Skip to main content

It may be a bit early, but we can get some discussion going.

Will we get a season? If so, what will it look like? Will it be played in front of fans? Like everything else in these crazy times, no one really knows with certainty.

The only thing I know is that the enormous money that it raises subsidizes the non-revenue sports and the overall universities, so every effort will be made to play football.  The SEC will play ball regardless of the other schools.

Original Post

They'll play I'm sure. Can't see there being full stadia though, which will be weird.  There is too much TV money not to play.  Interesting thing will be what the schools do with ticket revenue and seat licences (I mean contributions to the athletic fund required to purchase season tickets).  I've heard that some are simply not refunding and treating both the ticket price and contribution as a gift to the school in the event there are no fans allowed at games.  Cue the class action. 

I agree there will probably be games, but the questions are plenty.  When will they start?  How will they try to ensure equality between schools or will they even care?  What if one school has a player test positive - will they play, not play, forfeit?  How will fans be handled?  If they allow a percentage of capacity will they screen at the gates?  How will they choose who can attend?  Too many more to list but it will certainly be interesting. 

As a 20+ year season ticket holder, life-long fan and alum I'd love to go watch my Horns but to be honest, even if they do play I'm not sure how comfortable I am without some pretty sizable crowd limitations and then, what happens to the other half of the fun - tailgating, camaraderie, etc. 

First world problems to be sure so not too concerned at this point, but it does cross my mind.

Here is a big question which could affect the future of the sport. The NCAA has hidden behind the "student/athlete" mantra forever. The pro leagues and tours such as the PGA and NASCAR will operate in a bubble, fans or not. College purport to the notion that the athletes, particularly football and basketball, are just normal students. If so, can they be separated from the campus at large? If so, then are they then classified as the pro athletes that they real are, whether they are being paid under the table? We will see. 

The PAC-12 also cancelled all non-conference games while the SEC and ACC are expected to make a decision by the end of July.  Supposedly if the ACC goes to conference only they would somehow include Notre Dame (not sure how that all works out).  Lesser conferences are really hurting bad now, with the MAC losing lots of games against big-time opponents that pay the bills (i.e. tOSU vs Bowling Green).  Also SWAC has cancelled the football season.

Weekend Summary

We did have some games this weekend in what would have normally been the first weekend of a full slate. Teams with dominating wins include Marshall, Army and North Texas. Other winners include UAB, S Alabama, SMU, Memphis and UTEP. Two games were postponed.

The key thing to watch is the number of positive cases from any of the teams that played. The most that I heard about recently was in Knoxville where they reported 7-8 positive cases and practiced with 30 plus less players. Obviously, it felt terribly odd on a day where the NBA and NHL continued their playoffs as well as the Kentucky Derby was run (impressive victory for Authentic over Tiz The Law). The ACC is scheduled to play next weekend while the SEC waits until September 26. Who knows what the Big 10 (a PR nightmare and I am being kind) and the Pac 12 will do. All a sign of the times in this crazy year.

Weekend Summary

Doing this out of habit even in this surreal year. Early tee time (do not agree to that often) so hence the early post.

Even in a limited schedule it felt good to have a slate of games from familiar teams. The ACC is front and center this week, but nothing happened that was out of the ordinary. Clemson is still Clemson, an embarrassment of riches, but Wake played them reasonably well. Mack Brown's young and talented Tar Heels got 21 in the 4th to dispatch Syracuse. Miami beat UAB, and no one knew they were social distancing because that looked like a normal crowd. FSU has a new coach, but they looked the same despite blocking three FGs (one an extra point). The mistake prone Noles lost their 4th straight opener to a 3-9 Ga Tech at home 16-13. And yes, Notre Dame played the 1st conference game in their history downing Duke 27-13. It was an average performance by the Irish but historic nonetheless.

You have conference rivalries as to who is the best like SEC/ACC or Big 10/Pac 12, but Big 12 vs the Sun Belt. The Sun Belt was 3-0 against the Big 12 all by visiting teams. Louisiana, formerly USL, went into Ames and made Iowa St pretty much concede in the final minutes crunching them 31-14. Coach Billy Napier has Saban and Dabo pedigree (I saw his team live last year and they are well coached), and will be the hottest coach available. Arkansas St edged Kansas St in the Little Apple. And finally, my hometown Chants, Coastal Carolina dominated Kansas 38-23. Les Miles may head back into retirement as CCU has now beaten the Jayhawks twice. While Oklahoma, Texas and West Virginia won easily, the Big 12 is not a good conference.

Of course, the future of the season is week to week, and I am praying that the SEC can open on Sept 26. And yes, we will see what the Big 10 does now.

Ok, it works on my desktop at the office so we may have to do Monday morning posts.

Nothing of note as the big thing is that the games continue. The SEC begins its ten game conference only slate which is what most of you would like to see. The thinking is that if there are other losses then the other conferences make the playoffs. As playoff history has shown, the SEC should get two teams in every year as only Clemson and Ohio State (think I'm correct here) have won playoff games outside of the SEC. Rankings are totally meaningless at this point.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.