Skip to main content

@napacat posted:

God you are a blithering moron.  Do you only watch MSNBC?  The CDC reported the other day that 70.6% of positive C-19 patients reported that they "always" wear a mask.  An additional 14.4% reported they often wear a mask (that's 85%...didn't want you to tax yourself doing math).

Only 3.9% of those infected said they never wear a face covering.  Follow the science tater.

Watch BBC. Read A German paper & a French paper.  Add NPR to the mix.  As for US  I catch NBC, CBS

@Rothko posted:

It will vanish one day.  One day, the Sun will burn all of its hydrogen, turn into a white dwarf, and the Earth will turn into a lifeless shell where not even viruses will survive.  So yes, one day, it will disappear.  You just have to hang in there for 7 billion more years.

Actually it will first turn into a red giant and the orbit of earth will be inside the sun's sphere. And don't feel so complacent. I believe the correct figure for this event (red giant phase) is closer to only 5 billion years.

Last edited by The Old Man
@The Old Man posted:

Actually it will first turn into a red giant and the orbit of earth will be inside the sun's sphere. And don't feel so complacent. I believe the correct figure for this event (red giant phase) is closer to only 5 billion years.

my understanding is that earth will lose it's magnetic field, thereby eliminated our atmosphere making us a barron rock at around 3 billion years.

Last edited by g-man
@flwino posted:

Watch BBC. Read A German paper & a French paper.  Add NPR to the mix.  As for US  I catch NBC, CBS

That's your problem.  I listen to NPR.  Watch MSNBC, CNN and the like...and can completely tell when I am being played by these idiots. Believe the Hunter Biden email story or not that just came out...but to not have one major network report on it and have it not even be addressed in the town hall with Stephanopolous is incredulous. 

@g-man posted:

I mean it's common sense

the Study explicitly pointed out what happens when individuals enter locations in close contact with those infected.

They list sites like being inside bars/restaurants in close proximity to infected people.  Unless you have special powers, i'd like to know how folks can eat with a mask on, so in those instances they clearly got it when they weren't wearing a mask.

Or is the ability to understand studies and deduct from their conclusions too difficult for some people?

Restaurants are not the same as bars and are not as high of a  risk.  What are you supposed to do..wear your mask inside your house all day?  Of course mask wearing will be while you are out.  The point you are missing is that only 3.9% of people caught C-19 that NEVER wear a mask.  The majority of spread is individual households (67%).  The majority of deaths are in nursing homes. 

As you just wrote...the study was when people entered locations in close contact with INFECTED people.  With only 2% of the population infected (Cumulative and not currently at 8 Million people, as at least 4M would have recovered by now) it is far less of an issue than being portrayed.

@napacat posted:

Restaurants are not the same as bars and are not as high of a  risk.  What are you supposed to do..wear your mask inside your house all day?  Of course mask wearing will be while you are out.  The point you are missing is that only 3.9% of people caught C-19 that NEVER wear a mask.  The majority of spread is individual households (67%).  The majority of deaths are in nursing homes.

As you just wrote...the study was when people entered locations in close contact with INFECTED people.  With only 2% of the population infected (Cumulative and not currently at 8 Million people, as at least 4M would have recovered by now) it is far less of an issue than being portrayed.

You say you watch other news sources but all your so-called facts seem to come from the ranters and ravers on Fox in the evenings.  Here are the actual facts re that CDC study you and Fox love to misrepresent:

A CDC study released in September, did not say that 85% of people who wear masks get infected with coronavirus. In fact, it did not even attempt to figure out what percentage of people who wear a mask get infected with the coronavirus.

Rather, the study looked at the behavior of 154 symptomatic people who had tested positive for the coronavirus in July around the country and 160 people who reported symptoms but tested negative in July.

The study found that, of those 154 people, 85% said they had worn a mask either “always” or “often” over the 14 days prior to the onset of their illness. That’s where the 85% figure comes from.

Of the 160 people in the study who had tested negative, however, 88.7% said they had worn a mask either “always” or “often.” So there’s really no difference between people who wore masks and those who didn’t.

And that’s not even the point here.

Trump was suggesting that the CDC found that 85% of all people who wear masks get coronavirus. But the CDC was just looking at the behavior of these 314 symptomatic people who sought out testing at 11 particular sites around the country in July.

Here’s how one of the co-authors, Christopher Lindsell, co-director of the Health Data Science Center at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, described the study’s data on masks:

“The data suggest that among a group of patients who are already showing symptoms that prompted them to get testing for the virus, there was no statistical evidence of a difference in mask wearing behavior between those who tested positive and those who tested negative,” Lindsell said in an email. “This is very different from the question of whether wearing masks prevents you becoming infected with the virus, and it is also different to the question of how many or what percentage of people who wear masks contract the virus. The study was not designed to answer these questions.”

@napacat posted:

Considering it's my profession to look at stats/numbers and understand white papers, your "interpretation" is neither qualified nor even remotely corrected based on the CDC study.

And btw, majority of deaths over the front part of the pandemic was nursing homes.  Hasn't been the case in a few months.  Catch up.  or are you still stuck back in Feb?

Last edited by g-man
@The Old Man posted:

This is not good. I'm sure you'll be okay but it's a reminder of how serious this is. Again I'm older than you and I will not go inside any buildings but for a doctor appointment, blood work or x-ray. The people you work for need to get in their heads not to dick with this virus.

The company has gotten quite a bit better about things in the last month and a half or so. The couple people I’ve seen not masking up, I actually spoke with and I’ve been vocal in meetings we’ve had about Covid. Everyone masks up before leaving their office/cubicle. Not perfect, but way better than some of the cavalier stuff early on.

Feeling fine now - my last exposure to the guy in question was Wednesday. There is a testing site two miles from where I live, so I’m there the second I notice anything. I haven’t been a flu shot guy for a while, but that changes now.

I attended (by zoom) a "fireside chat" with Dr. Fauci yesterday sponsored by the public health school at Johns Hopkins from where my wife got her doctorate.

He says we are likely in some deep trouble over the next few months as people tire of wearing masks, etc., and as we move inside in parts of the country that are colder.  He has a way of sounding both pessimistic and upbeat at the same time.

He said that most important of the various recommendations (masks, handwashing, social distancing, avoiding large crowds) is the final one.  Don't go to an indoor restaurant or bar, a gym, and travel with crowds only for emergency travel. Dr. Fauci seemed to think that facts and data were important.

Meanwhile, today 36 states are seeing profound increases in their positive tests.

Last edited by irwin
@The Old Man posted:

It's hard to believe the president of the United States is apparently trying to create super spreader events over many states.

Not hard to believe at all when the President is this guy. He will do whatever he can to win and doesn't care who gets hurt or dies in the process. Wonder if the votes he loses through sickness and death are less than those he gets, given that perhaps everyone who attends was already gonna vote for him?

@irwin posted:

I attended (by zoom) a "fireside chat" with Dr. Fauci yesterday sponsored by the public health school at Johns Hopkins from where my wife got her doctorate.

He says we are likely in some deep trouble over the next few months as people tire of wearing masks, etc., and as we move inside in parts of the country that are colder.  He has a way of sounding both pessimistic and upbeat at the same time.

He said that most important of the various recommendations (masks, handwashing, social distancing, avoiding large crowds) is the final one.  Don't go to an indoor restaurant or bar, a gym, and travel with crowds only for emergency travel. Dr. Fauci seemed to think that facts and data were important.

Meanwhile, today 36 states are seeing profound increases in their positive tests.

why do you need to listen to fauci when you have something called common sense?  something this country is sorely lacking

@jcocktosten posted:

Can confidently say that Mexico is handling this exponentially better than us.  When we got back to the Miami airport last night, I noted to Stef how sad it was that we seem to have become a third world nation - if that has become and offensive term - I apologize

Was utterly insane

What was insane?  The scene at the airport?  Lack of testing/quarantine?  Something else?

@csm posted:

What was insane?  The scene at the airport?  Lack of testing/quarantine?  Something else?

Mass overcrowding, no sanitizer, no temp. checking, no social distancing, no real enforcement of mask requirements, 8 flights leaving from same commuter gate at once (so people could not distance even if they wanted to) -

Int'l terminal for departure for trip was ok, domestic American terminal was horrid.

Every single store and restaurant in Mexico we went to  required masks, did temp. checks, mandatory sanitizer, shoe sanitizers,  many made you register name and phone number, we distanced etc.  - except for one place which we opted not to enter.

Naturally I cannot say the impact on spread that these measures have but at least the effort being made was almost uniform -

@jcocktosten posted:

I will add that by finding one of the few gates with no flights, we managed to find an area with fewer people and we avoided the boarding area for our flight entirely until shortly before takeoff when the majority of the overcrowding had ended as the other flights had left.

Wow that is crazy.  We are planning on traveling to DC before Christmas to see my in-laws, but this may make us re-think things. 

@csm posted:

Wow that is crazy.  We are planning on traveling to DC before Christmas to see my in-laws, but this may make us re-think things.

By reports, American is doing less than other airlines like Delta and Southwest - middle seats full etc.  Stef talked to some of the gate agents at the disaster gate and they were extremely unhappy. 

We flew AeroMexico (partner with Delta) to and from Miami to Mexico City and that flight, boarding etc., really was fine - and much better than the American part of the trip which was a whopping 30 minute flight from Miami to Key West

@The Old Man posted:

You can't make this stuff up, “He’ll [Biden] listen to the scientists." The horror.

Until the 2016 election, I would never have thought that in the country I was born in and have lived my whole life that: (1) the president of the U.S. would say such things; and (2) that it would actually resonate and be supported by a sizeable segment of the population.

What on earth has happened to us?

@jcocktosten posted:

Until the 2016 election, I would never have thought that in the country I was born in and have lived my whole life that: (1) the president of the U.S. would say such things; and (2) that it would actually resonate and be supported by a sizeable segment of the population.

What on earth has happened to us?

I think the elements that led to Trump's election have been percolating for a while. Ignorance of basic civics, growing disrespect for expertise, people who couldn't handle a black President and the takeover of the Republican Party by people guilty of all of the above. Add a two party system, which breeds polarization, primaries that feed that polarization by over-empowering the fringes on both sides and the electoral college and you get whackadoodles like Trump and his Trumpanzees.

@jcocktosten posted:

Mass overcrowding, no sanitizer, no temp. checking, no social distancing, no real enforcement of mask requirements, 8 flights leaving from same commuter gate at once (so people could not distance even if they wanted to) -

Int'l terminal for departure for trip was ok, domestic American terminal was horrid.

Every single store and restaurant in Mexico we went to  required masks, did temp. checks, mandatory sanitizer, shoe sanitizers,  many made you register name and phone number, we distanced etc.  - except for one place which we opted not to enter.

Naturally I cannot say the impact on spread that these measures have but at least the effort being made was almost uniform -

you'd only need to look at how japan/south korea/taiwan is doing to see that you can return to normalcy and still keep this under wraps if you had a federal plan and some proper leadership.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.