It may be a bit early, but we can get some discussion going.

Will we get a season? If so, what will it look like? Will it be played in front of fans? Like everything else in these crazy times, no one really knows with certainty.

The only thing I know is that the enormous money that it raises subsidizes the non-revenue sports and the overall universities, so every effort will be made to play football.  The SEC will play ball regardless of the other schools.

Original Post

They'll play I'm sure. Can't see there being full stadia though, which will be weird.  There is too much TV money not to play.  Interesting thing will be what the schools do with ticket revenue and seat licences (I mean contributions to the athletic fund required to purchase season tickets).  I've heard that some are simply not refunding and treating both the ticket price and contribution as a gift to the school in the event there are no fans allowed at games.  Cue the class action. 

I agree there will probably be games, but the questions are plenty.  When will they start?  How will they try to ensure equality between schools or will they even care?  What if one school has a player test positive - will they play, not play, forfeit?  How will fans be handled?  If they allow a percentage of capacity will they screen at the gates?  How will they choose who can attend?  Too many more to list but it will certainly be interesting. 

As a 20+ year season ticket holder, life-long fan and alum I'd love to go watch my Horns but to be honest, even if they do play I'm not sure how comfortable I am without some pretty sizable crowd limitations and then, what happens to the other half of the fun - tailgating, camaraderie, etc. 

First world problems to be sure so not too concerned at this point, but it does cross my mind.

@csm posted:

So Mike Norvell....ouch. 

An American in a position of authority expecting to slide on outright lies? The horror! 

I have limited myself to one game per year the past few years anyway, so not going to a game in person is no big deal to me.

Here is a big question which could affect the future of the sport. The NCAA has hidden behind the "student/athlete" mantra forever. The pro leagues and tours such as the PGA and NASCAR will operate in a bubble, fans or not. College purport to the notion that the athletes, particularly football and basketball, are just normal students. If so, can they be separated from the campus at large? If so, then are they then classified as the pro athletes that they real are, whether they are being paid under the table? We will see. 

Ohio St vs Alabama Home Home series announced for 2027/2028.  

It’s a shame it’ll most likely be at the start of the season, would love to the the SEC come North in November. 

Also, Dabo ought to thank Gundy for taking the spotlight off of him.

@patespo1 posted:

Ohio St vs Alabama Home Home series announced for 2027/2028.  

It’s a shame it’ll most likely be at the start of the season, would love to the the SEC come North in November. 

Also, Dabo ought to thank Gundy for taking the spotlight off of him.

Nick Saban will be 76 when the first of these two games is played.  Will he still be coaching the Tide then?

Big Ten to announce fall sports, including football, will be conference only games.  Would imagine that happens with all conferences, although I'm starting to think more and more there will be no football in the Fall. 

Sucks about the B1G, though I was supposed to be going to Wisconsin Notre Dame at Lambeau this fall.  Hope they reschedule.

I suspect the rest of the leagues will end up following suit.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.