Skip to main content

@irwin posted:

So explain this:  8 members of the NY Yankee organization have tested positive. All of them had the JNJ shot.  See, https://sports.yahoo.com/yanke...-week-205224275.html

1) Was the vaccine batch adulterated? 2) Did they not really get the vaccine? 3) What is the explanation for this?

Even after vaccination, your body has to build the appropriate defense cells to attack the virus in your system.

If you were doing something like ... going on a heavy binging streak, drugs, lack of sleep and your immune system is weakened, your body might not produce enough defense cells to attack the virus infection leading you to get infected.

I'd imagine highly paid sports individuals are probably the kind that don't particularly care as much in terms of staying away from places where they might have a high chance of catching covid.

Then there's this from Yahoo: "This week's taping of Real Time With Bill Maher has been canceled after its eponymous host tested positive for COVID-19. Bill Maher, who is fully vaccinated and currently asymptomatic, tested positive during weekly staff testing, according to an announcement from the HBO talk show. Maher 'feels fine,' the show said, and no other staff or crew members have tested positive at this time."

I was just listening to the radio and the doctor who was talking said that the vaccines are about 97% effective against symptomatic Covid and about 86% effective against asymptomatic Covid.  If correct, there are a lot of people who are vaccinated and can get asymptomatic Covid.  I don't know what the transmission rate is amongst such vaccinated folks.

But it's another reason to get the shot.  If you are unvaccinated and hanging out with a group of vaccinated people, there is still a chance that one of the vaccinated people might actually have Covid.  And might be able to pass it along to you, an unvaccinated (and thus easily infectible) person.  The risks to the other vaccinated people is very very low.

@Rothko posted:

I was just listening to the radio and the doctor who was talking said that the vaccines are about 97% effective against symptomatic Covid and about 86% effective against asymptomatic Covid.  If correct, there are a lot of people who are vaccinated and can get asymptomatic Covid.  I don't know what the transmission rate is amongst such vaccinated folks.

But it's another reason to get the shot.  If you are unvaccinated and hanging out with a group of vaccinated people, there is still a chance that one of the vaccinated people might actually have Covid.  And might be able to pass it along to you, an unvaccinated (and thus easily infectible) person.  The risks to the other vaccinated people is very very low.

i'd be curious to read what doctor said that, as if he knew there's a difference between teh covid strains?  It sounds very scientifically awkward to make such distinction.

Travel to Florida...... We're supposed to visit on Father's Day weekend.  About 83% of Marylanders 65 and over have had at least one shot.  Slightly over 2/3 of all adult Marylanders have had at least one shot.  We heard that in Florida, next to no one wears a mask, vaccination rates are low, and people are oblivious to social distancing.  Not crazy about this upcoming trip.

@irwin posted:

Travel to Florida...... We're supposed to visit on Father's Day weekend.  About 83% of Marylanders 65 and over have had at least one shot.  Slightly over 2/3 of all adult Marylanders have had at least one shot.  We heard that in Florida, next to no one wears a mask, vaccination rates are low, and people are oblivious to social distancing.  Not crazy about this upcoming trip.

I just got back from Clearwater Beach Florida and I can say without a single doubt in my mind that little to none are wearing masks in Florida.  Little to no social distancing.  For all intents and purposes the pandemic is over in Florida.

@Rothko posted:

So is Covid over?   It seems like anyone 12 years or older can get the vaccine at the drop of a hat (I feel terrible for other countries who are where we were at in December/January re: access to vaccines).

The numbers are going down and are expected to continue to decline.

If only 50% have a first shot it ain't over. And if a third refuse to take any shots it ain't gonna be over any time soon.

What is wrong with you people?  If X percent have contracted Covid, they do not need the vaccine.  The elderly and people with co-morbidity should get vaccinated. People who have previously had Covid and the young do not need it.  You will still arrive at herd immunity.  You would arrive at herd immunity without a vaccine eventually.  The mortality rate for Covid is less than 2%.  And that is for everyone.  Mortality rate for healthy people is way less.  We have $34M positive cases in the U.S.  Around 10% of the population...and we upended everything and have wasted a tremendous amount of $.  Just a tragedy.  Fuaci's staff is only 60% vaccinated along with the same percentage or so for the CDC staff. Not everyone needs it. 

@billhike posted:

Who turned over the rock and freed the maggot? That’s one of his more idiotic posts - which is really saying something.

Since the 9/11 attacks only had a mortality rate of .000009, I guess we really overreacted to that event. Fucking worthless moron.

I believe that maggots live in rotting flesh rather than under rocks.  But I take your point.....

@jcocktosten posted:

Depends where in Florida to some extent - although I doubt anywhere is great

I think the pandemic isn't over. A good bit of the reaction to it, including masks, etc. is over.  I intend to wear a mask for awhile.  I have gotten used to it.  Frankly, I probably look better with a mask, as it draws attention to my beautiful eyes.

When I go for a long walk in Florida, I'll not need to wear it.  But, if I should go into a store, for sure, I will wear it.  And, for the most part, I'll be avoiding the shopping mall, a part of the visit which I will not miss in any event.

I find it amusing that these same people who argue anti mask, would certainly wear a mask if they were travelling to parts of the world where the air quality isn't safe to breathe.

There is a logical disconnect just because they can't see a virus.

I'd imagine these same idiots make the same illogical statement when being in space and saying they don't need to wear a spacesuit because, you know, it doesn't protect from all forms of space radiation.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.