorgeous, softened, wonderfully expressive fruit bomb. Beautiful floral notes and red fruits in the nose, super jammy. This may work out to be my QPR of the year! I am probably going to buy every damned bottle I can get my hands on :-)
quote:
Originally posted by Vinolocity:
2006 Schweiger Estate Cabernet- Just curious, has anyone tried this? An 06, under 30.00 from the Spring Mountain district? I tried Wine Searcher, but no results for 2006. I know, I know... Its 30 bucks. Find out for myself :-)

A quick shout out to Trinity, your Mondavi Oakville is being "closed out" at 34.79- 2010 vintage tho. I have visited / called a few locals and I believe all the 09 may be gone (point difference of 6)

Syrah from the Santa Ynez Valley. Somewhere in the $14 range. Opened it while preparing dinner and as expected being so young it was more than a lil edgy. Came home last night and found a gorgeous, softened, wonderfully expressive fruit bomb. Beautiful floral notes and red fruits in the nose, super jammy. This may work out to be my QPR of the year! I am probably going to buy every damned bottle I can get my hands on :-)

Thanks for the heads up however right now unable to purchase any wine Frown
quote:
Originally posted by gmbdds:
I haven't had the '06 Schweiger but in general I like their cabs and find them to be a relative bargain. They aren't at all wimpy but they are balanced and can go quite a few years. Give one a try.

Will do, and once I PnP I will report back. This does seem like a bargain on the surface. I try to keep my "daily drinkers" at or below 30 (as my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm) and this may fit in nicely.
quote:
Originally posted by trinitynzxt:
quote:
Originally posted by Vinolocity:

Thanks for the heads up however right now unable to purchase any wine Frown

Sorry to hear of your woes, but just remember... Your next roomies could be smokin hot coeds who cant wait to hear you pontificate on the subtle nuances of Vouvray and the sheer power of Cali Cabs :-)

Keep your chin up. Easier to meet the glass half way.

Add Reply

Likes (0)