Skip to main content

Here is current Maryland data:

• 98% of Marylanders 65 and older have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
  • 85.9% of Marylanders 18 and older have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
  • 84.9% of Marylanders 12 and older have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
  • Maryland has administered 279,297 booster shots, and state health officials continue to conduct outreach to eligible individuals.
@Rothko posted:

Read about an interesting poll today.  Over 70% of unvaccinated workers say they would quit if their employer requires a vaccine mandate.

Same poll says that only 5% of unvaccinated workers who have had a vaccine mandate imposed by their employer have actually quit.

That may be a misleading statistic as I don't think a lot of employers have fleshed out the consequences of not meeting the mandate.  But I agree that a significant portion of that 70% are very likely saying that to try and pressure their employers and wouldn't actually pull the trigger (or the trigger would be delayed pending finding another job that doesn't require vaccinations - but do they really want to move to Florida? ).

@The Old Man posted:

I've been vaxxed to the max. 2 and a 1/2 weeks ago Pfizer booster. Last week flu shot. Wednesday, pneumonia in one arm, shingles in the other. If you haven't had the shingle shot, there's a shot that really hurts going in. Of course it requires a second shot a few months later!

Got my Pfizer booster last week, my flu shot yesterday, and my 2nd Shingles shot will be some time next week. I generally only have about a day's arm pain from any vaccine, but yeah, that shingles one hurt for 3 days.

@seaquam posted:

You’ve piqued my curiosity, napacat:  what criteria do you use to declare him “one of the best governors”?

"It's not much of a cheese shop, is it?"

"Finest in the district, sir!"

"Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please."

"Well, it's so clean, sir."

"It's certainly uncontaminated by any cheese."

Just replace a word here or there, and you have an answer.

@irwin posted:

Got my booster today at a local grocery store pharmacy.

Now that I will live forever, I can resume buying newly released Bordeaux to lay down for 25 years.

Sounds like a good plan! I had my booster two weeks ago. Honestly now it feels like we gonna wear masks forever.  Am i the only one who is really tired to wear them and all the time worry to forget one? I ordered myself a big cartoon box of them from canadian pharmacy at the beginning of the year and it is almost over now. I feel super sorry for our planet

Last edited by Mirkos
@Mirkos posted:

Honestly now it feels like we gonna wear masks forever.  Am i the only one who is really tired to wear them and all the time worry to forget one?

When you still have a significant portion of the population made up of knuckleheads who won't get vaccinated there isn't much you can do. Also from now on doctors' offices and medical facilities will all permanently require masks.

Last edited by The Old Man

Good news that the Pfizer vaccine has been approved for kids ages 5-11.  I am hopeful that many parents will get their kids vaccinated.  I am sure there will be some who will resist, thinking that if their kids get Covid they won't have any serious problems with the virus.  That's still taking a risk, in my opinion.

I don't have children in that age range, but if I did, I'd be getting them the vaccine, like today.

About a year ago I was wondering how Covid was going to be handled in movies and TV. Watching Curb Your Enthusiasm's new season I noted that Larry David made the same decision as did almost all movies, sitcoms, soap operas and dramas--to set the show in a parallel universe where Covid doesn't exist. I wondered what Bosch was going to do since they were shooting in LA in the middle of this thing. There, I think in the final episode, Maddie mentions that she read about this new virus that was affecting a few people. However, by the time the currently untitled spin-off starts I'm guessing that again there will be no mention of it.

@irwin posted:

Here is something not necessarily related to the thread, for which I apologize in advance, but related to Florida politics.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rep...felon-183457535.html

It is amazing how many loons, thugs, scoundrels, villains, and thieves, ie members of local 12 Rocky /Bullwinkle Show are being elected to office.  Worse, can that many Americans be sheeple to these forked tongue blowhards propaganda?  The loss of integrity and sense of shame is very disheartening

@drtannin 2 posted:

It is amazing how many loons, thugs, scoundrels, villains, and thieves, ie members of local 12 Rocky /Bullwinkle Show are being elected to office.  Worse, can that many Americans be sheeple to these forked tongue blowhards propaganda?  The loss of integrity and sense of shame is very disheartening

sure is.  Now, there are some conservatives and Republicans who are honest and decent, and some lunatic and crazy Democrats and liberals.  The great majority of Americans are way more moderate than the crazies on either side.  At least I think so.

@irwin posted:

sure is.  Now, there are some conservatives and Republicans who are honest and decent, and some lunatic and crazy Democrats and liberals.  The great majority of Americans are way more moderate than the crazies on either side.  At least I think so.

Get rid of the party-based primary system, which allows the crazies on either extreme to pick the candidates, and things should be at least somewhat better.  Ditto winner-takes-all state elections for President.

@irwin posted:

False equivalence. There is only one party that is trying to extinguish democracy. And you know which one that is.

@bman posted:

Get rid of the party-based primary system, which allows the crazies on either extreme to pick the candidates, and things should be at least somewhat better.  Ditto winner-takes-all state elections for President.

Jon Haidt is campaigning to get rid of party primaries; on primary day everyone votes for his top choice; the top 5 candidates wind up on the ballot and then a preferential ballot is used with a single transferable vote. (See “ranked choice voting” in Maine and now Alaska, in Democratic primary for NYC mayor, etc.) l wholly endorse that idea and I think it will become more popular. Sadly, we won’t be able to amend the Constitution to change how we vote for President.

@Rothko posted:

Good news that the Pfizer vaccine has been approved for kids ages 5-11.  I am hopeful that many parents will get their kids vaccinated.  I am sure there will be some who will resist, thinking that if their kids get Covid they won't have any serious problems with the virus.  That's still taking a risk, in my opinion.

I don't have children in that age range, but if I did, I'd be getting them the vaccine, like today.

Winner! Dumbest post of the year.

@Rothko posted:

We are taking our 10 year old on Saturday, very much looking forward to having a fully vaccinated household (our 13 year old is already vaxxed ). 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.