Skip to main content

The polling right now in Florida is indicating that a substantial majority of people here blame DeSantis for the Covid surge, and don't think he is doing enough to help fight it, and in fact is hurting things with his efforts to invalidate mask mandates, his fights with the school districts, vaccine passports, etc.

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-61...l?fr=sycsrp_catchall

The number of deaths in Florida just reached a new daily high.  And I think those numbers will continue for a while.

But, this surge is going to end.  The numbers of Covid infections, hospitalizations, and deaths will go back down eventually.  According to a USF model, we may be reaching peak now, and infections will soon be dropping. 

The question is, will the Florida voters remember this time, or forget about it, by the time the 2022 gubernatorial election is held?

@Rothko posted:

The polling right now in Florida is indicating that a substantial majority of people here blame DeSantis for the Covid surge, and don't think he is doing enough to help fight it, and in fact is hurting things with his efforts to invalidate mask mandates, his fights with the school districts, vaccine passports, etc.

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-61...l?fr=sycsrp_catchall

The number of deaths in Florida just reached a new daily high.  And I think those numbers will continue for a while.

But, this surge is going to end.  The numbers of Covid infections, hospitalizations, and deaths will go back down eventually.  According to a USF model, we may be reaching peak now, and infections will soon be dropping.

The question is, will the Florida voters remember this time, or forget about it, by the time the 2022 gubernatorial election is held?

I have no doubt either thr delta + the episilon or the lambda variant will remind everyone it is still around.

Call me a pessimist but covid didnt have to be like this but now that there are multiple strains out there with only at best a 6 month protection for vaccinated and previously infected with younger and younger kids infected.

In my opinion covid will mutate into one of the more deadlier strains like what MERS was and people would just drop so fast there will be nothing we can do

My wife found out today that one of her friends suffered a heart attack a couple days ago at their mountain cabin. Her husband rushed her to the hospital (I'm not sure which one), and it was full up with COVID patients. She had to be attended to in some outbuilding in the parking lot. Fortunately, she pulled through, but it could have gone either way.

IMO, anyone who refuses to take the vaccine should have to sign something saying that they agree they will not be allowed access to major medical care if they contract the virus.

Last edited by mneeley490

I think that basically everyone in the US will ultimately get Covid.  It's too transmissible.  But those of us who have been vaccinated will either not know we have it, because it is asymptomatic, or, our symptoms will be minor inconveniences.  Maybe we'll be sick  for a day or two.

Those persons who stubbornly insist that the vaccines are a bad thing, for one illogical and uninformed reason or another, will get Covid, and a number of them will wind up in the hospital or worse.

Per the Dep't of Health and Human Services, life expectancy in the US is now calculated to be one year below what it was pre-Covid.

nothing like ingesting more chlorine in your body because you don't wanna get a vaccine.

"Supply shortages meant that utilities in Orlando only had enough oxygen to safely treat a two-week supply of water as of Wednesday, according to WFTV. Meanwhile, Tampa Bay Water told its customers that the shortage has forced them to change the way that they treat water and that they should expect a change in taste since more bleach would need to be used."

There were 6000 calls to the Poison Control center in Texas last week, from Ivermectin overdoses by antivaxxers. Nothing like taking an animal antiparasitic to prevent COVID; even the horses are laughing.

A recent study out of England confirmed 9x increased degree of substantial blood clots from COVID in unvaccinated than in vaccinated people.

Antivaxxers/antimaskers continue to show wit and wisdom in public meetings concerning school masking for kids.  Assaulting teachers, staging disruptions, tring to show how spoons stick to vaccinated arms. Somehow the US is the only country that refuses both vaccines and masks, basically sending kids to slaughter while touting "Right to Life"

Antivaxxers find ever more excuses, the latest that the government is in cahoots with big pharma after the announcing "full" approval of the vaccine. Pfizer's new marketing ad with a Big Blue Pill front and center should be "You trusted your penis to us, why not the rest of your body?"

"There were 6000 calls to the Poison Control center in Texas last week, from Ivermectin overdoses by antivaxxers. Nothing like taking an animal antiparasitic to prevent COVID; even the horses are laughing."

There are alot of idiots around.  The horses are laughing? Neigh!

Years ago I had tendinitis in my wrist. Doc prescribed a drug called butazoladine. (spelling?)  I got better.  Some years later the problem came back. Went to the same doc.  I reminded him of the earlier Rx, and he said, "We don't give that anymore."  I asked, "why not?"  He said, "It killed too many people."

Butazoladine was given to racehorses to hide their arthritic and joint pain.  I did notice that when I was on it, I had a tremendous desire to stand in my backyard and eat hay.

In Peru - double mask wearing was required indoors and faceshields also on buses and trains.  Largely population compliant and no issues.

Flight home, first things we see and hear is a woman pronouncing she is an anti-vaxxer and another moron in an anti-Fauci shirt with something about public enemy.  I muttered to myself I was going to change into my "you are a moron" t-shirt.

@drtannin 2 posted:

There were 6000 calls to the Poison Control center in Texas last week, from Ivermectin overdoses by antivaxxers. Nothing like taking an animal antiparasitic to prevent COVID; even the horses are laughing.

A recent study out of England confirmed 9x increased degree of substantial blood clots from COVID in unvaccinated than in vaccinated people.

Antivaxxers/antimaskers continue to show wit and wisdom in public meetings concerning school masking for kids.  Assaulting teachers, staging disruptions, tring to show how spoons stick to vaccinated arms. Somehow the US is the only country that refuses both vaccines and masks, basically sending kids to slaughter while touting "Right to Life"

Antivaxxers find ever more excuses, the latest that the government is in cahoots with big pharma after the announcing "full" approval of the vaccine. Pfizer's new marketing ad with a Big Blue Pill front and center should be "You trusted your penis to us, why not the rest of your body?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pol...-took-152556970.html

CNN: "The European Union recommended on Monday that Americans should be banned from nonessential travel to its member states after a rise in Covid-19 cases in the United States.
"Countries within the 27-nation bloc, which includes France, Italy and Germany, have been advised to reinstate coronavirus-related restrictions and halt the arrival of tourists from the US and five other countries."

We're #1, we're #1!

More evidence of the longer-term impact of Covid on America's well-being:

"""The federal government expects U.S. mortality rates to be elevated by 15 percent over pre-pandemic norms in 2021 and not return to normal levels until 2023, according to a report released Tuesday by the Trustees of the Social Security and Medicare programs.

The trustees concluded that these elevated mortality rates, along with lower immigration and depressed fertility rates, have had a significant effect on the trust funds supporting both programs in the short term. But the virus’ long-term effects on America’s retirement and healthcare systems remain unclear, as the pandemic still appears far from over.

More than 600,000 Americans have died from the coronavirus pandemic that began in early 2020, and case levels have increased in recent weeks, leading to projections of a spike in deaths later this year. Deaths are also increasing but vaccinations against the virus should keep total mortality well below peak levels of more than 3,300 per day that the nation experienced in January, experts believe."""

According to the CDC, it is estimated that over 83% of Americans had Covid antibodies, from either prior infection or the vaccine by May 2021, before the latest Delta surge began.  That's from a statistical study; the actual rate may be different, of course.

But makes you wonder...  If 83% of Americans already had some level of immunity, is this current surge just gobbling up the last 17% of Americans?  If so, shouldn't we be at herd immunity, if that really exists, very soon?

@Rothko posted:

But makes you wonder...  If 83% of Americans already had some level of immunity, is this current surge just gobbling up the last 17% of Americans?  If so, shouldn't we be at herd immunity, if that really exists, very soon?

From one of the many many articles you will find that explains that the immunity from infection is not as good as the vaccination.

"A prior infection offers protection in the range of 80%, compared to about 95% for the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, said Dr. John Wherry, director of the Institute for Immunology at the Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania. That means about 15 to 20 out of every 100 people who have previously had COVID-19 could get reinfected, while 5 out of every 100 people who got an mRNA vaccine might get infected."

Also there is a timeline to infected protection which appears to be 6 months to less than a year.

Last edited by The Old Man

Here is the latest data from the CDC for Maryland, where we apparently have fewer morons per square mile than some other states:

• 95% of Marylanders 65 and older have received at least one dose.
  • 81.5% of Marylanders 18 and older have received at least one dose.
  • 80.4% of Marylanders 12 and older have received at least one dose.
@irwin posted:

Here is the latest data from the CDC for Maryland, where we apparently have fewer morons per square mile than some other states:

• 95% of Marylanders 65 and older have received at least one dose.
  • 81.5% of Marylanders 18 and older have received at least one dose.
  • 80.4% of Marylanders 12 and older have received at least one dose.

How many are fully vaccinated?  And is it presumed that those with only one dose will all or almost all get their second dose?

My friend and I are going to Louisville next week to resume the Bourbon Trail. We're both vaccinated, but he's not as religious as I am about wearing a mask or refraining from group gatherings. He also has multiple underlying conditions, that makes me nervous. So far, I haven't heard as much about Kentucky as I have the neighboring states.

Last edited by mneeley490

That's my hope.  Not a lot os masks there though last time I was there in May.

Interested to hear what you find on this trip.  Last few times there I/we felt the list was a little 'picked over'.  I know that sounds impossible but it seemed that way. 

Best part is we stay at the Marriott across the street which makes it easy to bring any unfinished bottles back for a night cap.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.