Yeah it's no fun to have a bad coach. Actually felt that way about Muschamp too. The Gamecock fans are saying the exact same things about him now.

I think Fleck may wait on Michigan or Penn State (Franklin may opt to USC West). The one school to watch out for on Clawson is Notre Dame when they tire of Kelly.

winedrmike posted:

Got to believe that Oregon is going to be the next football powerhouse.  Now that the path was cleared for athletes to profit off of their likeness, you would think that every 5 star in the nation is going to line up for some of that Nike money.

I don't think that's what the NCAA is going to allow.  Recall that the profiting off NIL, has to be aligned with the collegiate model or something like that, i.e. the NCAA is still going to ensure that it gets the lion's share of the money from the Nikes and Under Armors.

How does a very unsuccessful coach, who coaches 21 games walk away with $18 million for a state university? Florida State had no choice to fire Willie Taggert now.

Colleges are having problems paying their professors and the football coach is fired and get rich.  He gets close to $900 grand a game.

Coaches should be hired with a performance expectation clause in their contract.  If you don’t meet the agreed-on expectations, you are dismissed with no further compensation.

The person who gave Taggert this deal should have been the one fired. 

jburman82 posted:

FLwino, that's the cost of doing business now. Coaches are have all the leverage. Every contract reads the same way. They get paid no matter what.

Especially since they pried him away from Oregon, which is a pretty good gig.  Lacks the in-state talent of Florida but has great financial backing and facilities.

FLwino, also understand, at least its not the taxpayers putting up the money.  Only a small piece of his compensation was on the state payroll.  

flwino posted:

Coaches should be hired with a performance expectation clause in their contract.  If you don’t meet the agreed-on expectations, you are dismissed with no further compensation.

You're crazy if you think any "name" coach, which is what FSU wants and the alumni expect, would take that gig with such a clause in their contract. 

jburman82 posted:

I think the Young story is ridiculous but I love how it's being sold as a "family friend" but he met him the summer before his freshman year in college. Hahahahahahahahahaha

Should forfeit every win he played in...but the NCAA is totally in OSU’s back pocket otherwise Fields would be sitting out this year so, he’ll probably be back playing when they really “need” him.

Weekend Summary

Family wedding, I know there should be a law, but I still managed to keep up. There were easily 30 people in the bar portion of the clubhouse watching the end of Bama/LSU including almost every male in my family (it's just what we do).

There were two almost mortal locks this week, and I do not bet, but these were as close to sure things as exist. The first was LSU covering as Bama was favored only due to their recent dominance in the series and not their performance this year. This game indeed lived up to its billing as a high scoring affair. Alabama has recently imploded in big games, making errors uncharacteristic of a Saban team. LSU capitalized just enough for the win, and Joe Burrow may have had his Heisman moment on his final two drives. Barring a major upset, LSU can afford a loss in the SEC Title Game and still make the playoff. They are the first team since the 70s to notch four top ten wins in their first nine games. Coach O unleased a fiery F bomb to his team in the locker room but I will go with his classic "Geaux Tigahs".

The second lock was Clemson covering the spread this week, and hereon unless the oddsmakers adjust. These Tigers know they have little margin for error, and Dabo was given a gift with the initial ranking of 5 last week. I know he started that underdog rant (ROY bus and all), so his team will be on fire. Besides, that is their modus of past seasons.

We have a new catch phrase in CFB, courtesy of PJ Fleck, in "row the boat". Fleck looks to be the next super coach and has Minnesota, yes I said Minnesota, firmly in the playoff picture as they held off Penn St late. I looked at their history, and the Gophers were great in the leather  helmet era, but nothing since 1960 (where they are credited with a natty despite two losses). We will see if they can handle success and beat the Buckeyes.

Ohio State rolled Maryland for 73 points despite no Chase Young. Georgia easily beat Missouri. Both OU and Baylor survived setting up maybe the first of two games between the two.

Everyone pretty much has LSU, Ohio St and Clemson as their top 3. The next level is Georgia, Bama, Oregon or Utah, and OU or Baylor. Lots of football left.

One final note to file away. I went to the Coastal Carolina game last Thursday. They were smoked by the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, whose coach is Billy Napier. This team is likely to go 10-2 and play App St for the Sun Belt. Napier has four years with Dabo and four years with Saban. I was very impressed watching his team. If you are looking for the next coach in the SEC, Napier may be it.

I'm stunned by Minn. They barely scraped by 3 FCS teams to start the season then played the 5 worst Big 10 teams who all had to play 2nd or 3rd string QBs due to injury. I thought they were a fraud. 

This Bob Stoops to FSU stuff has me scratching my head. I dont get why he comes out of retirement. I dont get why he comes here when our Pres and AD are out within the next 18-24 months. But, credible people are saying it's a done deal and not one other name has leaked out all week. Call me hopeful but skeptical I guess.

thistlintom posted:

Even if you think OSU is the best team, you have to vote for LSU as #1 since they beat #3.

I'm a Buckeye fan, and yes I 100% agree with this statement.  LSU and OSU clearly are a cut above the rest, but LSU has a better resume. 

For all the haters, take a lesson from Maryland.  Apparently they were the ones to go to the NCAA about the Chase Young situation (he's from DC and was heavily recruited by Maryland).   OSU responds by hanging 73 on them.  Hope it was worth the bitterness.  

patespo1 posted:
thistlintom posted:

Even if you think OSU is the best team, you have to vote for LSU as #1 since they beat #3.

I'm a Buckeye fan, and yes I 100% agree with this statement.  LSU and OSU clearly are a cut above the rest, but LSU has a better resume. 

For all the haters, take a lesson from Maryland.  Apparently they were the ones to go to the NCAA about the Chase Young situation (he's from DC and was heavily recruited by Maryland).   OSU responds by hanging 73 on them.  Hope it was worth the bitterness.  

So like 45, you believe in punishment for whistleblowers? 

billhike posted:
patespo1 posted:
thistlintom posted:

So like 45, you believe in punishment for whistleblowers? 

Hopefully that is the first and last time anyone compares me to that pile of (insert shit emoji) 

Pat, I know that's the rumor going around but I'm not sure it makes sense. Locksley wasn't around during his recruitment so he shouldn't be hurt. He sees himself as the man in the DMV area and if it got out he ratted that could sink him in the area. Risk reward seems way out of whack for Locksley tonhave done that.

jburman82 posted:

Looks like he did to us what he did to UF twice. Agreed to all his demands and then he says nah.

I really don't think he has any interest in competing against the SEC and Clemson for top players.  He was never one to recruit the south anyways.  Stoops didn't really have to do that at OU, especially since they dominated TX during his tenure and he could pull plenty of talent from there.  That said it almost seemed he at OU on cruise control for his last few years.  All ways good enough to be in the conversation, but always ended up losing some games they shouldn't have.  In the long run, you might be happier he doesn't take the job as I just don't think he is motivated enough to give his all at this point.  Its why the XFL is perfect for him.

Trying to hire Bob Stoops is like Lucy pulling the football from Charlie Brown. I just did not understand his interest into returning to bigtime CFB. He quit coaching mainly because his father died of a heart attack in his late 50s, exactly where Bob is now. Money is never a problem and his wife still makes plenty for MaryKay (or some consumer products company). Pinot may have been right as to the level of his commitment to win, although he would have had FSU as a 10 win team soon. The guy FSU has in place may be their best choice.

That's all the stuff I said earlier. It never really made sense for him but it was exciting as a FSU fan. I LOVE Odell but dont want him as HC. People point to Ogeron now but forget the steaming piles he left at USC and Ole Miss. I want a young up and coming coach. Lots of names but really, who the hell knows?

Weekend Summary

Lot of stuff happened, but the status quo seems to still be in place. First, the two unbeaten teams that were not thought as legit title contenders did indeed lose. First, Minnesota went to Iowa City, watched the Hawkeyes score on their first three drives, and then saw their comeback fall short to lose 23-19. Then OU goes down 28-3 in Waco, and then patiently completes the biggest comeback in their history to edge Baylor 34-31.

LSU had a trap game in place playing a traditional rival in Ole Miss. The Tigers had a 31-7 halftime lead with Joe Burrow lighting it up again and all seemed calm. The Rebels QB John Rhys Plumlee raced for three long scores, all untouched, to make it concerning for LSU. But as they always do, LSU kept scoring themselves for a 58-37 win. The thing to watch for going forward is a team with a running QB, say Justin Fields, may beat them. Speaking of Fields, Ohio St was lackadaisical in beating Rutgers. I told y'all last week that Clemson was on a mission, and they continued that with a 52-3 thrashing of Wake Forest (and a better than average Deac team). Those three seem to be in place although Ohio St now has Penn St, Mich and the Big 10 game coming up.

Now for the interesting part. Georgia visited the Plains for the south's oldest rivalry. The Dawgs methodically built a 21-0 lead before Bo Nix led Auburn to two TDs in the 4th quarter. WDE was driving again late when Nix missed an easy 4th down pass as Georgia prevailed 21-14. Alabama drove 50 miles west to Stark-Vegas and Miss St. The Tide built an early lead 35-7, playing Tua. They left him in to "practice a 2 minute drill", but Tua suffered a hip injury which ends his season (and likely college career). Bama ran the clock out in the 2nd half 38-7. Both Utah and Oregon won big in the late games, so the Pac 12 has a real shot at the playoff. They just need Auburn to win the Iron Bowl, maybe, and LSU to beat Georgia in Atlanta. 

Some things I just do not understand:

Nebraska giving Scott Frost an extension. Yeah, I know FSU is probably calling him as are others, but why pay him if Nebraska cannot return to its past winning ways. Talk about a futures contract.

Gus Malzahn taking a TO late in the 1st half against Georgia. The Dawgs were on their own 25 2nd and 5 with like 1:25 left. They were almost conceding ending the half with a 7-0 lead. Instead, they pick up a 1st down and scored to make it 14-0 at the half. Now Gus may develop a fondness for his home state of Arkansas, but of course, with some Auburn payout cash.

And the obvious one, leaving Tua in. He probably should not have played period.

Glad to see Michigan thump MSU, but they need to take Indiana seriously before they play OSU.

Hopefully Tua's hip is not damaged.  Thinking of what happened to Bo Jackson with his hip injury and hope that doesn't happen to Tua.  

Baylor really blew that game.  They did nothing on offense for the whole second half, seemed to throw up too many prayers and not try to move the ball down the field.

jburman82 posted:

Supposedly its gambling. 

I want Franklin, Kelly or Campbell. Anyone else is settling. I really hope the USC job doesn't open up or Meyer takes it if it does. If it opens and Meyer says no Franklin probably goes there and Campbell goes to PSU.

Jack, I’m confused. Why would Franklin have any interest in taking a much lesser job than he has, and the same for Kelly? Norte Dame, Penn State or Florida State? What am I missing?

As for Campbell, I have been saying he is a coach worth watching for sure. He seems to be a good fit for the Big 10 based on his roots. 

Weekend Summary

Only a few of these left as the season is winding down but getting interesting.

Penn St visited C-bus to give Ohio St its biggest test of the year. The Buckeyes raced to a 21-0 lead, and then Penn St lost its starting QB, but made a comeback to 21-17. OSU then got a clinching TD to win 28-17, but puzzling to me, there is talk of this not being impressive enough to raise them to #1. As for PSU coach James Franklin, he is a very good coach, but one of those whose act wears a bit thin in time. It still would be a good hire for FSU.

Oregon has trouble in the Arizona desert, and that continued last night. Arizona St was on a 4 game skid, but the Sun Devils controlled the game early for a 24-7 lead. The Ducks made a comeback to close within 3, but ASU QB Jayden Daniels tossed a bomb for his 3rd TD and they held on 31-28. This loss puts Oregon out, and may well eliminate Utah as well. As for ASU coach Herm Edwards, "you play     to win     the game".

LSU started a bit slowly against Arkansas but finished strong for a 56-20 win. Their offense is setting more school and SEC records than can be counted. They should hold on to #1 next week. Go Tigers. Georgia does what they do, win a close low scoring game against A&M 19-13. These Dawgs are the old school team, built on the line of scrimmage playing physical football. Meanwhile, Alabama got the style points they needing thrashing W Carolina. The Tide probably need to beat Auburn convincingly unless they get help. Oklahoma about blew a big lead but held on the edge TCU 28-24. We could have a short reign in Miami as they lost to FIU and former coach Butch Davis. Manny Diaz may be gone real soon, but who would take that job.

After listening to the pundits, and applying some common sense, the playoff picture is down to who is #1 and who is #4. The obvious reason the top spot is coveted is that means it avoids Clemson in the semi-finals. Clemson has not played anyone really good this season, but they are the defending champs (2 out of 3) and they still could be the best team. As for #4, Georgia can get it if they win the SEC. If not, it becomes a beauty contest between Alabama, OU, Utah, Minnesota or Baylor. Next week's rivalry game could keep the status quo or provide one upset to change things.

Again, there will be good reason to have a larger number of teams in the playoff.  A minimum of 8 should be involved.  When you see the major teams playing puff teams near the end of the season and many teams are playing 13 games in a season, there is no rational reason for allowing another week of playoffs.

wineart 2 posted:
jburman82 posted:

Supposedly its gambling. 

I want Franklin, Kelly or Campbell. Anyone else is settling. I really hope the USC job doesn't open up or Meyer takes it if it does. If it opens and Meyer says no Franklin probably goes there and Campbell goes to PSU.

Jack, I’m confused. Why would Franklin have any interest in taking a much lesser job than he has, and the same for Kelly? Norte Dame, Penn State or Florida State? What am I missing?

As for Campbell, I have been saying he is a coach worth watching for sure. He seems to be a good fit for the Big 10 based on his roots. 

FSU is a better job than PSU. Harder in the short term but better. Better recruiting base, more committed administration, more money for assistants. Plus he is clashing with the admin right now. Kelly has been at ND a looooong time. His contract is up next year and word is he may sign a one or two year extension and then leave. Whether it's now or in 2-3 years his run at ND is about over. 

My concern about Campbell is he may pass on us and wait for ND or Michigan to open up.

Any of those three would be home runs for us.

greendrazi posted:

The last decent coach that FSU had left for a "lessor" program. 

He left for a lesser program that had more financials resources than FSU.  Which would make Franklin to FSU seem strange.  Penn State makes more money than FSU.  Granted they aren't far off, but according to Forbes PSU's avg 3 year revenue and profit are $104M/$54M compared to FSU at $96M/$40M

Jimbo left for a contract and facilities that will never happen at FSU. We dont have generational oil money.

What PSU makes and what they are committed to spending on football are two different things. Franklin could be using us to get concessions from the PSU admin or he could have real interest. Impossible to know from the outside looking in.

thistlintom posted:

I would be surprised if Franklin left PSU.  IMO the only thing FSU has better than PSU is a recruiting base.

Agree. In my opinion Penn State is a far more prestigious university and also a more prestigious football destination. 

That said, money talks! 🙃

Agree about Jimbo and his coaching prowess. However, as we have said countless times, he is not the only coach to use a short window of success to make generational money.

OU fans better be concerned a bit. It is obvious that the Cowboys will have a new head coach next season and Lincoln Riley is their desired target. If so, does OU try to talk Bob Stoops to return or do they go after Urban?

wineart 2 posted:
thistlintom posted:

I would be surprised if Franklin left PSU.  IMO the only thing FSU has better than PSU is a recruiting base.

Agree. In my opinion Penn State is a far more prestigious university and also a more prestigious football destination. 

Hmm.  The schools are tied at #57 in 2020 US News and World Report rankings.  In the last 30 years, FSU has 3 Natty's to 0 for PSU, who did have two in the 80's.

vinole posted:
wineart 2 posted:
thistlintom posted:

Hmm.  The schools are tied at #57 in 2020 US News and World Report rankings.  In the last 30 years, FSU has 3 Natty's to 0 for PSU, who did have two in the 80's.

That's like 23 spots behind UF

I think PSU is a better school than FSU. Its not a better football destination. 

As for why Franklin would leave, it's not that hard. Look at Jimbo. He didn't feel supported by the Admin so he bolted for more money for himself and his staff. Franklin may do the same thing. Just like players, these coaches like to feel the love.

Weekend Summary

Rivalry week usually means the Iron Bowl is the most compelling game which is exactly what happened. In fact, it is game of the year IMHO, with more cliff hangers than an Indiana Jones movie. I could write a book on this game, but will make it concise. The game was tied 10-10 with 5:45 left in the 1st half, and the halftime score was Bama 31-27.  This time period included a pick six, a KO return TD, a fumble, a long TD drive with incredible catches, a long TD catch and run, and a disputed down call at 1 second left which resulted in a Nick Saban meltdown (best part of the day). The defining play occurred in the 3rd Q when Bama had a 1st and goal on the Auburn 1 leading 31-30 (after endless PI calls). QB Mac Jones, who played a good game, attempted a swing pass in the flat to Najee Harris, but the ball bounced off his back into the Auburn LB hands who then returned it 100 yds for a pick six (same sideline as the kick six of 2103).  Bama rallied to lead but Auburn responded for a 48-45 lead. Then the Bama nemesis struck again, Bama has had more missed FGs under Saban than anyone, as the attempted tying kick hit the left upright. The final play was the insult to injury. Auburn had a 4th and 4 on its own 28 with a minute to go, having to punt. Gus Malzahn placed his punter as a WR in formation leaving his offense on the field. Bama was confused, sent 12 men on the field, got penalized giving Auburn the 1st down they needed to expire the clock. Saban was whining about that in the post game.

I about predicted Michigan may upset Ohio St given their recent play, but history prevented me from doing so. The Buckeyes again hung 50 on Harbaugh behind JK "all day" Dobbins and Justin Fields. The easiest fundraising ask in C-bus is to give to Jim Harbaugh's salary fund. Wisconsin did the playoff committee a big favor by smoking Minnesota. Could you have imagined the uproar if Georgia and Minnesota would have won their conference title games meaning that either OSU or LSU would have been excluded.

LSU had a score to settle with Texas A&M after that 7 OT loss of last season. Told that their defense is their weakness, they were on a mission as they wiped out A&M 51-7. Coach O left in the starters to emphasize playing a 60 minute game. Both OSU and LSU know the importance of the #1 seed.

That is because Clemson causally beat the Gamecocks again 38-3. Trevor Lawrence is getting it together, and while Joe Burrow is the deserving Heisman winner, Lawrence is the QB NFL GMs covet. The grade on Clemson is incomplete, and while that may sound a bit crazy, they have not played a top caliber opponent. Past history says they are as good as anyone, and they are on a huge winning streak.

Georgia beat Georgia Tech 52-7, the most points hung on the Jackets in the series history. This game could be costly as star RB D'Andre Swift hurt his shoulder and WR Pickens will miss the 1st half of next week's game in Atlanta for fighting. I say Georgia loses which opens the door for either Utah or the OU/Baylor winner.

Finally, Florida started slowly but ended the year nicely at 10-2. Their only two losses were close ones to LSU and Georgia. This despite playing with a bad run blocking OL and a career backup QB (who in fairness was more effective than the starter).  If LSU beats Georgia, you can make a case for the Gators as the 2nd best SEC team in a year where the SEC has five of the ten best teams. Reasonable Gator fans have to be happy with this regular season.

greendrazi posted:

DOINK!  

And nothing more ironic than Saban complaining about getting a second added back on the clock to kick a field goal. Compounding the irony, by complaining that he should have been given more time to get his 12th man off the field.

Simply a brilliant game to watch. There was 869 yards of offense, 51 first downs and Auburn hung 48 on Saban breaking OU’s mark of 45 on Saban. 

Alabama now has missed 101 FG attempts in Saban’s time at Alabama. 😳

scbeerman posted:

Weekend Summary

Rivalry week usually means the Iron Bowl is the most compelling game which is exactly what happened. In fact, it is game of the year IMHO, with more cliff hangers than an Indiana Jones movie. I could write a book on this game, but will make it concise. The game was tied 10-10 with 5:45 left in the 1st half, and the halftime score was Bama 31-27.  This time period included a pick six, a KO return TD, a fumble, a long TD drive with incredible catches, a long TD catch and run, and a disputed down call at 1 second left which resulted in a Nick Saban meltdown (best part of the day). The defining play occurred in the 3rd Q when Bama had a 1st and goal on the Auburn 1 leading 31-30 (after endless PI calls). QB Mac Jones, who played a good game, attempted a swing pass in the flat to Najee Harris, but the ball bounced off his back into the Auburn LB hands who then returned it 100 yds for a pick six (same sideline as the kick six of 2103).  Bama rallied to lead but Auburn responded for a 48-45 lead. Then the Bama nemesis struck again, Bama has had more missed FGs under Saban than anyone, as the attempted tying kick hit the left upright. The final play was the insult to injury. Auburn had a 4th and 4 on its own 28 with a minute to go, having to punt. Gus Malzahn placed his punter as a WR in formation leaving his offense on the field. Bama was confused, sent 12 men on the field, got penalized giving Auburn the 1st down they needed to expire the clock. Saban was whining about that in the post game.

I about predicted Michigan may upset Ohio St given their recent play, but history prevented me from doing so. The Buckeyes again hung 50 on Harbaugh behind JK "all day" Dobbins and Justin Fields. The easiest fundraising ask in C-bus is to give to Jim Harbaugh's salary fund. Wisconsin did the playoff committee a big favor by smoking Minnesota. Could you have imagined the uproar if Georgia and Minnesota would have won their conference title games meaning that either OSU or LSU would have been excluded.

LSU had a score to settle with Texas A&M after that 7 OT loss of last season. Told that their defense is their weakness, they were on a mission as they wiped out A&M 51-7. Coach O left in the starters to emphasize playing a 60 minute game. Both OSU and LSU know the importance of the #1 seed.

That is because Clemson causally beat the Gamecocks again 38-3. Trevor Lawrence is getting it together, and while Joe Burrow is the deserving Heisman winner, Lawrence is the QB NFL GMs covet. The grade on Clemson is incomplete, and while that may sound a bit crazy, they have not played a top caliber opponent. Past history says they are as good as anyone, and they are on a huge winning streak.

Georgia beat Georgia Tech 52-7, the most points hung on the Jackets in the series history. This game could be costly as star RB D'Andre Swift hurt his shoulder and WR Pickens will miss the 1st half of next week's game in Atlanta for fighting. I say Georgia loses which opens the door for either Utah or the OU/Baylor winner.

Finally, Florida started slowly but ended the year nicely at 10-2. Their only two losses were close ones to LSU and Georgia. This despite playing with a bad run blocking OL and a career backup QB (who in fairness was more effective than the starter).  If LSU beats Georgia, you can make a case for the Gators as the 2nd best SEC team in a year where the SEC has five of the ten best teams. Reasonable Gator fans have to be happy with this regular season.

scberman,
Thanks for another great write up and another (regular) season of them. And who did the Gators beat in Gainesville yesterday?  

Took my sons to their first Buckeye-Xichigan game, and boy was it worth it sitting in the cold.  My 9 year old (celebrating his birthday) predicted a '50-burger' for the Buckeyes, and they didn't disappoint.  The best part was the Big House clearing out midway through the 4th quarter of all of the Xichigan 'fans', followed by chants of O-H-I-O and the OSU fight song ringing through the stadium.  

Keep Harbaugh forever indeed! 

patespo1 posted:

Took my sons to their first Buckeye-Xichigan game, and boy was it worth it sitting in the cold.  My 9 year old (celebrating his birthday) predicted a '50-burger' for the Buckeyes, and they didn't disappoint.  The best part was the Big House clearing out midway through the 4th quarter of all of the Xichigan 'fans', followed by chants of O-H-I-O and the OSU fight song ringing through the stadium.  

Obviously a wonderful experience with your sons!

Name another Michigan coach that has ever been 0-5 against tOS. 

wineart 2 posted:
patespo1 posted:

Obviously a wonderful experience with your sons!

Name another Michigan coach that has ever been 0-5 against tOS. 

Truly was, thank god I got them into the Buckeyes as they(we) also are Browns fans 

wineart 2 posted:
pinotlvr posted:

If LSU beats GA, they will be the only team in the top 4 to have played on out of conference power 5 team that wasn't an annual in-state rivalry.

If LSU beats Georgia, what teams are in the top 4?

I guess I should have put that I'd assume Utah would take the #4 spot if they win the Pac12.  OU already beat Baylor and is behind Utah, so if Utah beats Oregon, does beating Baylor again provide enough to jump Utah?  Baylor could be the weakest 10-1 team in recent memory, scraping by in far too many games this year.  In a beauty contest, what matters more?  OU's K-state loss vs. Utah's USC loss or OU beating Baylor twice.

Obviously still a lot of what if's...and if OU does make the top 4, they do have UCLA as a non conference opponent.   Power 5 match-ups don't always live up to being competitive (Florida had 2 this year and both were 6-6) and most thought Chip Kelly would do better when UCLA than he's done, but at least OU put them on the schedule

Want to have some real fun, here goes:

BCS Era - choose two between Ohio St, LSU and Clemson

Pre BCS Era for us older folks -

Conference tie in to bowls would have Ohio St to Rose to face either Oregon or Utah, Orange would likely pit Clemson against OU/Baylor winner, and Sugar would have LSU against who knows since other best teams are in SEC. Then the voters would choose based on results of games. Likely that all three unbeaten would win in routs trying to impress voters and probably result in a split poll.

Point is things have improved and we will get great playoff matchups and a worthy champ.

scbeerman posted:

Conference tie in to bowls would have Ohio St to Rose to face either Oregon or Utah, Orange would likely pit Clemson against OU/Baylor winner, and Sugar would have LSU against who knows since other best teams are in SEC. Then the voters would choose based on results of games. Likely that all three unbeaten would win in routs trying to impress voters and probably result in a split poll.

Point is things have improved and we will get great playoff matchups and a worthy champ.

Still a fan of 8 team playoff, win a big 5 conference, go to the playoffs.  3 at large picks.

scbeerman posted:

That would be interesting for sure...the pre BCS era would definitely be a Cluster

For the BCS era, I'd go with LSU vs. Clemson to finally penalize OSU for not having at least one Power 5 out of conference game.  

greendrazi posted:

Norvell

Good call and certainly more in line of the type of coach Florida State could realistically expect, IMO.

Dreaming of Stoops, Franklin or Kelly et al just never made sense to me. Stoops walked away with back to back Big 12 titles and a ton of talent returning ( back to back again since) Franklin has a top 10 program at Penn St and Kelly has a top 15 program at Norte Dame. That said, there is talk Kelly might like to try the NFL. 

With Oregon brushing Utah (and the Pac 12) aside, I know a certain poster will be saying "Geaux Ti-gahs" today. I myself, and this is a dream, hope for an ugly 17-16 Baylor win and LSU beating Georgia (always want this) by 28 points. Note that I did not mention Clemson in any scenario. Crazier things have happened.

scbeerman posted:

With Oregon brushing Utah (and the Pac 12) aside, I know a certain poster will be saying "Geaux Ti-gahs" today. I myself, and this is a dream, hope for an ugly 17-16 Baylor win and LSU beating Georgia (always want this) by 28 points. Note that I did not mention Clemson in any scenario. Crazier things have happened.

I could see Baylor winning the game. The Big 12 is broken. ( thanks to Texas running off teams)  Playing a team twice in 3 weeks makes no sense. One year it could be back to back weeks. Grrr. Beating a quality team twice in three weeks is never easy, plus say the teams split and the second games counts more? Just a dumbass systems IMO. 

I thought the winner of #6 v #7 should jump the weak ass Utah schedule anyway. This said, there IMO is a serious drop off after Ohio St & LSU, but Clemson has been there before and knows how to win. 

I have a close friend that is all Georgia. I had dinner with him Wednesday and asked if Georgia could upset LSU. He ( Larry) said “ not unless they find an offensive before Saturday.” 🙃

wineart 2 posted:
greendrazi posted:

Norvell

Good call and certainly more in line of the type of coach Florida State could realistically expect, IMO.

Dreaming of Stoops, Franklin or Kelly et al just never made sense to me. Stoops walked away with back to back Big 12 titles and a ton of talent returning ( back to back again since) Franklin has a top 10 program at Penn St and Kelly has a top 15 program at Norte Dame. That said, there is talk Kelly might like to try the NFL. 

Go Sooners! Watch out for the revenge game. Otherwise, they should round out the CFP nicely.

wineart 2 posted:
greendrazi posted:

Norvell

Stoops never made sense to me and I said so but you had to try. The other two both had reasons to maybe leave. Kelly may have wanted to give it a go at a school with no academic restrictions in recruiting. Franklin may have wanted to jump to a better a job. You say it's not but since PSU and FSU joined their current conferences in the mid 90s FSU has 13 conference titles, 1 natty and 1 playoff appearance. PSU has 5 conference titles. Plus, Franklin currently works for the notoriously cheap Eric Barron (PSU pres). How do I know hes cheap? He was FSU's pres for the first part of Jimbo. It was a constant battle to get money and facilities. We all loved it when he left. We met with Franklin and he asked for about $8M per year. He did the same to USC which is a better job than PSU or FSU. PA boy who is happy at home and who will be announcing a new extension with more money very soon I'm sure. 

I feel bad for Norvell. Boosters didn't want him. The boosters were closing their check books and that's why Willie was fired. No one I have talked to is writing any big checks now either. Without booster support you have less money for staff and no bags get dropped on the recruiting trail. Quite frankly, Norvell is a dead man walking.

There is no need for a full summary. I came pretty close to my dream, but there was no chance the Gators would jump to the four spot. The Big 12 game was close, but too well played for both teams to drop. Plus, OU is a brand name and deserves the spot.

I came within a point of predicting the SEC game (just for giggles I got the trivia question without googling - 4 SEC champ Heisman winners who won it all). LSU just has it going on with Burrow and Georgia cannot score enough in a shootout. With Ohio St playing a blah first half, it may elevate LSU to the top seed. That makes a difference because I have this nagging feeling that Clemson still may be the best team.

I have not seen any odds but OU should be at least a ten point underdog to whoever gets #1. #2 vs #3 should be a 3 point spread either way.

scbeerman posted:

There is no need for a full summary. I came pretty close to my dream, but there was no chance the Gators would jump to the four spot. The Big 12 game was close, but too well played for both teams to drop. Plus, OU is a brand name and deserves the spot.

I came within a point of predicting the SEC game (just for giggles I got the trivia question without googling - 4 SEC champ Heisman winners who won it all). LSU just has it going on with Burrow and Georgia cannot score enough in a shootout. With Ohio St playing a blah first half, it may elevate LSU to the top seed. That makes a difference because I have this nagging feeling that Clemson still may be the best team.

I have not seen any odds but OU should be at least a ten point underdog to whoever gets #1. #2 vs #3 should be a 3 point spread either way.

scbeer, this years Final 4 will have a combined record of 51-1. That is amazing. 

I think we have 3 great teams this year and one good team. I would think #1 would be a two TD favorite over #4 this year, and will cover with ease.  

The final game should be epic this year, again. 

It has been an incredible year for the top 4. The pundits always say it works itself out but we needed four teams for an equitable finish this year.

Usually when they say a team does not have a chance, I go the other way. This happens more in baseball, where pitching, a hot hitter or just the unpredictability of that game, can result in the underdog team winning. It also happens in the NCAA hoops tourney especially in this era of three point shooting. Football is the one sport with the most predictable outcome, but I still would not discount Jalen Hurts and Lincoln Riley. 

flwino posted:

Taggert to FAU   What a laugh.  Maybe will achieve his level of competence by downgrading to a lower class college program.

At least FAU had a real coach before

Taggert did just fine at USF.  Probably should have stayed there.  He'll do just fine at FAU too, where there are less expectations, 

Add Reply

Likes (0)