Skip to main content

scbeerman posted:

Want to have some real fun, here goes:

BCS Era - choose two between Ohio St, LSU and Clemson

Pre BCS Era for us older folks -

Conference tie in to bowls would have Ohio St to Rose to face either Oregon or Utah, Orange would likely pit Clemson against OU/Baylor winner, and Sugar would have LSU against who knows since other best teams are in SEC. Then the voters would choose based on results of games. Likely that all three unbeaten would win in routs trying to impress voters and probably result in a split poll.

Point is things have improved and we will get great playoff matchups and a worthy champ.

Still a fan of 8 team playoff, win a big 5 conference, go to the playoffs.  3 at large picks.

scbeerman posted:

Want to have some real fun, here goes:

BCS Era - choose two between Ohio St, LSU and Clemson

Pre BCS Era for us older folks -

Conference tie in to bowls would have Ohio St to Rose to face either Oregon or Utah, Orange would likely pit Clemson against OU/Baylor winner, and Sugar would have LSU against who knows since other best teams are in SEC. Then the voters would choose based on results of games. Likely that all three unbeaten would win in routs trying to impress voters and probably result in a split poll.

Point is things have improved and we will get great playoff matchups and a worthy champ.

That would be interesting for sure...the pre BCS era would definitely be a Cluster

For the BCS era, I'd go with LSU vs. Clemson to finally penalize OSU for not having at least one Power 5 out of conference game.  

greendrazi posted:

Norvell

Good call and certainly more in line of the type of coach Florida State could realistically expect, IMO.

Dreaming of Stoops, Franklin or Kelly et al just never made sense to me. Stoops walked away with back to back Big 12 titles and a ton of talent returning ( back to back again since) Franklin has a top 10 program at Penn St and Kelly has a top 15 program at Norte Dame. That said, there is talk Kelly might like to try the NFL. 

scbeerman posted:

With Oregon brushing Utah (and the Pac 12) aside, I know a certain poster will be saying "Geaux Ti-gahs" today. I myself, and this is a dream, hope for an ugly 17-16 Baylor win and LSU beating Georgia (always want this) by 28 points. Note that I did not mention Clemson in any scenario. Crazier things have happened.

I could see Baylor winning the game. The Big 12 is broken. ( thanks to Texas running off teams)  Playing a team twice in 3 weeks makes no sense. One year it could be back to back weeks. Grrr. Beating a quality team twice in three weeks is never easy, plus say the teams split and the second games counts more? Just a dumbass systems IMO. 

I thought the winner of #6 v #7 should jump the weak ass Utah schedule anyway. This said, there IMO is a serious drop off after Ohio St & LSU, but Clemson has been there before and knows how to win. 

I have a close friend that is all Georgia. I had dinner with him Wednesday and asked if Georgia could upset LSU. He ( Larry) said “ not unless they find an offensive before Saturday.” 🙃

wineart 2 posted:
greendrazi posted:

Norvell

Good call and certainly more in line of the type of coach Florida State could realistically expect, IMO.

Dreaming of Stoops, Franklin or Kelly et al just never made sense to me. Stoops walked away with back to back Big 12 titles and a ton of talent returning ( back to back again since) Franklin has a top 10 program at Penn St and Kelly has a top 15 program at Norte Dame. That said, there is talk Kelly might like to try the NFL. 

Go Sooners! Watch out for the revenge game. Otherwise, they should round out the CFP nicely.

wineart 2 posted:
greendrazi posted:

Norvell

Stoops never made sense to me and I said so but you had to try. The other two both had reasons to maybe leave. Kelly may have wanted to give it a go at a school with no academic restrictions in recruiting. Franklin may have wanted to jump to a better a job. You say it's not but since PSU and FSU joined their current conferences in the mid 90s FSU has 13 conference titles, 1 natty and 1 playoff appearance. PSU has 5 conference titles. Plus, Franklin currently works for the notoriously cheap Eric Barron (PSU pres). How do I know hes cheap? He was FSU's pres for the first part of Jimbo. It was a constant battle to get money and facilities. We all loved it when he left. We met with Franklin and he asked for about $8M per year. He did the same to USC which is a better job than PSU or FSU. PA boy who is happy at home and who will be announcing a new extension with more money very soon I'm sure. 

I feel bad for Norvell. Boosters didn't want him. The boosters were closing their check books and that's why Willie was fired. No one I have talked to is writing any big checks now either. Without booster support you have less money for staff and no bags get dropped on the recruiting trail. Quite frankly, Norvell is a dead man walking.

There is no need for a full summary. I came pretty close to my dream, but there was no chance the Gators would jump to the four spot. The Big 12 game was close, but too well played for both teams to drop. Plus, OU is a brand name and deserves the spot.

I came within a point of predicting the SEC game (just for giggles I got the trivia question without googling - 4 SEC champ Heisman winners who won it all). LSU just has it going on with Burrow and Georgia cannot score enough in a shootout. With Ohio St playing a blah first half, it may elevate LSU to the top seed. That makes a difference because I have this nagging feeling that Clemson still may be the best team.

I have not seen any odds but OU should be at least a ten point underdog to whoever gets #1. #2 vs #3 should be a 3 point spread either way.

scbeerman posted:

There is no need for a full summary. I came pretty close to my dream, but there was no chance the Gators would jump to the four spot. The Big 12 game was close, but too well played for both teams to drop. Plus, OU is a brand name and deserves the spot.

I came within a point of predicting the SEC game (just for giggles I got the trivia question without googling - 4 SEC champ Heisman winners who won it all). LSU just has it going on with Burrow and Georgia cannot score enough in a shootout. With Ohio St playing a blah first half, it may elevate LSU to the top seed. That makes a difference because I have this nagging feeling that Clemson still may be the best team.

I have not seen any odds but OU should be at least a ten point underdog to whoever gets #1. #2 vs #3 should be a 3 point spread either way.

scbeer, this years Final 4 will have a combined record of 51-1. That is amazing. 

I think we have 3 great teams this year and one good team. I would think #1 would be a two TD favorite over #4 this year, and will cover with ease.  

The final game should be epic this year, again. 

It has been an incredible year for the top 4. The pundits always say it works itself out but we needed four teams for an equitable finish this year.

Usually when they say a team does not have a chance, I go the other way. This happens more in baseball, where pitching, a hot hitter or just the unpredictability of that game, can result in the underdog team winning. It also happens in the NCAA hoops tourney especially in this era of three point shooting. Football is the one sport with the most predictable outcome, but I still would not discount Jalen Hurts and Lincoln Riley. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.