I just bought a remote digital thermometer for my cellar.
I'm a bit concerned that the temperature is about 60 at the top and 65 at the bottom;
the crappy thermometer supplied with the unit was reading about 5 degrees cooler than that.
The cooler is on its coldest setting. The unit is a 2 door Vinotemp E series and it's about 5 years old.

Is there any maintenance required for a unit like this? Does the compressor need to be recharged,
like a car's AC unit, or is it supposed to work for ever like a regular fridge?
Original Post
Hey Dave,
Do you want your fridge at 55F? If you consider what Serge was saying it sounds like there is something wrong with your refrigerator because the bottom should be cooler than the top. Do you store whites and reds in that fridge? If so it is a little warm for whites, I would think. If I was you I would ask Vinotemp. It sounds like it might just need service.

Hey Serge,
I was looking at your travel pictures of Maine on your website. I am going there in a few weeks and I was wondering where those pictures were taken.
quote:
Originally posted by spo1977:
Hey Dave,
Do you want your fridge at 55F? If you consider what Serge was saying it sounds like there is something wrong with your refrigerator because the bottom should be cooler than the top. Do you store whites and reds in that fridge? If so it is a little warm for whites, I would think. If I was you I would ask Vinotemp. It sounds like it might just need service.

Hey Serge,
I was looking at your travel pictures of Maine on your website. I am going there in a few weeks and I was wondering where those pictures were taken.


They were taken at Acacia National Park. We are going back there at the end of August. There are bugalos for rent
http://www.acadia.net/thecolony/ rustic, but...there is a kitchen and a lobster pot there, and having lobsters for breakfast, lunch and dinner once a year is my idea of fun. I hope you enjoy Maine, it's a nice place to relax and forget about it all.
quote:

They were taken at Acacia National Park. We are going back there at the end of August. There are bugalos for rent
http://www.acadia.net/thecolony/ rustic, but...there is a kitchen and a lobster pot there, and having lobsters for breakfast, lunch and dinner once a year is my idea of fun. I hope you enjoy Maine, it's a nice place to relax and forget about it all.


Do not forget the clams, mussels and scallops.

Also, is that near Bar Harbor?
Dave,

You are also assuming that the thermometer you purchased is accurate. You should review the specifications, it may say something like +/- 1 degree C or F. Here is a quick way to check the calibration:

"Calibration in Ice Water

Add crushed ice and distilled water to a clean container to form a watery slush.

Place thermometer probe into slush for at least one minute taking care to not let the probe contact the container.

If the thermometer does not read between 30° and 34° F adjust to 32° F."

http://foodsafety.unl.edu/html/thermometer.html
quote:
the temperature is always cooler on the bottom, including your fridge, that's the nature of thermodynamics.

Regardless of the laws of physics, the bottom of my cooler is 5 degrees warmer than the top.
Temperature variation at the top so far appears to be less than 2 degrees during the day.

I believe that the sensor is accurate. I'm reluctant to submerge it in water snce that would invalidate the warranty, though I may try that with the old thermometer.

I have both reds and whites in the fridge. The bottom 3 rows mainly contain dessert wines, then the whites are in the next few rows. The reds are mainly in the top half. The whites aren't intended for long term ageing, but some of the stickies are (such as 01 Sauternes).

I plan to call Vinotemp on Monday and talk to them about it.
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Tong:
Regardless of the laws of physics, the bottom of my cooler is 5 degrees warmer than the top.

I have a fairly new Vintage Keeper and the same thing happens except it is usually around 55 degrees at the top and 57 degrees at the bottom according to my remote digital sensor. I believe it has something to do with the fact that the cooling unit is at the top and the cold air originates exclusively from there. I've also noted the left side is 1 or 2 degrees cooler which also correlates since the cooler is on the top left.

As for your problem have you tried cleaning the intake coil on the back of the cooling unit? I try to vacuum the intake once a month or so because lots of dust can buildup and prevent proper airflow, thus hampering the cooling performance of the unit.
quote:
Originally posted by Sublime:
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Tong:
Regardless of the laws of physics, the bottom of my cooler is 5 degrees warmer than the top.

I have a fairly new Vintage Keeper and the same thing happens except it is usually around 55 degrees at the top and 57 degrees at the bottom according to my remote digital sensor. I believe it has something to do with the fact that the cooling unit is at the top and the cold air originates exclusively from there. I've also noted the left side is 1 or 2 degrees cooler which also correlates since the cooler is on the top left.

As for your problem have you tried cleaning the intake coil on the back of the cooling unit? I try to vacuum the intake once a month or so because lots of dust can buildup and prevent proper airflow, thus hampering the cooling performance of the unit.


That's probably a good idea. The rear of the unit is pretty inaccessible so I haven't checked the airflow.
Have a 220 bottle Vintage Keeper. Checked the manual that came with it. It mentions you can expect a slight temp difference between top and bottom. Also mentions it is important to vacuum clean the inteake at the back about monthly. Don't think you really have a problem, but you should vacuum clen the intakes!!
I also have a VK 220 and TWO thermometers in the unit: one near the top, and one on the last shelf of the unit. The top temp is a few degees warmer than the bottom. It has ALWAYS been this way.

Make sure your door(s) have a proper seal at the top and bottom. If there is no outside air coming in then cooler air always settles and warmer air always rises. When the compressor cuts off for 10 to 15 minutes during the cycling this will happen.
quote:
Originally posted by spo1977:
Hey Serge,
I was looking at your travel pictures of Maine on your website. I am going there in a few weeks and I was wondering where those pictures were taken.


If you have the chance while you are passing through, go to Mable's in Kennebunkport. It's where George and Babs (Bush) eat when they're in town. You simply cannot beat their fisherman's platter: 1-2lb lobster, 2lbs steamers, fried oysters, fried scallops and shrimp for $30 and their clam chowder is to die for. Not a bad winelist either.

Or, if you want french food, go to 98 Provence. Their address is: 104 Shore Road, Ogunquit, ME and the phone # is: (207) 646-9898. The food is second to none and the winelist is great.


No matter where you go, be sure to get seafood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if you are allergic to it. Fresh seafood is worth risking death for.
I have a Vintage Keeper 220 and it's always a little colder at the top than the bottom. I reduced the difference a little by leaving the right front bottle position empty down every rack, thereby allowing the cold air to flow down to the bottom. When the unit finally filled up, there was no way for the air to get down there and the variation settled in about 57 deg top and 60 deg bottom.
quote:
Originally posted by grapefreak:
quote:
Originally posted by spo1977:
Hey Serge,
I was looking at your travel pictures of Maine on your website. I am going there in a few weeks and I was wondering where those pictures were taken.


If you have the chance while you are passing through, go to Mable's in Kennebunkport. It's where George and Babs (Bush) eat when they're in town. You simply cannot beat their fisherman's platter: 1-2lb lobster, 2lbs steamers, fried oysters, fried scallops and shrimp for $30 and their clam chowder is to die for. Not a bad winelist either.

Or, if you want french food, go to 98 Provence. Their address is: 104 Shore Road, Ogunquit, ME and the phone # is: (207) 646-9898. The food is second to none and the winelist is great.


No matter where you go, be sure to get seafood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even if you are allergic to it. Fresh seafood is worth risking death for.


I will be in the Portland, Brunswick and lesser known Liberty area. Thanks for the reccomendations. I will see if I can find an interested relative.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×