Skip to main content

@Rothko posted:

I've heard that Florida is going to vaccinate non-Florida residents.  We have a lot of snowbirds from New York, New England, etc. that are down here.  I hadn't heard that we'll go ahead and give FREE (US taxpayer paid) Covid shots to non-US residents before other Florida residents can get it.  But hey, why not??

If the vaccine had come out in the summertime, there'd be a lot fewer people in Florida trying to get it.  My town goes from a year-round population of 10,000 to over 30,000 in the winter.

I've heard through the grapevine that one has to show a permanent Florida address, not just a hotel or something of that nature, if you're going to be vaccinated as a non-US resident.    There's also still the issue of actually getting an appointment to get the shot, which takes more than a song these days it seems.  Father-in-law and Mother-in-law both eligible now (US citizens and Florida residents - for tax purposes anyway), but can't get an appointment.

My niece, the nurse, got hers last week. Next door neighbor is a firefighter, so I'm guessing he'll be in the next round. I work for county gov't, and though I'm classified above "essential worker",  with the fancy "mission critical" designation, I haven't heard a peep about where I'm in line. I'd rather my wife, kids, and grandkids get theirs before I do.

Last edited by mneeley490
@Rothko posted:

Well, my dad got the Pfizer vaccine today.  But still trying to figure out how my mother can get an appointment.

At least in Palm Beach County, you either have to know somebody, or have great luck.

Depending on how mobile they are, you may want to look away from PB. My in-laws just got an appointment for their shots. They're in Naples, but are going to Avalon to get it as there are no appointments in Naples in the short term.

I did.  I was able to secure an appointment in Miami for my mother.  We are going down tomorrow for her to get it.

It really shouldn't have to be this way.  What a mess.

The articles about the Mack brothers and how they arranged for their wealthy friends at the Palm Beach Country Club to get vaccines from the Morse Health Center (where David Mack is the chairman) spell out exactly what I predicted:  wealthy donors using their influence to secure vaccines from hospitals and health foundations.

https://pagesix.com/2021/01/04...ccine-for-rich-pals/

@Rothko posted:

I did.  I was able to secure an appointment in Miami for my mother.  We are going down tomorrow for her to get it.

It really shouldn't have to be this way.  What a mess.

The articles about the Mack brothers and how they arranged for their wealthy friends at the Palm Beach Country Club to get vaccines from the Morse Health Center (where David Mack is the chairman) spell out exactly what I predicted:  wealthy donors using their influence to secure vaccines from hospitals and health foundations.

https://pagesix.com/2021/01/04...ccine-for-rich-pals/

Funny that these things don't seem to happen in countries with public sector health care systems. Or maybe it does and it's just not reported? 

@jcocktosten posted:

People are losing it about out-of-state residents and foreign nationals getting vaccines before others

I had to take 2 tests just to get a negative confirmation as they either lost or contaminated my first one

There does seem to be an appearance of impropriety that snowbirds and foreigners get the vaccine before regular Floridians.  I'm not sure what the answer is, though.  Lots of legitimate snowbirds live down here for many months in the winter.  Do we tell them to go back to their home states or countries?

@Rothko posted:

There does seem to be an appearance of impropriety that snowbirds and foreigners get the vaccine before regular Floridians.  I'm not sure what the answer is, though.  Lots of legitimate snowbirds live down here for many months in the winter.  Do we tell them to go back to their home states or countries?

yea, some people even illegally list private clubs as permanent residences to avoid paying state tax.  scumbags

Some interesting changes in the Federal guidance for the vaccines:

They are now recommending all states add the category of people 65 and older to the top tier category (many states, such as Florida and Texas are already doing it).

They are going to release the vaccine doses that were being withheld as the "second dose" and ship everything out to the states.  The idea is that you want to put all the vaccines into arms now, where there is at least a 50% efficacy on the first dose, and hope that the vaccine companies can crank out enough vaccine to meet the "second dose" requirements for everyone who gets a shot, plus extra to keep "first dose" vaccines going.

In addition, it looks like Johnson & Johnson will be releasing Phase 3 data in the next two weeks.  If it looks good and they can get approved in early February, there will be a lot more vaccine available, and the J&J vaccine has the advantage of being a "one shot" vaccine as opposed to Pfizer and Moderna, and that would simplify things a lot. 

.In addition, it looks like Johnson & Johnson will be releasing Phase 3 data in the next two weeks.  If it looks good and they can get approved in early February, there will be a lot more vaccine available, and the J&J vaccine has the advantage of being a "one shot" vaccine as opposed to Pfizer and Moderna, and that would simplify things a lot.

An old girlfriend of mine just got this as part of the trials. I think she's nuts because she might have gotten a placebo and won't know it for a number of weeks, possibly after even when she could have gotten one of the vaccines already approved. She was happy to get $250 she doesn't really need.

@Rothko posted:

Some interesting changes in the Federal guidance for the vaccines:

They are going to release the vaccine doses that were being withheld as the "second dose" and ship everything out to the states.  The idea is that you want to put all the vaccines into arms now, where there is at least a 50% efficacy on the first dose, and hope that the vaccine companies can crank out enough vaccine to meet the "second dose" requirements for everyone who gets a shot, plus extra to keep "first dose" vaccines going.

Second doses? Oh, sorry. That was just on paper. We didn't actually order any second doses.

Trump gifts us one more pile of sh!t before he leaves office. Thousands more will die because of this, and he wants a military sendoff? How about a flyby from a B-2 bomber?

@mneeley490 posted:

Second doses? Oh, sorry. That was just on paper. We didn't actually order any second doses.

Trump gifts us one more pile of sh!t before he leaves office. Thousands more will die because of this, and he wants a military sendoff? How about a flyby from a B-2 bomber?

"One more"  Sounds like you think that might be his last pile of $hit before he leaves office.  I bet it's not.

@mneeley490 posted:

Yes.  The 20 million doses that were supposed to be held back have somehow disappeared.

On a completely unrelated note, the Trump Organization just announced it sold 20 million doses of a brand new "Trump Vaccine" to Vladimir Putin, in a deal estimated to be worth $2 billion to the Trump family.

[That last bit was a joke.  I hope.]

Here is what I think: If you don’t have a vaccine or some other proof of my immunity or a legitimate medical reason not to take the vaccine, you won’t be welcome at a lot of places. I currently am writing an essay on this topic, to finish it I will use help of https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/. I’m sure exceptions will be made for people who have legitimate medical reasons but “I’m afraid of a needle” or “ i’m a self-appointed medical expert who knows the vaccine is bad” probably won’t work

Last edited by Rhow

Anyone get vaccinated yet?

Being over 65 yo, Mrs. H and I qualify.  The earliest we can get our first shot is March 17, and it's an hour drive (but we'll do it).  My 94 yo father, who does not spend a lot of time online trying desperately to find a venue, finally found a location, but it's a 6 hr round trip from where he lives.  And for the second shot, you have to go back to the place you got the first one.    Needless to say, he's just staying home.  This whole thing is a cluster f**k.

The vaccine is now going to be distributed by Publix Pharmacies down here in Florida, which is a good thing.  They are appointment only, and there is still massive demand compared to supply.  But as each person gets vaccinated, the demand will slowly decrease; and I fully expect supply to increase rapidly with the new Administration. 

Once it starts getting distributed to CVS, Walgreens, Kroger, Walmart, Costco, etc., I think we will see the numbers of vaccinations go up exponentially. 

What's ironic is that by this summer, they'll be giving away free vaccines on street corners.  Right now, getting one is like winning Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket.

Unfortunately not here.  I'm in group 1B and signed up earlier than most and got my appointment call at 830 PM Wednesday night saying be there tomorrow during my already scheduled surgery time.  So I had to cancel my appointment and sign back up at the back of the line.  I just hope since I'm 1B I'm at the back of the 1B line, not the whole line. 

Got my second Moderna vaccine dose yesterday.   No side effects after the first dose.  This time around, I've got malaise and minor headache and my arm is more sore, but nothing that can't be treated with Tylenol and caffeine. Small price to pay for immunity (that hopefully lasts greater than 3 months).

So, who else is ready for an offline?

@winedrmike posted:

Got my second Moderna vaccine dose yesterday.   No side effects after the first dose.  This time around, I've got malaise and minor headache and my arm is more sore, but nothing that can't be treated with Tylenol and caffeine. Small price to pay for immunity (that hopefully lasts greater than 3 months).

So, who else is ready for an offline?

Addendum: also developed fevers this afternoon.  I’m hearing through the grapevine that fever, myalgia and headache are common after the second dose. You may want to take the next off from work after your second dose, if possible.

The Publix vaccine situation turned out to be a major clusterf*@k yesterday.  250,000 people vying for 25,000 appointments around the state.  All appointments gobbled up within an hour, with most people not able to log into the site.

They are going to try again tomorrow, with about 45,000 appointments.  I imagine it will be the same mess.

I visited my primary care physician today.  I asked him if he had the vaccine.  He said no.  He said the government was only distributing it to entities capable of mass vaccinations.  Minimum of 100,000 capacity.  Not sure of the timeframe.  He said just about everybody he knows in private practice as tried but it so far is only being released to major hospitals, governmental entities like local fire departments, county public health running mega centers, major nationwide pharmacy chains, etc...  So that might provide a little insight from behind the scenes so to speak as to why no vaccine is showing up in anticipated places like your local doctor office, private clinics, etc...

@Rothko posted:

The Publix vaccine situation turned out to be a major clusterf*@k yesterday.  250,000 people vying for 25,000 appointments around the state.  All appointments gobbled up within an hour, with most people not able to log into the site.

They are going to try again tomorrow, with about 45,000 appointments.  I imagine it will be the same mess.

I was one of them.   Website sucked BIG time.

@The Old Man posted:

I just watched the President of The United States talk in full sentences that were grammatically correct and had great clarity. They even made sense! What a world this is that it's actually a major change from the last four years.

Just watched Dr. Fauci at the press briefing today.   The man is an American  treasure.  How he was able to get through the last administration without getting fired is a testament to his nationally recognized honesty and integrity.

I did not expect to be, and am not, in any rush to get the vaccine. I am 100% pro-vaccination and am in the new 65+ to the front of the line decision. However I am very effectively isolating and do not go into any buildings except a rare doctor visit. There are still so many healthcare professionals and front line workers who literally (how can one resist using that word sometimes?) put their lives on the line daily.

My other thing is let the early-injected be the guinea pigs. Now I don't mean that in terms of any danger or lack of efficacy of the approved vaccines, but there are differences between them. There will be good data being collected in the upcoming weeks. In addition, the one and done Johnson & Johnson vaccine looks very promising and desirable. Certainly better than having to make sure your second shot is available in the true recommended guidelines and not the new lacksadicial CDC decree of up to six weeks is okie dokie. I can easily wait until March.

Last edited by The Old Man

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.