Weekend Summary

Rivalry week usually means the Iron Bowl is the most compelling game which is exactly what happened. In fact, it is game of the year IMHO, with more cliff hangers than an Indiana Jones movie. I could write a book on this game, but will make it concise. The game was tied 10-10 with 5:45 left in the 1st half, and the halftime score was Bama 31-27.  This time period included a pick six, a KO return TD, a fumble, a long TD drive with incredible catches, a long TD catch and run, and a disputed down call at 1 second left which resulted in a Nick Saban meltdown (best part of the day). The defining play occurred in the 3rd Q when Bama had a 1st and goal on the Auburn 1 leading 31-30 (after endless PI calls). QB Mac Jones, who played a good game, attempted a swing pass in the flat to Najee Harris, but the ball bounced off his back into the Auburn LB hands who then returned it 100 yds for a pick six (same sideline as the kick six of 2103).  Bama rallied to lead but Auburn responded for a 48-45 lead. Then the Bama nemesis struck again, Bama has had more missed FGs under Saban than anyone, as the attempted tying kick hit the left upright. The final play was the insult to injury. Auburn had a 4th and 4 on its own 28 with a minute to go, having to punt. Gus Malzahn placed his punter as a WR in formation leaving his offense on the field. Bama was confused, sent 12 men on the field, got penalized giving Auburn the 1st down they needed to expire the clock. Saban was whining about that in the post game.

I about predicted Michigan may upset Ohio St given their recent play, but history prevented me from doing so. The Buckeyes again hung 50 on Harbaugh behind JK "all day" Dobbins and Justin Fields. The easiest fundraising ask in C-bus is to give to Jim Harbaugh's salary fund. Wisconsin did the playoff committee a big favor by smoking Minnesota. Could you have imagined the uproar if Georgia and Minnesota would have won their conference title games meaning that either OSU or LSU would have been excluded.

LSU had a score to settle with Texas A&M after that 7 OT loss of last season. Told that their defense is their weakness, they were on a mission as they wiped out A&M 51-7. Coach O left in the starters to emphasize playing a 60 minute game. Both OSU and LSU know the importance of the #1 seed.

That is because Clemson causally beat the Gamecocks again 38-3. Trevor Lawrence is getting it together, and while Joe Burrow is the deserving Heisman winner, Lawrence is the QB NFL GMs covet. The grade on Clemson is incomplete, and while that may sound a bit crazy, they have not played a top caliber opponent. Past history says they are as good as anyone, and they are on a huge winning streak.

Georgia beat Georgia Tech 52-7, the most points hung on the Jackets in the series history. This game could be costly as star RB D'Andre Swift hurt his shoulder and WR Pickens will miss the 1st half of next week's game in Atlanta for fighting. I say Georgia loses which opens the door for either Utah or the OU/Baylor winner.

Finally, Florida started slowly but ended the year nicely at 10-2. Their only two losses were close ones to LSU and Georgia. This despite playing with a bad run blocking OL and a career backup QB (who in fairness was more effective than the starter).  If LSU beats Georgia, you can make a case for the Gators as the 2nd best SEC team in a year where the SEC has five of the ten best teams. Reasonable Gator fans have to be happy with this regular season.

greendrazi posted:

DOINK!  

And nothing more ironic than Saban complaining about getting a second added back on the clock to kick a field goal. Compounding the irony, by complaining that he should have been given more time to get his 12th man off the field.

Simply a brilliant game to watch. There was 869 yards of offense, 51 first downs and Auburn hung 48 on Saban breaking OU’s mark of 45 on Saban. 

Alabama now has missed 101 FG attempts in Saban’s time at Alabama. 😳

scbeerman posted:

Weekend Summary

Rivalry week usually means the Iron Bowl is the most compelling game which is exactly what happened. In fact, it is game of the year IMHO, with more cliff hangers than an Indiana Jones movie. I could write a book on this game, but will make it concise. The game was tied 10-10 with 5:45 left in the 1st half, and the halftime score was Bama 31-27.  This time period included a pick six, a KO return TD, a fumble, a long TD drive with incredible catches, a long TD catch and run, and a disputed down call at 1 second left which resulted in a Nick Saban meltdown (best part of the day). The defining play occurred in the 3rd Q when Bama had a 1st and goal on the Auburn 1 leading 31-30 (after endless PI calls). QB Mac Jones, who played a good game, attempted a swing pass in the flat to Najee Harris, but the ball bounced off his back into the Auburn LB hands who then returned it 100 yds for a pick six (same sideline as the kick six of 2103).  Bama rallied to lead but Auburn responded for a 48-45 lead. Then the Bama nemesis struck again, Bama has had more missed FGs under Saban than anyone, as the attempted tying kick hit the left upright. The final play was the insult to injury. Auburn had a 4th and 4 on its own 28 with a minute to go, having to punt. Gus Malzahn placed his punter as a WR in formation leaving his offense on the field. Bama was confused, sent 12 men on the field, got penalized giving Auburn the 1st down they needed to expire the clock. Saban was whining about that in the post game.

I about predicted Michigan may upset Ohio St given their recent play, but history prevented me from doing so. The Buckeyes again hung 50 on Harbaugh behind JK "all day" Dobbins and Justin Fields. The easiest fundraising ask in C-bus is to give to Jim Harbaugh's salary fund. Wisconsin did the playoff committee a big favor by smoking Minnesota. Could you have imagined the uproar if Georgia and Minnesota would have won their conference title games meaning that either OSU or LSU would have been excluded.

LSU had a score to settle with Texas A&M after that 7 OT loss of last season. Told that their defense is their weakness, they were on a mission as they wiped out A&M 51-7. Coach O left in the starters to emphasize playing a 60 minute game. Both OSU and LSU know the importance of the #1 seed.

That is because Clemson causally beat the Gamecocks again 38-3. Trevor Lawrence is getting it together, and while Joe Burrow is the deserving Heisman winner, Lawrence is the QB NFL GMs covet. The grade on Clemson is incomplete, and while that may sound a bit crazy, they have not played a top caliber opponent. Past history says they are as good as anyone, and they are on a huge winning streak.

Georgia beat Georgia Tech 52-7, the most points hung on the Jackets in the series history. This game could be costly as star RB D'Andre Swift hurt his shoulder and WR Pickens will miss the 1st half of next week's game in Atlanta for fighting. I say Georgia loses which opens the door for either Utah or the OU/Baylor winner.

Finally, Florida started slowly but ended the year nicely at 10-2. Their only two losses were close ones to LSU and Georgia. This despite playing with a bad run blocking OL and a career backup QB (who in fairness was more effective than the starter).  If LSU beats Georgia, you can make a case for the Gators as the 2nd best SEC team in a year where the SEC has five of the ten best teams. Reasonable Gator fans have to be happy with this regular season.

scberman,
Thanks for another great write up and another (regular) season of them. And who did the Gators beat in Gainesville yesterday?  

Took my sons to their first Buckeye-Xichigan game, and boy was it worth it sitting in the cold.  My 9 year old (celebrating his birthday) predicted a '50-burger' for the Buckeyes, and they didn't disappoint.  The best part was the Big House clearing out midway through the 4th quarter of all of the Xichigan 'fans', followed by chants of O-H-I-O and the OSU fight song ringing through the stadium.  

Keep Harbaugh forever indeed! 

patespo1 posted:

Took my sons to their first Buckeye-Xichigan game, and boy was it worth it sitting in the cold.  My 9 year old (celebrating his birthday) predicted a '50-burger' for the Buckeyes, and they didn't disappoint.  The best part was the Big House clearing out midway through the 4th quarter of all of the Xichigan 'fans', followed by chants of O-H-I-O and the OSU fight song ringing through the stadium.  

Obviously a wonderful experience with your sons!

Name another Michigan coach that has ever been 0-5 against tOS. 

wineart 2 posted:
patespo1 posted:

Obviously a wonderful experience with your sons!

Name another Michigan coach that has ever been 0-5 against tOS. 

Truly was, thank god I got them into the Buckeyes as they(we) also are Browns fans 

wineart 2 posted:
pinotlvr posted:

If LSU beats GA, they will be the only team in the top 4 to have played on out of conference power 5 team that wasn't an annual in-state rivalry.

If LSU beats Georgia, what teams are in the top 4?

I guess I should have put that I'd assume Utah would take the #4 spot if they win the Pac12.  OU already beat Baylor and is behind Utah, so if Utah beats Oregon, does beating Baylor again provide enough to jump Utah?  Baylor could be the weakest 10-1 team in recent memory, scraping by in far too many games this year.  In a beauty contest, what matters more?  OU's K-state loss vs. Utah's USC loss or OU beating Baylor twice.

Obviously still a lot of what if's...and if OU does make the top 4, they do have UCLA as a non conference opponent.   Power 5 match-ups don't always live up to being competitive (Florida had 2 this year and both were 6-6) and most thought Chip Kelly would do better when UCLA than he's done, but at least OU put them on the schedule

Want to have some real fun, here goes:

BCS Era - choose two between Ohio St, LSU and Clemson

Pre BCS Era for us older folks -

Conference tie in to bowls would have Ohio St to Rose to face either Oregon or Utah, Orange would likely pit Clemson against OU/Baylor winner, and Sugar would have LSU against who knows since other best teams are in SEC. Then the voters would choose based on results of games. Likely that all three unbeaten would win in routs trying to impress voters and probably result in a split poll.

Point is things have improved and we will get great playoff matchups and a worthy champ.

scbeerman posted:

Conference tie in to bowls would have Ohio St to Rose to face either Oregon or Utah, Orange would likely pit Clemson against OU/Baylor winner, and Sugar would have LSU against who knows since other best teams are in SEC. Then the voters would choose based on results of games. Likely that all three unbeaten would win in routs trying to impress voters and probably result in a split poll.

Point is things have improved and we will get great playoff matchups and a worthy champ.

Still a fan of 8 team playoff, win a big 5 conference, go to the playoffs.  3 at large picks.

scbeerman posted:

That would be interesting for sure...the pre BCS era would definitely be a Cluster

For the BCS era, I'd go with LSU vs. Clemson to finally penalize OSU for not having at least one Power 5 out of conference game.  

greendrazi posted:

Norvell

Good call and certainly more in line of the type of coach Florida State could realistically expect, IMO.

Dreaming of Stoops, Franklin or Kelly et al just never made sense to me. Stoops walked away with back to back Big 12 titles and a ton of talent returning ( back to back again since) Franklin has a top 10 program at Penn St and Kelly has a top 15 program at Norte Dame. That said, there is talk Kelly might like to try the NFL. 

With Oregon brushing Utah (and the Pac 12) aside, I know a certain poster will be saying "Geaux Ti-gahs" today. I myself, and this is a dream, hope for an ugly 17-16 Baylor win and LSU beating Georgia (always want this) by 28 points. Note that I did not mention Clemson in any scenario. Crazier things have happened.

scbeerman posted:

With Oregon brushing Utah (and the Pac 12) aside, I know a certain poster will be saying "Geaux Ti-gahs" today. I myself, and this is a dream, hope for an ugly 17-16 Baylor win and LSU beating Georgia (always want this) by 28 points. Note that I did not mention Clemson in any scenario. Crazier things have happened.

I could see Baylor winning the game. The Big 12 is broken. ( thanks to Texas running off teams)  Playing a team twice in 3 weeks makes no sense. One year it could be back to back weeks. Grrr. Beating a quality team twice in three weeks is never easy, plus say the teams split and the second games counts more? Just a dumbass systems IMO. 

I thought the winner of #6 v #7 should jump the weak ass Utah schedule anyway. This said, there IMO is a serious drop off after Ohio St & LSU, but Clemson has been there before and knows how to win. 

I have a close friend that is all Georgia. I had dinner with him Wednesday and asked if Georgia could upset LSU. He ( Larry) said “ not unless they find an offensive before Saturday.” 🙃

wineart 2 posted:
greendrazi posted:

Norvell

Good call and certainly more in line of the type of coach Florida State could realistically expect, IMO.

Dreaming of Stoops, Franklin or Kelly et al just never made sense to me. Stoops walked away with back to back Big 12 titles and a ton of talent returning ( back to back again since) Franklin has a top 10 program at Penn St and Kelly has a top 15 program at Norte Dame. That said, there is talk Kelly might like to try the NFL. 

Go Sooners! Watch out for the revenge game. Otherwise, they should round out the CFP nicely.

wineart 2 posted:
greendrazi posted:

Norvell

Stoops never made sense to me and I said so but you had to try. The other two both had reasons to maybe leave. Kelly may have wanted to give it a go at a school with no academic restrictions in recruiting. Franklin may have wanted to jump to a better a job. You say it's not but since PSU and FSU joined their current conferences in the mid 90s FSU has 13 conference titles, 1 natty and 1 playoff appearance. PSU has 5 conference titles. Plus, Franklin currently works for the notoriously cheap Eric Barron (PSU pres). How do I know hes cheap? He was FSU's pres for the first part of Jimbo. It was a constant battle to get money and facilities. We all loved it when he left. We met with Franklin and he asked for about $8M per year. He did the same to USC which is a better job than PSU or FSU. PA boy who is happy at home and who will be announcing a new extension with more money very soon I'm sure. 

I feel bad for Norvell. Boosters didn't want him. The boosters were closing their check books and that's why Willie was fired. No one I have talked to is writing any big checks now either. Without booster support you have less money for staff and no bags get dropped on the recruiting trail. Quite frankly, Norvell is a dead man walking.

There is no need for a full summary. I came pretty close to my dream, but there was no chance the Gators would jump to the four spot. The Big 12 game was close, but too well played for both teams to drop. Plus, OU is a brand name and deserves the spot.

I came within a point of predicting the SEC game (just for giggles I got the trivia question without googling - 4 SEC champ Heisman winners who won it all). LSU just has it going on with Burrow and Georgia cannot score enough in a shootout. With Ohio St playing a blah first half, it may elevate LSU to the top seed. That makes a difference because I have this nagging feeling that Clemson still may be the best team.

I have not seen any odds but OU should be at least a ten point underdog to whoever gets #1. #2 vs #3 should be a 3 point spread either way.

scbeerman posted:

There is no need for a full summary. I came pretty close to my dream, but there was no chance the Gators would jump to the four spot. The Big 12 game was close, but too well played for both teams to drop. Plus, OU is a brand name and deserves the spot.

I came within a point of predicting the SEC game (just for giggles I got the trivia question without googling - 4 SEC champ Heisman winners who won it all). LSU just has it going on with Burrow and Georgia cannot score enough in a shootout. With Ohio St playing a blah first half, it may elevate LSU to the top seed. That makes a difference because I have this nagging feeling that Clemson still may be the best team.

I have not seen any odds but OU should be at least a ten point underdog to whoever gets #1. #2 vs #3 should be a 3 point spread either way.

scbeer, this years Final 4 will have a combined record of 51-1. That is amazing. 

I think we have 3 great teams this year and one good team. I would think #1 would be a two TD favorite over #4 this year, and will cover with ease.  

The final game should be epic this year, again. 

It has been an incredible year for the top 4. The pundits always say it works itself out but we needed four teams for an equitable finish this year.

Usually when they say a team does not have a chance, I go the other way. This happens more in baseball, where pitching, a hot hitter or just the unpredictability of that game, can result in the underdog team winning. It also happens in the NCAA hoops tourney especially in this era of three point shooting. Football is the one sport with the most predictable outcome, but I still would not discount Jalen Hurts and Lincoln Riley. 

flwino posted:

Taggert to FAU   What a laugh.  Maybe will achieve his level of competence by downgrading to a lower class college program.

At least FAU had a real coach before

Taggert did just fine at USF.  Probably should have stayed there.  He'll do just fine at FAU too, where there are less expectations, 

Add Reply

Likes (0)