Skip to main content

200 million shots in arms in less than 100 days.  That truly is an accomplishment.  We are doing much better than most of the rest of the world (Israel and Chile are ahead of us, and few tiny territories/countries that frankly don't count).  Poor Europe has made a mess of their vaccine purchase/distribution. 

I'm still waiting to see Covid case numbers drop nationwide from the current mini-surge.  I hope it will happen.

Unfortunately signs are vaccine hesitancy is starting to happen.  The rolling seven day average for inoculations per day is currently 11% down.  This just after Biden gave the green light to anybody and everybody 16 and over.  Hopefully the PTO teaser will get some more to bite but unfortunately we're getting really close to fighting tooth and nail from each additional person to finally commit.

Vaccine hesitancy is really odd.  The same people who don't want a vaccine because there is a one in a million (or more) chance that something bad will happen to you are the same people who buy Powerball tickets, hoping to win despite the odds being 1 in 500 million or so.

I settled a small case this morning. My client is a nurse. She is hesitant to get the vaccine! I was hesitant to take her to Court.

Received my first shot today. Astra Zeneca.  

The pharmacy gave me a printout from the Ontario government’s website.  It didn’t reference the vaccine I received (only Pfizer and Moderna), mention the risk of clotting (remote but real) associated with AZ, and still mentioned the 21-28 day interval between first and second shots (right now we are averaging 15-16 weeks between shots).  This information has not been updated since January 6.  

Vaccine hesitancy is euphemism for vaccine stupidity. I said around the beginning of the year we would not get to herd immunity this year and would get stalled out around 60%. We will certainly never hit 70%. That's why I am a fan of restaurants, and entertainment venues to require proof of vaccination. You don't want to get vaccinated? Fine. Stay outside.

Last edited by The Old Man

Hey! I agree with the Old Man! Wow.

In Maryland, about 43% of the population has gotten at least their first shot, and one assumes that if you got a first shot, you'll get the second.  About 75,000 shots are being administered each day. We now have walk in places where no appointment is necessary. Yet, the lawyer across the hall from me has 2 paralegals and a bookkeeper who are "unsure" whether they will get a shot. Two of them smoke cigarettes. One of those is grossly obese.  When they say with regard to the vaccine"I am worried about what I'm putting in my body" I am tempted to say to the obese one, who smokes, "You are not worried about the tobacco smoke and chemicals you put in your body, or the sugary drinks and potato chips?" But, I stifle myself.

The incidence of gross stupidity is also of epidemic proportions.

Probably around 60% of the U.S. is already or will soon be vaccinated.  The other 40% or so will not be.  Covid restrictions will go away and most people will go back to their daily lives.  The virus will go along and continue to infect that 40% of non-vaccinated people.  The infection rates will be slower, in all likelihood, but they will continue and they might even increase in areas where non-vaccinated people cluster.

Those people will either: a) be asymptomatic but pass it along to other non-vaccinated persons before gaining immunity; b) become sick and survive Covid but gain immunity (some may have long-term effects and some may not); or c) become sick and die.  Death rates should go down, as better treatments and medicine will continue to advance but still there will be people dying who otherwise would have survived if they had been vaccinated.

And eventually the virus will mostly burn out as it works it's way through the 40%.

And my sympathies for the non-vaccinated people who get Covid and either have long-term effects or die from the disease will be limited, since they made the decision not to take an effective and safe vaccine.

The downsides are that every infection allows the virus a chance to mutate into something that could become problematic for even the vaccinated people.  There are some people who, for whatever reason, can't take a vaccine and are unprotected and may catch Covid from the non-vaccinated people - and that is a true tragedy.  And the societal and economic costs of 40% of the country becoming sick and continuing to die are enormous.  But that is a price that will just have to be paid because too many people are not going to take the vaccines to get us to herd immunity through vaccines alone.

This is why I wish the FDA would go ahead and give full approval to the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.  Once that happens employers can start mandating you get the shot before returning to work.  That is when people with half a brain will finally cave in.  The ones with no brain will eventually be culled from the herd.

I think that say 60% will get it, 20% won't, no matter what anyone says, and 20% are on the fence.  Need to get most or all of that 20% vaccinated.  What I think is going to do it is either employers requiring the vaccine, or, more likely, private businesses start mandating proof of vaccination to use their services.  Want to go to an NFL game or NASCAR race? Get on a plane?  Show us your proof of vaccination. 

My assistant, who is in her early 30s, and who has breast implants, gets botox, dies her hair, has fake eyelashes, tattoos (you get the idea I'm sure), is hesitant to get the vaccine because she "doesn't want to put something foreign into her body."  Thank god she told me this on the phone, because I'm sure I didn't keep a straight face

@csm posted:

My assistant, who is in her early 30s, and who has breast implants, gets botox, dies her hair, has fake eyelashes, tattoos (you get the idea I'm sure), is hesitant to get the vaccine because she "doesn't want to put something foreign into her body."  Thank god she told me this on the phone, because I'm sure I didn't keep a straight face

This is an obviously useless post without pics.  Please rectify........

@jcocktosten posted:

And of course, we know people who are vaccinated can still contract it it so how many will be infected by the anti-vaxxing morons.  That who is I will have sympathy for

0 sympathy for non vaxxers, they just insure there will be more future variants that our antibodies can no longer defend against, leading to a never ending cycle of us being injected perhaps on a yearly basis instead of just once.

ditto anti maskers, who could have just stayed home for 2 weeks and worn masks and we wouldnt have this issue anyway.

@Rothko posted:

Today is the one-year anniversary of the "inject light or ingest bleach" Covid conference.  I had to go back and read the comments in here from that day.  It really is surreal to think that that is what we went through during this pandemic.

One of my favorite reactions to that recommendation by Dr. Trump. These guys own and operate a nano-brewery near me. It's good stuff, too.

Drink Beer, Not Bleach

Good of the US to release its supply of the AstraZeneca vaccine for other countries.  We don't need it, it's not approved yet for the US, and other places could put it to good use.

India is looking like a true disaster, as the case counts soar to an official 17.6 million cases.  I read that some experts think that the real number may be in excess of half a billion.  Let that number sink in.

I think there's a slight chance we could fuck this whole thing up. With the country filled with ignoramuses there is no way we're getting to the minimal 70% for herd immunity. The longer this goes the longer time variants have to establish footholds. There is a possibility this could spin up again here, as it is in India, and even to a degree in Oregon and Michigan.

@The Old Man posted:

I think there's a slight chance we could fuck this whole thing up. With the country filled with ignoramuses there is no way we're getting to the minimal 70% for herd immunity. The longer this goes the longer time variants have to establish footholds. There is a possibility this could spin up again here, as it is in India, and even to a degree in Oregon and Michigan.

Well, there's always a chance.  But I am not sure I agree that we won't get to 70%.  It is possible, but perhaps unlikely.  Certainly we will get to 70% between vaccinated persons and recovered patients.

So far, the vaccines appear to work pretty well against all variants.  The surges in India, Michigan, Florida, etc. are the result of the variants infecting non-vaccinated people.  There is always the possibility that a variant may come out which completely negates the vaccines, but I haven't heard too many experts express serious concerns about that yet.

Keep the fingers crossed and keep vaccinating as many people as we can, around the globe.

As a kid in the 60's, I remember getting vaccines at school for a whole host of diseases. I don't remember it being voluntary, but I do recall at least one girl whose parents were members of some small, strict religious sect, and wouldn't let her be inoculated. Otherwise, I remember it being mandatory. And as a result, no one in my immediate circle developed polio or rubella. Still have my little, round scar from the air-gun injectors, too.  (Of course, those were the days when parents would host chicken pox "parties", too.)

Last edited by mneeley490
@mneeley490 posted:

As a kid in the 60's, I remember getting vaccines at school for a whole host of diseases. I don't remember it being voluntary, but I do recall at least one girl whose parents were members of some small, strict religious sect, and wouldn't let her be inoculated. Otherwise, I remember it being mandatory. And as a result, no one in my immediate circle developed polio or rubella. Still have my little, round scar from the air-gun injectors, too.  (Of course, those were the days when parents would host chicken pox "parties", too.)

Same thing here. One kid didn't get the shots, he was a Jehovah's Witness if I recall correctly.

@irwin posted:

Perhaps a state government, or the federal government, should require people to have immunizations (in the absence of a real medical contraindication or a sincerely held religious belief).

See, Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 US 11 (1905)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...son_v._Massachusetts

I don't think government inforcement is needed, nor desirable. Just for private businesses to require vaccination to use them.  Any private businesses that want to protect their employees will require customers to be vaccinated.

@The Old Man posted:

I don't think government inforcement is needed, nor desirable. Just for private businesses to require vaccination to use them.  Any private businesses that want to protect their employees will require customers to be vaccinated.

You could be right......but a fair number of "customers" don't personally appear in the same place as a private business. Like, say, customers who shop online.  And some businesses may not wish to require customers to be vaccinated as this could drive their customers away to competitors.

Some private businesses may require that their own employees be vaccinated.  Then, if an employee quits because he is "hesitant", would such a former employee be entitled to unemployment compensation.

A combination of strategies will be required to get a higher percentage of folks vaccinated.

@flwino posted:

Our stupid Gov, has now mandated that cities etc cannot enact or enforce mask, social distancing rules 07/01.  Also can't have a vaccination certificate.  Real jerk

No expert on the Florida State constitution, but can he really mandate what private businesses do?  I realize someone will have to challenge him to know for sure, but that doesn't seem kosher to me. 

First shot of AZ done on thursday. Friday was really rough. 100f fever, body felt like I'd been beaten with a bat. Brushed my teeth in the morning after (2pm shot) and dropped the toothpaste tube because it hurt so much when I squeezed. Fever broke after 38 hours and now five days later a quarter sized circle around the injection site is still tender.

Still pretty glad I got it! My wife has her first Pfizer shot next monday. Looking at things as they are now, talking with a couple of doctors and our biotech analyst who's really plugged in, it looks like we'll get our second shot sometime in July. Probably early-ish.

According to our Governor's website,

“According to official CDC data, 62% of Marylanders 18 and older, and 84.8% of Marylanders 65 and older, have received a COVID-19 vaccine.”

Yesterday I heard a case in my capacity as arbitrator.  The Plaintiff had been injured in a car accident. Before the case was over, he contracted and died from Covid.  58 years old.  He was markedly obese. I don't know about other co-morbidities.

@csm posted:

No expert on the Florida State constitution, but can he really mandate what private businesses do?  I realize someone will have to challenge him to know for sure, but that doesn't seem kosher to me.

He cannot although I am sure he will try.  Once again - government abdication of responsibility and shifting norms onto business and of course only those with conscience and ethics will do so while other simply keep counting their money.

Our best friends in town have a small restaurant that was booming pre-covid and very successful.  They are one of the few in town who followed and exceeded all CDC guidelines they still have reduced seating, they have very limited outdoor seating and no bar seats available (well just 2 on the end) which was a huge part of their business.  Of course, they are owner operators are on site and concerned about their own, their staff who are their friends and their customers many of who are their friends unlike the vast majority of places in town. 

So while the jerks are printing money, the people who care (they are not the only ones in town but representative of a minority) - turn business away, have people fight them over requiring masks and struggle - it is BS

My prediction that the vaccine would become walk-in, no appointment necessary by the end of April was just a few days early.  Looks like many places are now offering same-day appointments.

Florida is really taking first-place in the "head in the sand" category.  We have the highest number of new Covid cases in the country, but our Governor thinks that Covid is over.

New guidance from the CDC says that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask, indoors or outdoors, or practice social distancing.

This marks the end of mask wearing.  Vaccinated people will stop wearing masks, and un-vaccinated people will not wear them either.  Businesses and organizations that required mask-wearing are soon going to face calls to drop their mask policies.  Some states have eliminated the mask mandates and others will soon follow.

The vaccinated people will be able to return to normal life with little fear.  The unvaccinated people will continue to go out and infect other unvaccinated people.  And we can all just keep our fingers crossed that a mutation doesn't arise that somehow becomes vaccine-resistant.

@Rothko posted:

New guidance from the CDC says that fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a mask, indoors or outdoors, or practice social distancing.

This marks the end of mask wearing.  Vaccinated people will stop wearing masks, and un-vaccinated people will not wear them either.  Businesses and organizations that required mask-wearing are soon going to face calls to drop their mask policies.  Some states have eliminated the mask mandates and others will soon follow.

The vaccinated people will be able to return to normal life with little fear.  The unvaccinated people will continue to go out and infect other unvaccinated people.  And we can all just keep our fingers crossed that a mutation doesn't arise that somehow becomes vaccine-resistant.

Excellent summary, though I think there will still be places that will demand masks or proof of vaccinations, more the latter than the former.

And good luck to those who refuse to be vaccinated or wear masks - I hope someone keeps track of how many of them are infected in the future, which might persuade some of them to get their heads out of their asses and get the shots.

Meanwhile, the US will soon top 600,000 officially dead from Covid (and many more uncounted).

@irwin posted:

So explain this:  8 members of the NY Yankee organization have tested positive. All of them had the JNJ shot.  See, https://sports.yahoo.com/yanke...-week-205224275.html

1) Was the vaccine batch adulterated? 2) Did they not really get the vaccine? 3) What is the explanation for this?

J&J has a 74% effective rate. However, I believe it's rate in preventing  serious hospitalization or death is closer to 100%. Statistical anomalies  are to be expected with hundreds of millions of doses. Obviously the close proximity of the players was a factor. One of the expected benefits of the vaccine is to keep people fom dying and out of the hospitals.

The bottom line is your house party is fine but unvaccinated people are going to find that they are going to have to assess the risk of going indoors.  They can spread it amongst themselves and lie in their bed (hospital) or coffin. Not us anymore.

Lastly people with children, who currently can't get the vaccine, are gonna have to make decisions about going places with unmasked people when you can't be sure they  are vaccinated people.

@irwin posted:

So explain this:  8 members of the NY Yankee organization have tested positive. All of them had the JNJ shot.  See, https://sports.yahoo.com/yanke...-week-205224275.html

1) Was the vaccine batch adulterated? 2) Did they not really get the vaccine? 3) What is the explanation for this?

Even after vaccination, your body has to build the appropriate defense cells to attack the virus in your system.

If you were doing something like ... going on a heavy binging streak, drugs, lack of sleep and your immune system is weakened, your body might not produce enough defense cells to attack the virus infection leading you to get infected.

I'd imagine highly paid sports individuals are probably the kind that don't particularly care as much in terms of staying away from places where they might have a high chance of catching covid.

Then there's this from Yahoo: "This week's taping of Real Time With Bill Maher has been canceled after its eponymous host tested positive for COVID-19. Bill Maher, who is fully vaccinated and currently asymptomatic, tested positive during weekly staff testing, according to an announcement from the HBO talk show. Maher 'feels fine,' the show said, and no other staff or crew members have tested positive at this time."

I was just listening to the radio and the doctor who was talking said that the vaccines are about 97% effective against symptomatic Covid and about 86% effective against asymptomatic Covid.  If correct, there are a lot of people who are vaccinated and can get asymptomatic Covid.  I don't know what the transmission rate is amongst such vaccinated folks.

But it's another reason to get the shot.  If you are unvaccinated and hanging out with a group of vaccinated people, there is still a chance that one of the vaccinated people might actually have Covid.  And might be able to pass it along to you, an unvaccinated (and thus easily infectible) person.  The risks to the other vaccinated people is very very low.

@Rothko posted:

I was just listening to the radio and the doctor who was talking said that the vaccines are about 97% effective against symptomatic Covid and about 86% effective against asymptomatic Covid.  If correct, there are a lot of people who are vaccinated and can get asymptomatic Covid.  I don't know what the transmission rate is amongst such vaccinated folks.

But it's another reason to get the shot.  If you are unvaccinated and hanging out with a group of vaccinated people, there is still a chance that one of the vaccinated people might actually have Covid.  And might be able to pass it along to you, an unvaccinated (and thus easily infectible) person.  The risks to the other vaccinated people is very very low.

i'd be curious to read what doctor said that, as if he knew there's a difference between teh covid strains?  It sounds very scientifically awkward to make such distinction.

Travel to Florida...... We're supposed to visit on Father's Day weekend.  About 83% of Marylanders 65 and over have had at least one shot.  Slightly over 2/3 of all adult Marylanders have had at least one shot.  We heard that in Florida, next to no one wears a mask, vaccination rates are low, and people are oblivious to social distancing.  Not crazy about this upcoming trip.

@irwin posted:

Travel to Florida...... We're supposed to visit on Father's Day weekend.  About 83% of Marylanders 65 and over have had at least one shot.  Slightly over 2/3 of all adult Marylanders have had at least one shot.  We heard that in Florida, next to no one wears a mask, vaccination rates are low, and people are oblivious to social distancing.  Not crazy about this upcoming trip.

I just got back from Clearwater Beach Florida and I can say without a single doubt in my mind that little to none are wearing masks in Florida.  Little to no social distancing.  For all intents and purposes the pandemic is over in Florida.

@Rothko posted:

So is Covid over?   It seems like anyone 12 years or older can get the vaccine at the drop of a hat (I feel terrible for other countries who are where we were at in December/January re: access to vaccines).

The numbers are going down and are expected to continue to decline.

If only 50% have a first shot it ain't over. And if a third refuse to take any shots it ain't gonna be over any time soon.

What is wrong with you people?  If X percent have contracted Covid, they do not need the vaccine.  The elderly and people with co-morbidity should get vaccinated. People who have previously had Covid and the young do not need it.  You will still arrive at herd immunity.  You would arrive at herd immunity without a vaccine eventually.  The mortality rate for Covid is less than 2%.  And that is for everyone.  Mortality rate for healthy people is way less.  We have $34M positive cases in the U.S.  Around 10% of the population...and we upended everything and have wasted a tremendous amount of $.  Just a tragedy.  Fuaci's staff is only 60% vaccinated along with the same percentage or so for the CDC staff. Not everyone needs it. 

@billhike posted:

Who turned over the rock and freed the maggot? That’s one of his more idiotic posts - which is really saying something.

Since the 9/11 attacks only had a mortality rate of .000009, I guess we really overreacted to that event. Fucking worthless moron.

I believe that maggots live in rotting flesh rather than under rocks.  But I take your point.....

@jcocktosten posted:

Depends where in Florida to some extent - although I doubt anywhere is great

I think the pandemic isn't over. A good bit of the reaction to it, including masks, etc. is over.  I intend to wear a mask for awhile.  I have gotten used to it.  Frankly, I probably look better with a mask, as it draws attention to my beautiful eyes.

When I go for a long walk in Florida, I'll not need to wear it.  But, if I should go into a store, for sure, I will wear it.  And, for the most part, I'll be avoiding the shopping mall, a part of the visit which I will not miss in any event.

I find it amusing that these same people who argue anti mask, would certainly wear a mask if they were travelling to parts of the world where the air quality isn't safe to breathe.

There is a logical disconnect just because they can't see a virus.

I'd imagine these same idiots make the same illogical statement when being in space and saying they don't need to wear a spacesuit because, you know, it doesn't protect from all forms of space radiation.

@irwin posted:

Relax and have a nice trip to the Sunshine State.  I was there two weeks ago.  It was the same as everywhere else:  masks required in airports, hotel lobbies and in restaurants from the entrance to your table.

@irwin posted:

I'm ready.  Got my masks.  Will be nice to get away from the darn cicadas for a few days.  Apparently the percentage of vaccinated people in Broward and Palm Beach counties is pretty comparable to Maryland.

We head to Destin, Florida tomorrow for a week, interesting to see how that part of the state is.  My wife and I and our 13 year old son are all vaccinated, but our 10 year old is not.  Obviously taking all of the precautions coming and going and while down there. 

@irwin posted:

I'm ready.  Got my masks.  Will be nice to get away from the darn cicadas for a few days.  Apparently the percentage of vaccinated people in Broward and Palm Beach counties is pretty comparable to Maryland.

We are banging along at 39% vaccinated, one of the worst in the USA.  I know some folks that refuse to get the shots, and run around maskless, even in close indoor quarters.   Se FL has more idiots per square mile than Texas

Sadly Bill Maher continued his pro-disease nonsense with a anti-mask screed. "This mask bullshit..." and off he went. Yes it's time to loosen up but as a courtesy, in certain situations, such as around the currently unvaccinatedable, ie children including infants, would it kill you to put on a mask? We are still averaging a "9/11" every week. If I'm doing my math right, this is about twice the yearly flu death rate.

If you take the annual death rate from the worst flu season in the last decade (2017-2018 = 61,000 deaths), that's about 167 people per day.  If the Covid death rate drops to that level (the current 7 day average, per the CDC, is 347), then I can envision people arguing that since Covid is no longer any worse than the flu (death-wise) that we should handle it the way we do the flu - which means basically just go live your lives and not worry anymore.

@Rothko posted:

You know, if I wasn't vaccinated, I'd be a bit concerned about this "Delta" variant that is quickly spreading around.

Might be a good idea to be concerned anyways.  Israel and the Seychelles are into another wave of infections due to Delta even though most of the population is fully vaccinated.  We were happy to get Moderna for our second shot after a first shot of AstraZeneca as current data seems to say that mixing two different styles of vaccine offers the greatest protection against all the variants.  Though that said given how the science continues to evolve, who knows what the data will reveal down the road?

From what I've read, the Seychelles problem is that they were all given one of the Chinese vaccines, and there are considerable doubts about its efficacy.  So even though they were heavily "vaccinated", the vaccine isn't very good.  Lots of breakthrough cases.

In Israel, it seems to mostly be the unvaccinated folks: children, people who refused to get the shots, people who only have gotten one shot.  But there are some people who are fully vaccinated who are coming up positive as well.  What the article said is that the Pfizer vaccine, which was like 95 % effective against the original strains, is only around 85 % effective against the Delta variant, so there are going to be more vaccinated people who may come down with it as well.

If you are fully vaccinated, but fall into one of the high-risk groups, you might want to be very careful.

About 153 employees at Houston Methodist hospital were fired or resigned after refusing to take the Covid vaccine.  That's out of 25,000 who did take it.  More hospitals have implemented the "take it or get fired" policy, which has been upheld in court so far.  Most hospitals have mandated flu vaccines, etc. in the past as well.

@Rothko posted:

About 153 employees at Houston Methodist hospital were fired or resigned after refusing to take the Covid vaccine.  That's out of 25,000 who did take it.  More hospitals have implemented the "take it or get fired" policy, which has been upheld in court so far.  Most hospitals have mandated flu vaccines, etc. in the past as well.

I hope ALL medical facilities from hospitals to doctors offices nationwide mandate it and you're fired if you don't take it.  Next up I'm hoping some major large private employers with public facing employees like UPS and Amazon mandate it next.  Let the employees sue ala Houston Methodist.  Let's get this show on the road.

You may or may not have heard about the Covid outbreak at the IT department of a county building in Manatee County, Florida.  Six people got infected all at the same time; 4 were hospitalized and 2 died (both were under 60 years of age).  None of the 6 who got infected were vaccinated.  The only person in the IT department who wasn't affected was vaccinated.

Haven't posted much over 20 years here, but:

Let's celebrate the genius of Charles Darwin!!

Darwin's Law  of natural selection: The failure to vaccinate enough % gives the virus time to mutate into more virulent and infective forms, more and more resistant to vaccines or meds, and which over time will dominate. This is the societal risk to us all created by antivaxxers. The time needed to reach herd immunity naturally [ years] means essentially the same thing. Expect the 600k toll to continue to rise again with the delta and other variants not yet existant.  It is possible by the fall we face a virus with a different form of the spike protein eg different antigenicity resistant to antibodies, which means a new vaccine [as w flu] is required for us all.

Darwin's Awards: The antivaxxers are now the ones sickened and dying at highest rates, especially in mentally deficient 20-40 yo " I'm invincible " group; live in mostly noncoastal Red/Red Neck states and rural areas, are also people less educated and more prone to conspiracy theories, and triple whammy, also suffer with less access to hospitals and medical care; are spending $$$ on ineffective "treatments" eschewing effective and free vaccines; the burden on health providers progresses and some will quit/retire as a result, and others lose jobs [eg Texas] leading to understaffing where most needed [of course, why would anyone who works in COVID Central ie hospitals not want vaccination is beyond me ]. The Darwin Award for 2021 goes to them all; as preventable individual risk leads to continued personal and local financial toll on them most of all, as perpetual risk will affect preferentially these areas' businesses and tourism.

Go Mets

@drtannin 2 posted:

Darwin's Awards: The antivaxxers are now the ones sickened and dying at highest rates, especially in mentally deficient 20-40 yo " I'm invincible " group; live in mostly noncoastal Red/Red Neck states and rural areas, are also people less educated and more prone to conspiracy theories, and triple whammy, also suffer with less access to hospitals and medical care; are spending $$$ on ineffective "treatments" eschewing effective and free vaccines; the burden on health providers progresses and some will quit/retire as a result, and others lose jobs [eg Texas] leading to understaffing where most needed [of course, why would anyone who works in COVID Central ie hospitals not want vaccination is beyond me ]. The Darwin Award for 2021 goes to them all; as preventable individual risk leads to continued personal and local financial toll on them most of all, as perpetual risk will affect preferentially these areas' businesses and tourism.

Go Mets

I'd like to have a corner on the bleach and flashlight markets down there.

javachip, the article is unclear as to whether that hospital had 25,000 employees or the "Houston health care chain" has 25,000 or even beyond that.  Methodist is huge here in Texas.  We have several Methodist facilities here in North Texas including what I believe to be the original location "Central Methodist" on the edge of downtown Dallas in Oak Cliff.

Last edited by wineismylife
@drtannin 2 posted:

The Darwin Award for 2021 goes to them all; as preventable individual risk leads to continued personal and local financial toll on them most of all, as perpetual risk will affect preferentially these areas' businesses and tourism.

Go Mets

Studies show roughly 20-30% of hospital workers remain unvaccinated. That includes people who don't actively care for patients, but the divide between those that got vaccinated and those that didn't, is along similar socioeconomic and education lines as in the country as a whole.  I suspect, as with the flu, hospitals will mandate vaccines, or, if refused, mandate masking and gloving within the grounds proper. And other staff, will know who they are...the masks telltale of the unstuck.

This is actually already legally upheld based on prior casework; mandated vaccination for the flu has successfully been challenged by few, mostly on religious grounds, but the far greater impact/ severity of COVID disease to the medical-hospital system will likely give any challenges to mandates little leeway and less viability.  Stay tuned.

In vino veritas

No comment needed.

"GOP governors implored their residents on Sunday to get vaccinated against the coronavirus, as polling shows that vaccine hesitancy has been driven by Republicans and as the virus's new, more contagious delta variant has caused recent upticks in covid-19 cases in areas with low vaccination rates."

When you're the party of non-science and lies is this really any surprise?

@The Old Man posted:

No comment needed.

"GOP governors implored their residents on Sunday to get vaccinated against the coronavirus, as polling shows that vaccine hesitancy has been driven by Republicans and as the virus's new, more contagious delta variant has caused recent upticks in covid-19 cases in areas with low vaccination rates."

When you're the party of non-science and lies is this really any surprise?

Natural Selection at work

It's interesting to see what the Delta variant is doing in the UK.  The UK has a vaccination rate similar to the US and their cases had gone way down.  The Delta variant got into the UK sooner than in the US, and it has become the dominant strain.  Now the case loads are going up again in the UK significantly.

I think we are looking at a similar uptick soon.  The one difference is that, from what I read, in the UK they were pushing lots of people to get a single dose of vaccine and then waiting to give the second dose for much longer  - in the US, we pushed people to get their second dose either 3 weeks (Pfizer) or 4 weeks (Moderna), so we have fewer people wandering around with only one dose in their bodies.  The Delta variant seems to be able to overcome single-dose immune systems pretty easily.

@Rothko posted:

It's interesting to see what the Delta variant is doing in the UK.  The UK has a vaccination rate similar to the US and their cases had gone way down.  The Delta variant got into the UK sooner than in the US, and it has become the dominant strain.  Now the case loads are going up again in the UK significantly.

I think we are looking at a similar uptick soon.  The one difference is that, from what I read, in the UK they were pushing lots of people to get a single dose of vaccine and then waiting to give the second dose for much longer  - in the US, we pushed people to get their second dose either 3 weeks (Pfizer) or 4 weeks (Moderna), so we have fewer people wandering around with only one dose in their bodies.  The Delta variant seems to be able to overcome single-dose immune systems pretty easily.

I should be able to let you know soon how well the J&J does against the variant.

@Rothko posted:

Agree but there was no push. the recommended time came from the data both vaccine companies collected.

Any fully-vaccinated Canadians looking at taking advantage of the quarantine "exemption", prepare for at least a 4-5 day quarantine while waiting for tests to be completed.  My wife returned from the US Monday night, presented her PCR test taken the same day, took her test at the border, and will not have the results back from the test that was taken at the border until Friday at the earliest.  The lab is able to return results within 24 hours (we know because we've been tested there 8 times between the two of us) when one pays for the test.  The government of course didn't even deliver the sample to the lab for 2 days, and is asking for a 48 hour turnaround on the tests even though they could be done in 24 hours per the guy at the lab.  No quarantine equals 5 day unnecessary quarantine in Canada.

"Fans banned at Olympics; Tokyo under state of emergency."

This thing is far from over; it's getting worse here too. You can thank the Trumpublican (AKA the GQP) party for this. "Biden pushing a vaccine that is NOT FDA approved shows covid is a political tool used to control people. People have a choice, they don't need your medical brown shirts showing up at their door ordering vaccinations." Yep, she's still on that Nazi kick.

@csm posted:

Any fully-vaccinated Canadians looking at taking advantage of the quarantine "exemption", prepare for at least a 4-5 day quarantine while waiting for tests to be completed.  My wife returned from the US Monday night, presented her PCR test taken the same day, took her test at the border, and will not have the results back from the test that was taken at the border until Friday at the earliest.  The lab is able to return results within 24 hours (we know because we've been tested there 8 times between the two of us) when one pays for the test.  The government of course didn't even deliver the sample to the lab for 2 days, and is asking for a 48 hour turnaround on the tests even though they could be done in 24 hours per the guy at the lab.  No quarantine equals 5 day unnecessary quarantine in Canada.

Interesting. I've had to get tested a few times for various reasons. At my local clinic, the turnaround time is about 3 hours.

With all the news about the Delta variant, I haven't seen anything about previously infected Covid patients catching the Delta variant.  Has anyone seen anything about that?

If the Delta variant isn't causing new infections in previous patients, then we know that the old version of Covid grants immunity to Delta, and thus, the vaccines based on the old version do as well.

@Rothko posted:

With all the news about the Delta variant, I haven't seen anything about previously infected Covid patients catching the Delta variant.  Has anyone seen anything about that?

No. but I have this: I know the statistics (and I still feel good about them) but my ex-wife's close friend, who was 2-dose vaccinated, spent time with someone not vaccinated. The unvaxed, who is 65, is on a ventilator and the friend, AND her 2-dose vaccinated roommate both discovered they had covid when they had mild flu symptoms. Neither of them is serious but both are still dealing with the illness.

This is greatly at the feet of the dumb-fucks, the majority which are Trumpanzies, who won't get vaccinated. What kind of people applaud and cheer when they hear the US is not meeting its vaccination goals?

@The Old Man posted:

No. but I have this: I know the statistics (and I still feel good about them) but my ex-wife's close friend, who was 2-dose vaccinated, spent time with someone not vaccinated. The unvaxed, who is 65, is on a ventilator and the friend, AND her 2-dose vaccinated roommate both discovered they had covid when they had mild flu symptoms. Neither of them is serious but both are still dealing with the illness.

This is greatly at the feet of the dumb-fucks, the majority which are Trumpanzies, who won't get vaccinated. What kind of people applaud and cheer when they hear the US is not meeting its vaccination goals?

99% of people dying are unvaccinated.  The numbers and science don't lie.  The sad this is, like you stated above, the ramifications aren't isolated to only the unvaccinated. 

QAnencephalics are everywhere spreading rotten advice...facts are

1-Vaccine is working. In Va, 99.3% of new infections last 2 months are in unvaccinated. 67% of state has been partially [1 of 2 shots] or completely vaccinated. We are seeing the trial data play out LIVE!

2- Vaccine is safe. 1/1M deaths w vaccine; 2% deaths from COVID or 20,000/1M w/o vaccine. Doesn't even factor in those who survive w persistent post infectious disease or morbidity. Nor the more pernicious variants that will keep on coming as mutations spring up from the infected.

Do the right thing for you, your loved ones, and society!  Get the FREE vaccine

I just read that 20% of the current Covid cases are arising in Florida.  20% of the national cases in one single state.

I don't know where in Florida:  the southern cities vs. the north part of the state or the panhandle.

In any event, the Governor has made it clear there will be no mitigation orders of any kind.  Covid - Delta variant will just run its course.

@Rothko posted:

I just read that 20% of the current Covid cases are arising in Florida.  20% of the national cases in one single state.

I don't know where in Florida:  the southern cities vs. the north part of the state or the panhandle.

In any event, the Governor has made it clear there will be no mitigation orders of any kind.  Covid - Delta variant will just run its course.

20% in Florida as you say.  Top 4 are Arkansas, Florida, Missouri and Nevada.  Cases are rising in ALL 50 states at this time.  LA county will reinstate their indoor mask mandate this Saturday at midnight.  Vegas is now asking everyone to wear a mask indoors including casinos.  Not sure if it is mandatory...yet.

@The Old Man posted:

From the LA Times: "Eric Clapton is staying the course with his beliefs about COVID-19 vaccines: He recently announced that he won’t be performing 'where there is a discriminated audience present.' That means the guitar hero won’t play concerts in venues that require ticket-holders to be vaccinated.

What a tool.

they should honestly lock down.  everyone. 2 weeks but that's too hard, which in that case, i don't mind if no one else gets entertainment either