Skip to main content

Shockingly there is no thread for this.  At least not that I could find.   Looks like we are finally moving to 4 super conferences, with the big news today that Texas and Oklahoma announcing they are moving to the SEC.  Have to think this effectively kills the Big 12 and that the Big Ten, ACC and Pac 12 have to be scrambling  to add teams.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@pinotlvr posted:

Damn Yankees don't know how important college football is!  I'd give up the Lightnings's back to back Stanley Cups, just to have another Gator National Championship

Those of us in the Midwest agree.  Can't wait for the upcoming Buckeye season, and interesting to see how the Ewers saga plays out (will he skip his senior season and join TOSU early).

I have checked in for the first time on some months. If there is some interest, I will post my weekly thoughts this year.

As for OU and Texas joining the SEC, I do not know what to think of CFB, or college sports in general, any more. It will add some more interesting games for sure. I am not sure of the division alignment  whether is stays at 2 divisions or goes to 4 team pods. Concerning the remaining conferences, it will be a high stakes game of musical chairs.

RIP Bobby Bowden.  He made FSU football fun to watch and took a program that nearly dropped football to national prominence.  Saw a nice story from Nick Saban who said that Bobby called him after his father died (whom Bobby knew, but not Nick) and offered him a spot on the WVU coaching staff (where he was head coach at the time) if he needed to be close to home for his mother.  That made a big impression on Saban.   Surprisingly, Bowden won the only meeting between them as head coaches in 2007 (Saban's first year at Bama) 24-17 with Bama ranked #22 at the time, and FSU finishing the season at 7-5.

Last edited by vinole
@scbeerman posted:

I have checked in for the first time on some months. If there is some interest, I will post my weekly thoughts this year.

As for OU and Texas joining the SEC, I do not know what to think of CFB, or college sports in general, any more. It will add some more interesting games for sure. I am not sure of the division alignment  whether is stays at 2 divisions or goes to 4 team pods. Concerning the remaining conferences, it will be a high stakes game of musical chairs.

I always enjoy the weekly summaries.  Too bad the Forum has kind of died off, there used to be some good debate/discussion. 

Ok, I feel the love and will resume next weekend.

Quick first impressions - different guys, same result, Bama just marches on. Saban=Tiger Woods winning at an insane rate and we will never see another like him. Maybe Georgia or A &M can challenge but I doubt it. Gators are who I thought they would be, good but not close to great. They have a freak athlete in Anthony Richardson but not sure if he is ready to be a high level QB.

The ACC had a dismal weekend. It's not that Clemson lost to Georgia but their weak OL was exposed. You expected a dropoff at QB after the best two QBs in their history. Miami was not close to being competitive against a good team. Louisville gets blown out to Ole Miss. The NC hype machine took a pause losing to Va Tech. Mack Brown has a top 10 roster and should win at least 10 games. FSU is better. With that context, Clemson can run the table and not make the playoff if Ohio St, OU (who looked bad) and a Pac 10 team have good years.

For now, I have Bama, Georgia, Ohio St penciled in.

Weekend Summary

Ok, I overreacted a bit in Week One as Ohio St may not be a sure thing to make the playoff. Congrats to Oregon for coming into the Horseshoe and beating the Bucks. The Big 10 may be wide open although I am not convinced Iowa is better than OSU. The Pac 12 will indeed have a say in the playoff picture this season.

Based on some results, not calling them upsets, we have a longer term trend in CFB. The economics have changed and many previous powers are now experiencing lows from where they will be difficult to recover. When looking at wins in the 90s, the four top teams were FSU, Nebraska, Florida and Tennessee. Although us Gator fans are not happy with our program, the other three programs are in death spirals. Nebraska and Tennessee were programs that were always on TV in the 70s and 80s before it became widespread, and they got players for that reason. Neither have a wealth of high school talent in their respective state, so their allure has diminished. Tenn has a bit of hope since they are in the SEC but it is slim. FSU is puzzling in that they have a brand name and access to talent rich Florida (and Georgia) athletes. However, their administration chose to not pay Jimbo Fisher and they have settled for two mediocre coaches. Their athletic budget is shot as they are still paying Willie Taggart (i miss that guy). Only a booster with Texas size money, a large ego and no sense can bail them out. Miami is also puzzling given pass success and access to talent within an hour of their campus, but they have never had broad fan support.  And Texas, with every resource know to man, just found out how life in the SEC will be this past weekend. Woo Pig Soooie.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.