thistlintom posted:

Even if you think OSU is the best team, you have to vote for LSU as #1 since they beat #3.

I'm a Buckeye fan, and yes I 100% agree with this statement.  LSU and OSU clearly are a cut above the rest, but LSU has a better resume. 

For all the haters, take a lesson from Maryland.  Apparently they were the ones to go to the NCAA about the Chase Young situation (he's from DC and was heavily recruited by Maryland).   OSU responds by hanging 73 on them.  Hope it was worth the bitterness.  

patespo1 posted:
thistlintom posted:

Even if you think OSU is the best team, you have to vote for LSU as #1 since they beat #3.

I'm a Buckeye fan, and yes I 100% agree with this statement.  LSU and OSU clearly are a cut above the rest, but LSU has a better resume. 

For all the haters, take a lesson from Maryland.  Apparently they were the ones to go to the NCAA about the Chase Young situation (he's from DC and was heavily recruited by Maryland).   OSU responds by hanging 73 on them.  Hope it was worth the bitterness.  

So like 45, you believe in punishment for whistleblowers? 

billhike posted:
patespo1 posted:
thistlintom posted:

So like 45, you believe in punishment for whistleblowers? 

Hopefully that is the first and last time anyone compares me to that pile of (insert shit emoji) 

Pat, I know that's the rumor going around but I'm not sure it makes sense. Locksley wasn't around during his recruitment so he shouldn't be hurt. He sees himself as the man in the DMV area and if it got out he ratted that could sink him in the area. Risk reward seems way out of whack for Locksley tonhave done that.

jburman82 posted:

Looks like he did to us what he did to UF twice. Agreed to all his demands and then he says nah.

I really don't think he has any interest in competing against the SEC and Clemson for top players.  He was never one to recruit the south anyways.  Stoops didn't really have to do that at OU, especially since they dominated TX during his tenure and he could pull plenty of talent from there.  That said it almost seemed he at OU on cruise control for his last few years.  All ways good enough to be in the conversation, but always ended up losing some games they shouldn't have.  In the long run, you might be happier he doesn't take the job as I just don't think he is motivated enough to give his all at this point.  Its why the XFL is perfect for him.

Trying to hire Bob Stoops is like Lucy pulling the football from Charlie Brown. I just did not understand his interest into returning to bigtime CFB. He quit coaching mainly because his father died of a heart attack in his late 50s, exactly where Bob is now. Money is never a problem and his wife still makes plenty for MaryKay (or some consumer products company). Pinot may have been right as to the level of his commitment to win, although he would have had FSU as a 10 win team soon. The guy FSU has in place may be their best choice.

That's all the stuff I said earlier. It never really made sense for him but it was exciting as a FSU fan. I LOVE Odell but dont want him as HC. People point to Ogeron now but forget the steaming piles he left at USC and Ole Miss. I want a young up and coming coach. Lots of names but really, who the hell knows?

Weekend Summary

Lot of stuff happened, but the status quo seems to still be in place. First, the two unbeaten teams that were not thought as legit title contenders did indeed lose. First, Minnesota went to Iowa City, watched the Hawkeyes score on their first three drives, and then saw their comeback fall short to lose 23-19. Then OU goes down 28-3 in Waco, and then patiently completes the biggest comeback in their history to edge Baylor 34-31.

LSU had a trap game in place playing a traditional rival in Ole Miss. The Tigers had a 31-7 halftime lead with Joe Burrow lighting it up again and all seemed calm. The Rebels QB John Rhys Plumlee raced for three long scores, all untouched, to make it concerning for LSU. But as they always do, LSU kept scoring themselves for a 58-37 win. The thing to watch for going forward is a team with a running QB, say Justin Fields, may beat them. Speaking of Fields, Ohio St was lackadaisical in beating Rutgers. I told y'all last week that Clemson was on a mission, and they continued that with a 52-3 thrashing of Wake Forest (and a better than average Deac team). Those three seem to be in place although Ohio St now has Penn St, Mich and the Big 10 game coming up.

Now for the interesting part. Georgia visited the Plains for the south's oldest rivalry. The Dawgs methodically built a 21-0 lead before Bo Nix led Auburn to two TDs in the 4th quarter. WDE was driving again late when Nix missed an easy 4th down pass as Georgia prevailed 21-14. Alabama drove 50 miles west to Stark-Vegas and Miss St. The Tide built an early lead 35-7, playing Tua. They left him in to "practice a 2 minute drill", but Tua suffered a hip injury which ends his season (and likely college career). Bama ran the clock out in the 2nd half 38-7. Both Utah and Oregon won big in the late games, so the Pac 12 has a real shot at the playoff. They just need Auburn to win the Iron Bowl, maybe, and LSU to beat Georgia in Atlanta. 

Some things I just do not understand:

Nebraska giving Scott Frost an extension. Yeah, I know FSU is probably calling him as are others, but why pay him if Nebraska cannot return to its past winning ways. Talk about a futures contract.

Gus Malzahn taking a TO late in the 1st half against Georgia. The Dawgs were on their own 25 2nd and 5 with like 1:25 left. They were almost conceding ending the half with a 7-0 lead. Instead, they pick up a 1st down and scored to make it 14-0 at the half. Now Gus may develop a fondness for his home state of Arkansas, but of course, with some Auburn payout cash.

And the obvious one, leaving Tua in. He probably should not have played period.

Glad to see Michigan thump MSU, but they need to take Indiana seriously before they play OSU.

Hopefully Tua's hip is not damaged.  Thinking of what happened to Bo Jackson with his hip injury and hope that doesn't happen to Tua.  

Baylor really blew that game.  They did nothing on offense for the whole second half, seemed to throw up too many prayers and not try to move the ball down the field.

jburman82 posted:

Supposedly its gambling. 

I want Franklin, Kelly or Campbell. Anyone else is settling. I really hope the USC job doesn't open up or Meyer takes it if it does. If it opens and Meyer says no Franklin probably goes there and Campbell goes to PSU.

Jack, I’m confused. Why would Franklin have any interest in taking a much lesser job than he has, and the same for Kelly? Norte Dame, Penn State or Florida State? What am I missing?

As for Campbell, I have been saying he is a coach worth watching for sure. He seems to be a good fit for the Big 10 based on his roots. 

Weekend Summary

Only a few of these left as the season is winding down but getting interesting.

Penn St visited C-bus to give Ohio St its biggest test of the year. The Buckeyes raced to a 21-0 lead, and then Penn St lost its starting QB, but made a comeback to 21-17. OSU then got a clinching TD to win 28-17, but puzzling to me, there is talk of this not being impressive enough to raise them to #1. As for PSU coach James Franklin, he is a very good coach, but one of those whose act wears a bit thin in time. It still would be a good hire for FSU.

Oregon has trouble in the Arizona desert, and that continued last night. Arizona St was on a 4 game skid, but the Sun Devils controlled the game early for a 24-7 lead. The Ducks made a comeback to close within 3, but ASU QB Jayden Daniels tossed a bomb for his 3rd TD and they held on 31-28. This loss puts Oregon out, and may well eliminate Utah as well. As for ASU coach Herm Edwards, "you play     to win     the game".

LSU started a bit slowly against Arkansas but finished strong for a 56-20 win. Their offense is setting more school and SEC records than can be counted. They should hold on to #1 next week. Go Tigers. Georgia does what they do, win a close low scoring game against A&M 19-13. These Dawgs are the old school team, built on the line of scrimmage playing physical football. Meanwhile, Alabama got the style points they needing thrashing W Carolina. The Tide probably need to beat Auburn convincingly unless they get help. Oklahoma about blew a big lead but held on the edge TCU 28-24. We could have a short reign in Miami as they lost to FIU and former coach Butch Davis. Manny Diaz may be gone real soon, but who would take that job.

After listening to the pundits, and applying some common sense, the playoff picture is down to who is #1 and who is #4. The obvious reason the top spot is coveted is that means it avoids Clemson in the semi-finals. Clemson has not played anyone really good this season, but they are the defending champs (2 out of 3) and they still could be the best team. As for #4, Georgia can get it if they win the SEC. If not, it becomes a beauty contest between Alabama, OU, Utah, Minnesota or Baylor. Next week's rivalry game could keep the status quo or provide one upset to change things.

Again, there will be good reason to have a larger number of teams in the playoff.  A minimum of 8 should be involved.  When you see the major teams playing puff teams near the end of the season and many teams are playing 13 games in a season, there is no rational reason for allowing another week of playoffs.

wineart 2 posted:
jburman82 posted:

Supposedly its gambling. 

I want Franklin, Kelly or Campbell. Anyone else is settling. I really hope the USC job doesn't open up or Meyer takes it if it does. If it opens and Meyer says no Franklin probably goes there and Campbell goes to PSU.

Jack, I’m confused. Why would Franklin have any interest in taking a much lesser job than he has, and the same for Kelly? Norte Dame, Penn State or Florida State? What am I missing?

As for Campbell, I have been saying he is a coach worth watching for sure. He seems to be a good fit for the Big 10 based on his roots. 

FSU is a better job than PSU. Harder in the short term but better. Better recruiting base, more committed administration, more money for assistants. Plus he is clashing with the admin right now. Kelly has been at ND a looooong time. His contract is up next year and word is he may sign a one or two year extension and then leave. Whether it's now or in 2-3 years his run at ND is about over. 

My concern about Campbell is he may pass on us and wait for ND or Michigan to open up.

Any of those three would be home runs for us.

greendrazi posted:

The last decent coach that FSU had left for a "lessor" program. 

He left for a lesser program that had more financials resources than FSU.  Which would make Franklin to FSU seem strange.  Penn State makes more money than FSU.  Granted they aren't far off, but according to Forbes PSU's avg 3 year revenue and profit are $104M/$54M compared to FSU at $96M/$40M

Jimbo left for a contract and facilities that will never happen at FSU. We dont have generational oil money.

What PSU makes and what they are committed to spending on football are two different things. Franklin could be using us to get concessions from the PSU admin or he could have real interest. Impossible to know from the outside looking in.

thistlintom posted:

I would be surprised if Franklin left PSU.  IMO the only thing FSU has better than PSU is a recruiting base.

Agree. In my opinion Penn State is a far more prestigious university and also a more prestigious football destination. 

That said, money talks! πŸ™ƒ

Agree about Jimbo and his coaching prowess. However, as we have said countless times, he is not the only coach to use a short window of success to make generational money.

OU fans better be concerned a bit. It is obvious that the Cowboys will have a new head coach next season and Lincoln Riley is their desired target. If so, does OU try to talk Bob Stoops to return or do they go after Urban?

wineart 2 posted:
thistlintom posted:

I would be surprised if Franklin left PSU.  IMO the only thing FSU has better than PSU is a recruiting base.

Agree. In my opinion Penn State is a far more prestigious university and also a more prestigious football destination. 

Hmm.  The schools are tied at #57 in 2020 US News and World Report rankings.  In the last 30 years, FSU has 3 Natty's to 0 for PSU, who did have two in the 80's.

vinole posted:
wineart 2 posted:
thistlintom posted:

Hmm.  The schools are tied at #57 in 2020 US News and World Report rankings.  In the last 30 years, FSU has 3 Natty's to 0 for PSU, who did have two in the 80's.

That's like 23 spots behind UF

I think PSU is a better school than FSU. Its not a better football destination. 

As for why Franklin would leave, it's not that hard. Look at Jimbo. He didn't feel supported by the Admin so he bolted for more money for himself and his staff. Franklin may do the same thing. Just like players, these coaches like to feel the love.

Add Reply

Likes (0)