Skip to main content

@Rothko posted:

I hate to make this prediction, but I'll bet that Florida is going to overtake NY and California on cases by the fall.

NY has already dropped off to +/- 500 cases/day for the entire state. CA is in a bad place right now but has leadership that, so far, has seemed reasonably competent and has a populace that, by snd large, listens. Texas and Florida are in trouble, and it is hard to tell what will come. But it is certainly possible that, ultimately, they will be the two states hit the hardest. 

@purplehaze posted:

I'm having concerns at the office.  Our managing partner wanders around mask-less all day.  One of the senior department heads regularly pulls his mask down, or pulls it below his nose when in close contact with staff and clients.  I am a former senior manager in this company but am in an ancillary position now.  Not sure how to address the issue.  Our HR department is feckless.  All it takes is one a$$#ol€ to kill my ass.

PH

Last week I was asked to start coming back to the office Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I’ve been working from home wine the second half of March - I made that decision and got management buy-in when people weren’t respecting distance. I had actually put signs with arrows on the floor outside my cubicle.  So since then, I’ve only gone in for a half day once a week to deal with quality issues and have a quick meeting with my boss, who is very responsible and respectful.

So today I’m in for a full day for the first time on a long time. We’ve had shitloads of communication about distance, masks in close quarters, etc. First thing, maintenance guy starts walking towards me talking, maskless, and I tell him to back up. Right before a Covid update meeting, I see our HR manager talking to the payroll guy within 4 feet, leaning over his cube wall. She then TAKES HER FUCKING MASK OFF and keeps talking; he neither backs away nor puts his mask on. I mention it to him later, and he says thanks for the reminder. Then at the meeting, two dildoheads ask to borrow my pen for the sign-in sheet. I refuse both of them, including one person way higher than me on the totem pole. I mean, why would a VP bring a pen to a meeting? Early afternoon, HR dumbass is again on the cubicle wall of the same guy from the morning, yapping away. I call her out and say she is closer to three feet than six. She looks at me like I’m an asshole, then continues the conversation. Payroll pussy doesn’t back up or put on a mask.

Fuctards. I’ll be back to working from home if I can’t change behavior by the end of the week. Un freaking believable.

@billhike posted:

Last week I was asked to start coming back to the office Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I’ve been working from home wine the second half of March - I made that decision and got management buy-in when people weren’t respecting distance. I had actually put signs with arrows on the floor outside my cubicle.  So since then, I’ve only gone in for a half day once a week to deal with quality issues and have a quick meeting with my boss, who is very responsible and respectful.

So today I’m in for a full day for the first time on a long time. We’ve had shitloads of communication about distance, masks in close quarters, etc. First thing, maintenance guy starts walking towards me talking, maskless, and I tell him to back up. Right before a Covid update meeting, I see our HR manager talking to the payroll guy within 4 feet, leaning over his cube wall. She then TAKES HER FUCKING MASK OFF and keeps talking; he neither backs away nor puts his mask on. I mention it to him later, and he says thanks for the reminder. Then at the meeting, two dildoheads ask to borrow my pen for the sign-in sheet. I refuse both of them, including one person way higher than me on the totem pole. I mean, why would a VP bring a pen to a meeting? Early afternoon, HR dumbass is again on the cubicle wall of the same guy from the morning, yapping away. I call her out and say she is closer to three feet than six. She looks at me like I’m an asshole, then continues the conversation. Payroll pussy doesn’t back up or put on a mask.

Fuctards. I’ll be back to working from home if I can’t change behavior by the end of the week. Un freaking believable.

I shake my head as I read that Bill.  Looking around the few places we've experienced while venturing out here, we've seen something very similar even as Texas blows up.  It's unfathomable to me that folks would be so selfish they make a conscious decision to throw their middle finger at those around them and act this way.  No one knows the exact way to manage this, nor does anyone know the exact impact of following the guidelines, but we should all be able to reasonably agree that if they're right we can save not only lives but a lot of suffering, and if they're wrong you've simply wasted some time wearing a mask that (with few exceptions) did nothing to harm you. 

I saw an interview with Tom Hanks this morning where he compared the current situation to society during World War II:

"There was a sensibility during that time that permeated all of society, which was, do your part, we’re all in this together.  What that meant — doing your part — was there was a tiny bit of stuff that you could do in order to aid the ongoing status of an effort that had no sign of its conclusion.  Wear a mask, social distance, wash your hands.  That alone means you are contributing to the betterment of your house, your work, your town, society as a whole and it’s such a small thing, and it’s a mystery to me how somehow that has been wiped out of what should be ingrained in the behavior of us all — simple things do your part.

Now the idiot wants all reports to be sent to HHS VS CDC, so they can have more accurate reporting.  BS    Now they will be able to bury data, and the media, doctors etc. will have no access.  Guess that is what he meant when he said "Covid-19 is disappearing".   Hide it under the rug!!

Wish he would resign, so we don't need to wait until 01/20 to have an adult in the room.   Disgusting

Americans are imbued with a libertarian feeling.  Many think, as Ronald Reagan said, "Government is not the solution. Government is the problem."  Of course, careful analysis of the proper role of government is to the contrary.

The government has made major contributions in the area of safety. Seatbelts, bumpers, and other motor vehicle designs.  Air traffic control and regulations on airline manufacturers.  Drug safety and efficacy.  Yet, we have a portion of the population who says, "I have the RIGHT to drive without a seatbelt, to smoke cigarettes wherever I want, and the right NOT to wear a mask."  These are not "Rights" guaranteed by the Constitution. They are desires.  Rights are set forth in statutes, case law, executive orders, and so forth.  One person has the desire to smoke cigarettes in a restaurant. The other has the desire to be free from smoking near him in the restaurant.  These are desires. If the government passes a law saying that you cannot smoke cigarettes inside, then it establishes the right of one over the other.  The first may have the desire to smoke, but must conform his behavior to the law.

One person's "libertarian" is another person's selfish moron 

Stef and I zoomed with our friends who live in Florence yesterday  - they recently cancelled their plans to send their daughter to the states for a semester of high school and  we were discussing things - regarding how Italians generally complied with all the mandates and Americans have not and why and our conclusions were:

1. Obviously incompetence in the government (and lack of centralization especially with a head buried in the sand president)

2. Selfishness

3. Stupidity

Every day it seems increasingly more like we are actually living in the movie Idiocracy.  Not a great or even very good movie - but unfortunately we seem to be living it

@jcocktosten posted:

One person's "libertarian" is another person's selfish moron 

Stef and I zoomed with our friends who live in Florence yesterday  - they recently cancelled their plans to send their daughter to the states for a semester of high school and  we were discussing things - regarding how Italians generally complied with all the mandates and Americans have not and why and our conclusions were:

1. Obviously incompetence in the government (and lack of centralization especially with a head buried in the sand president)

2. Selfishness

3. Stupidity

Every day it seems increasingly more like we are actually living in the movie Idiocracy.  Not a great or even very good movie - but unfortunately we seem to be living it

Part of the willingness of persons to obey the directives of the government leader has to do with the belief that the government leader knows what he is talking about and is trustworthy.  Marylanders like Governor Hogan, who has been steady, truthful, and straightforward with his press conferences and edicts and comments with regard to the virus.  He's a Republican in the blueist of states, and is viewed positively by 80% of Democrats and 75% of Republicans in a recent survey. Compliance with masks is at a high level.

On the other hand, the current Pres. of the US has been less steady, less truthful and not straightforward at all. (Is the opposite of straightforward "curvedforward" or "crookedforward"?). Anyway, there is no belief by hardly anyone that he knows what he is talking about and is trustworthy. 

He said recently, "we're going to open the schools, and we're going to open them beautifully."  What does that mean, "open the schools beautifully"??? Has anyone any idea?

@irwin posted:

Part of the willingness of persons to obey the directives of the government leader has to do with the belief that the government leader knows what he is talking about and is trustworthy.  Marylanders like Governor Hogan, who has been steady, truthful, and straightforward with his press conferences and edicts and comments with regard to the virus.  He's a Republican in the blueist of states, and is viewed positively by 80% of Democrats and 75% of Republicans in a recent survey. Compliance with masks is at a high level.

On the other hand, the current Pres. of the US has been less steady, less truthful and not straightforward at all. (Is the opposite of straightforward "curvedforward" or "crookedforward"?). Anyway, there is no belief by hardly anyone that he knows what he is talking about and is trustworthy. 

He said recently, "we're going to open the schools, and we're going to open them beautifully."  What does that mean, "open the schools beautifully"??? Has anyone any idea?

Nice flowers for the hospital rooms or graves of teachers and custodians? 

@irwin posted:

One of my partners said that a judge at a hearing this morning said she anticipated restarting jury trials in January - I asked if the jury assembly room was going to be held in the ICU

@Rothko posted:

patespo1:  I'm a huge proponent for schools opening at the end of summer.  I just feel that keeping kids out for another semester would be very detrimental to them, mentally, physically, and educationally. 

The children, for the most part, are less susceptible to the virus, don't infect as much as older people, and there are ways to minimize the risks to families, teachers, school employees, etc.

The WH Press Secretary said today that "the science should Not stand in the way"  of children going back to school.  That's what the administration thinks of children in America. 

I would say that the President has just as much at risk as other parents, by sending his son, Barron, back to school.  But for some reason, that doesn't seem right...

With the virus spinning out of control in states like Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc., the schools just can't be reopened at this time.  Not without massive amounts of containment measures, testing, tracing, etc.  Which isn't going to happen.

@Rothko posted:

I would say that the President has just as much at risk as other parents, by sending his son, Barron, back to school.  But for some reason, that doesn't seem right...

With the virus spinning out of control in states like Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc., the schools just can't be reopened at this time.  Not without massive amounts of containment measures, testing, tracing, etc.  Which isn't going to happen.

You think the president's son attends a public school? How about a very private school where everyone is tested constantly to protect the president? And now I'm confused, weren't you quoted as saying that you thought kids should be back in school? Didn't you write this?

"The children, for the most part, are less susceptible to the virus, don't infect as much as older people, and there are ways to minimize the risks to families, teachers, school employees, etc."

So do you agree with Kayleigh Barbie that, "The science should not stand in the way" of children going back to school? Seems pretty dumb to me. In addition the way to minimize the risk, if they do go back to school, would cost hundreds of millions of dollars for schools across the country to build safe environments. I don't see any movement by the Trump Administration towards making the classroom safer.

Yes, I wrote that there are ways to minimize the risks.  Which don't appear to be considered by the Federal government at the current time.  So, while I do feel strongly that kids should go back to school, I think it needs to be done in a way to minimize the risks.  If, for example, Florida came up with a plan to open schools that actually seemed feasible, I'd be onboard with it.

But I don't think the Federal Government's concept:  "just open up the schools and consequences be damned" is the way to go.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.