Skip to main content

jburman82 posted:

Supposedly its gambling. 

I want Franklin, Kelly or Campbell. Anyone else is settling. I really hope the USC job doesn't open up or Meyer takes it if it does. If it opens and Meyer says no Franklin probably goes there and Campbell goes to PSU.

Jack, I’m confused. Why would Franklin have any interest in taking a much lesser job than he has, and the same for Kelly? Norte Dame, Penn State or Florida State? What am I missing?

As for Campbell, I have been saying he is a coach worth watching for sure. He seems to be a good fit for the Big 10 based on his roots. 

Weekend Summary

Only a few of these left as the season is winding down but getting interesting.

Penn St visited C-bus to give Ohio St its biggest test of the year. The Buckeyes raced to a 21-0 lead, and then Penn St lost its starting QB, but made a comeback to 21-17. OSU then got a clinching TD to win 28-17, but puzzling to me, there is talk of this not being impressive enough to raise them to #1. As for PSU coach James Franklin, he is a very good coach, but one of those whose act wears a bit thin in time. It still would be a good hire for FSU.

Oregon has trouble in the Arizona desert, and that continued last night. Arizona St was on a 4 game skid, but the Sun Devils controlled the game early for a 24-7 lead. The Ducks made a comeback to close within 3, but ASU QB Jayden Daniels tossed a bomb for his 3rd TD and they held on 31-28. This loss puts Oregon out, and may well eliminate Utah as well. As for ASU coach Herm Edwards, "you play     to win     the game".

LSU started a bit slowly against Arkansas but finished strong for a 56-20 win. Their offense is setting more school and SEC records than can be counted. They should hold on to #1 next week. Go Tigers. Georgia does what they do, win a close low scoring game against A&M 19-13. These Dawgs are the old school team, built on the line of scrimmage playing physical football. Meanwhile, Alabama got the style points they needing thrashing W Carolina. The Tide probably need to beat Auburn convincingly unless they get help. Oklahoma about blew a big lead but held on the edge TCU 28-24. We could have a short reign in Miami as they lost to FIU and former coach Butch Davis. Manny Diaz may be gone real soon, but who would take that job.

After listening to the pundits, and applying some common sense, the playoff picture is down to who is #1 and who is #4. The obvious reason the top spot is coveted is that means it avoids Clemson in the semi-finals. Clemson has not played anyone really good this season, but they are the defending champs (2 out of 3) and they still could be the best team. As for #4, Georgia can get it if they win the SEC. If not, it becomes a beauty contest between Alabama, OU, Utah, Minnesota or Baylor. Next week's rivalry game could keep the status quo or provide one upset to change things.

wineart 2 posted:
jburman82 posted:

Supposedly its gambling. 

I want Franklin, Kelly or Campbell. Anyone else is settling. I really hope the USC job doesn't open up or Meyer takes it if it does. If it opens and Meyer says no Franklin probably goes there and Campbell goes to PSU.

Jack, I’m confused. Why would Franklin have any interest in taking a much lesser job than he has, and the same for Kelly? Norte Dame, Penn State or Florida State? What am I missing?

As for Campbell, I have been saying he is a coach worth watching for sure. He seems to be a good fit for the Big 10 based on his roots. 

FSU is a better job than PSU. Harder in the short term but better. Better recruiting base, more committed administration, more money for assistants. Plus he is clashing with the admin right now. Kelly has been at ND a looooong time. His contract is up next year and word is he may sign a one or two year extension and then leave. Whether it's now or in 2-3 years his run at ND is about over. 

My concern about Campbell is he may pass on us and wait for ND or Michigan to open up.

Any of those three would be home runs for us.

greendrazi posted:

The last decent coach that FSU had left for a "lessor" program. 

He left for a lesser program that had more financials resources than FSU.  Which would make Franklin to FSU seem strange.  Penn State makes more money than FSU.  Granted they aren't far off, but according to Forbes PSU's avg 3 year revenue and profit are $104M/$54M compared to FSU at $96M/$40M

Last edited by pinotlvr

Jimbo left for a contract and facilities that will never happen at FSU. We dont have generational oil money.

What PSU makes and what they are committed to spending on football are two different things. Franklin could be using us to get concessions from the PSU admin or he could have real interest. Impossible to know from the outside looking in.

Agree about Jimbo and his coaching prowess. However, as we have said countless times, he is not the only coach to use a short window of success to make generational money.

OU fans better be concerned a bit. It is obvious that the Cowboys will have a new head coach next season and Lincoln Riley is their desired target. If so, does OU try to talk Bob Stoops to return or do they go after Urban?

wineart 2 posted:
thistlintom posted:

I would be surprised if Franklin left PSU.  IMO the only thing FSU has better than PSU is a recruiting base.

Agree. In my opinion Penn State is a far more prestigious university and also a more prestigious football destination. 

That said, money talks! 🙃

Hmm.  The schools are tied at #57 in 2020 US News and World Report rankings.  In the last 30 years, FSU has 3 Natty's to 0 for PSU, who did have two in the 80's.

vinole posted:
wineart 2 posted:
thistlintom posted:

I would be surprised if Franklin left PSU.  IMO the only thing FSU has better than PSU is a recruiting base.

Agree. In my opinion Penn State is a far more prestigious university and also a more prestigious football destination. 

That said, money talks! 🙃

Hmm.  The schools are tied at #57 in 2020 US News and World Report rankings.  In the last 30 years, FSU has 3 Natty's to 0 for PSU, who did have two in the 80's.

That's like 23 spots behind UF

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.