You should just buy the 2005 Columbia Crest Walter Clore instead. You can find it for around $25-35.

It is no WOTY, but basically it should be the same if not better. Both are under the same product line, same oak treatment except blended with approx 1/3 Merlot. At least you won't get ripped off for $99ea. at winecommune. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Gundam:
You should just buy the 2005 Columbia Crest Walter Clore instead. You can find it for around $25-35.

It is no WOTY, but basically it should be the same if not better. Both are under the same product line, same oak treatment except blended with approx 1/3 Merlot. At least you won't get ripped off for $99ea. at winecommune. Wink


I found the Walter Clore to be a significantly better wine than the CCR. Plus, $19.99 at our local Costco makes it a no-brainer for me.
That's a good deal, duckfaninmt. With the Merlot and trace amount of Cab Franc, I imagine it is more balanced. It always have a slightly higher score on CT, but I kept buying the cab on sale for <$20. So buying the 2005 for $25.99 was considered pricy by my standards.

Just saw it for $45 @ 2020 this morning. I Wonder if the price has peaked yet. Popcorn
quote:
Originally posted by Gundam:
That's a good deal, duckfaninmt. With the Merlot and trace amount of Cab Franc, I imagine it is more balanced. It always have a slightly higher score on CT, but I kept buying the cab on sale for <$20. So buying the 2005 for $25.99 was considered pricy by my standards.

Just saw it for $45 @ 2020 this morning. I Wonder if the price has peaked yet. Popcorn


Yeah, the '05 Walter Clore is about the best wine our local (Northwest Montana) has to offer... I'm just amazed at how much Yellow Tail they keep in stock, which says a lot about the wine-buying clientele at this particular Costco Big Grin . Anyway, at $19.99 a pop the '05 Walter Clore is really a nice deal.

I found the 2006 Waterbrook Reserve Cabernet (around $20 - $23) to be an excellent wine (their '06 Reserve Merlot is pretty good as well), and they're my two best QPR wines at this time. Highly recommend the Reserve Cab for sure.
I have noticed that if the wine of the year is an american wine it guys up in price much higher then international wines. The columbia crest is up 300% already..last year the Clos Apalto went from 65 to 100 and not much higher. Just shows you that most people here in the US are drinking US made wines.
quote:
Originally posted by TERPS:
Yeah right try and it get it for 22.99.


Confused

I sent their email to 3 folks here in my office, and 2 of them split a case yesterday. As I said, it is $4 less than last month from Buckley.

It is also still in the Dallas market for under $27.
JJ Buckley just have the 05 Walter Clore on sale for $22.99. Damn you JJ buckley, right after I used up my 2009 wine Budget yesterday.

This is an interesting wine, even Jay Miller only gave it 90 pts, while Harvey Steinman gave it a 92. Also its interesting to see compared to its WOTY sibling. I am tempted just to buy 1 to try, but not ready to pay $10 shipping on a single bottle.
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfast:
Seriously. Wow. Look at winecommune, it's amazing. It's so depressing to think someone is willing to pay $125 (literally) for a bottle of Columbia Crest. It really makes me appreciate my wine friends that much more.

The only thing depressing about it is that I didn't buy more than 6 when it was first rated and had the chance. Now I have 5 bottles of a wine that didn't impress me much at all and I'm just hoping they'll improve in a few years or else there's going to be 4 more bottles for sale on wine commune.
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:Now I have 5 bottles of a wine that didn't impress me much at all and I'm just hoping they'll improve in a few years or else there's going to be 4 more bottles for sale on wine commune.


Sell 'em now, if you're gonna sell them, the fools buyers are there. Take the proceeds, buy a case 2006 Novelty Hill (oops, not Bay---thx for catching this mneely Smile) Cabernet, Columbia Valley, and bank the $400 you'll have left over. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:Now I have 5 bottles of a wine that didn't impress me much at all and I'm just hoping they'll improve in a few years or else there's going to be 4 more bottles for sale on wine commune.


Sell 'em now, if you're gonna sell them, the fools buyers are there. Take the proceeds, buy a case 2006 Novelty Bay Hill Cabernet, Columbia Valley, and bank the $400 you'll have left over. Wink

Agree.
I agree but its because when this wine first came out and got the 95 Point score every one ran and bought it out in Feb. I remember calling many wine shops for it and them saying sold out or everyone is calling for that one. I was able to finally get a case but that was after a lot of calls. When this wine was named wine of the year NO ONE HAD IT. It made it more rare and the price went crazy..supply and demand. In the past once wine of the year was announced it could have been currently bought for a few hours after it was announced at retail wine shops but not this year.
I tried it at the Wine Spectator event in Chicago. I liked it and purchased eight six packs when I returned to San Diego. I consumed six bottles and gave a bottle to a friend when she bemoaned the quality of Washington wines. She's fan now.

Of the wine, not me. She doesn't like me even when I give her bottle of WOTY.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×