I do not know if many of the old participants are still out there, but hopefully we can draw them back for our usual passionate discussion of college football. Quoting my new favorite singer Luke Combs "if you are not fired up for football season then something is wrong with you". He also has a line in a song that "like diamond rings and football teams have torn this boy apart". It is an emotional sport for sure.

Unfortunately for fans of other teams, the same three schools are at the top, primarily due to their huge recruiting hauls. Clemson, Alabama and Georgia simply have rosters above everyone else. I look for two of these three to play for it all again next January.

There are intriguing stories elsewhere who could rise to playoff status:

Oklahoma - Lincoln Riley has another senior transfer QB in Jalen Hurts (Bama). Remember that Riley has coached the last two Heisman winners in Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, both transfers. If Hurts rises to this level of play, the Sooners will be in the playoff.

Ohio State - the Buckeyes have former #1 recruit QB Justin Fields from Georgia, but he is not a proven commodity to date. They still have talent, but it remains to be seen if Ryan Day can coach at a high level.

Michigan - Jim Harbaugh pretty much better beat Ohio St this year or the Wolverine fan base will be on him. While he also has a nice roster, I do not get the pre-season love for this team.

LSU - transfer QB Joe Burrow (seeing a trend here) is in his second year, and the Bengal Tigers are sensing a big year. However, their schedule is brutal and they still have Coach O at the helm. Wild card team here.

Florida - the Gators still have not obtained an elite roster (very good but far from great) and lost too many key recruits in the offseason. However, Dan Mullen is using the transfer portal well so there is a shot. Their season's result is simple, can Felipe Franks play like he did at the end of last year, or improve, and will the young OL produce. If so, they can have a good year.

Oregon - the Ducks are emerging as a recruiting power and the Pac 12 needs a playoff team desperately. It may come down to senior QB Justin Herbert. Their first game against Auburn (the ultimate wild card team every year) will tell us a lot.

Finally, prayers granted for Texas A&M and South Carolina. Both have Alabama, Georgia and Clemson on their schedule.  

Original Post

Ok it was Week 0 and that's the quality of game we got. The scoreboard says the Gators won 24-20 but I still do not believe it. Give Miami credit for putting up a very good fight, but let's face it, this was a game both teams deserved to lose.

I thought that Feleipe Franks had turned the corner as a QB, expecting a big year, but what we got was the same erratic, showboating, frustrating guy. He is a very difficult guy to support even if he is on my team. He did make enough plays to win the game, but he threw one of the dumbest interceptions ever. The facial expression of Steve Spurrier said it all there.

Miami had a nice game plan allowing young QB Jarren Williams (he is going to be good) a chance to make plays despite his young OL. Their wildcat with DJ Dallas worked great especially since the Gators decided not to tackle him. The Canes also had the ball bouncing their way, recovering every fumble and having both tipped pass in their favor (TD and int). However, the Gators pass rush won this game, even after Miami had the last eight minutes to score (longest eight minutes ever).

The Gators better improve or it is a 7-5 year. Specifically, the interior OL needs a push for the running game, the receivers need to get separation, the DBs need to live up to their reputations and Franks (help us here) needs to mature.

Weekend Summary

It was week one, but it felt like mid-season, playing golf, cooking steaks, drinking beer/White Claw/wine and watching college football with my son.

We got a classic to start the season in Jerry World. Oregon came out fast grabbing a lead on Auburn and definitely left precious points on the table early. These Ducks are different and I think that they will be a force going forward, solid team. However, the perpetual roller coaster that is Gus Bus ball rallied for a last second wind. Frosh QB Bo Nix played like one, but he never quit and delivered two great passes when it counted, something very hard to teach. As one of my favorite bloggers said "Auburn kept punching the ATM machine and money finally came out".

At the top, it looks like business as usual. Clemson, Georgia, Bama and Ohio St all won easily. I still think Clemson and Georgia are the best. Bama had trouble running the ball on Duke on short yardage and they lost their best LB, Dylan Moses, for the season. Georgia transfer Justin Fields lit it up for Ohio St.

Let's call this hot seat central:

Charlie Strong - South Florida gets rolled by Wisconsin 49-0 in Tampa. Good man but it seems to be falling apart.

Willie Taggart - FSU starts strong then collapses for a crushing loss. Please keep him.

Will Muschamp - always plays not to lose and then always loses. Great defensive assistant but not a head coach. Although Mack Brown is back making NC respectable, he still made his usual dumb decision taking a knee with time still on the clock.

Matt Luke - Ole Miss loses to a good Memphis team but he was a compromise choice.

Chip Kelly - UCLA losing and offense is boring. Bad fit and thankfully Gators did not hire him.

Jeremy Pruitt - loses to 2-10 Ga State in Neyland getting dominated on both lines. Could be another Muschamp, good defensive coach not fit for head job.

The question is, which of these school presidents will hold their nose, sell their soul, and hire Hugh Freeze (who coached from a hospital bed yesterday).

Happy to beat the Ducks again on a final drive. Auburn is going to be a wild ride this year.

Agree on your Hot Seat list SCbeerman, with Kelly and Taggart being the biggest towers to likely fall. Although, the buyouts may keep them around. FSU has only blown 18 point leads twice and both of those occurred under Taggart. Boise St ran 108 plays while controlling the ball for 40 minutes. Ouch!   

SC thanks for the summaries, they will keep me coming back to the Forums.  

Didn't watch THE Ohio State game as I was out golfing, but from the highlights Fields looks like he is going to be pretty dynamic.  Granted it was against FAU, but a nice way to start the season (52 yard TD on his 2nd play from scrimmage!).  

My Miami (OH) Redhawks fell to a pretty good Iowa team, they kept it close early but then it got out of hand.

Jalen Hurts looked great for Oklahoma, will they be able to stop a team when it counts though.  

Fun first weekend. 

I don't really follow college football, but I do note that U of Maryland is now 2-0, having scored 79 points in their first game and 63 yesterday.  Yesterday they knocked off a ranked team (Syracuse #21) by scoring 6 touchdowns in the first half.

Weekend Summary

As for missing my calling, maybe, but beer pays better. This is just for fun as is my Instagram. Just ask W2A for my handle (his is really good as well). It is golf, food and landmarks.

Early in the season so it is hard to get a handle on everything. To me, there are six teams with a chance at the whole thing so we start there. Clemson faced a Texas A&M team that gave them a game last year, but the Aggies had to make a trip to Upstate SC. The Tigers were not flashy, just methodical, in a 24-10 win. Dabo always brings his teams to a peak, and they have a schedule which allows them that luxury. Georgia and Bama handled outmatched opponents, nothing remarkable there.

Now onto the three teams which are better than I thought pre-season. The formula is simple for Lincoln Riley, take a good transfer QB and make him a Heisman winner and #1 pick. Jalen Hurts has adapted well thus far, and is putting up superior numbers at this point to Mayfield and Murray. The Sooner defense, while maybe not dominant, may be good enough to get it done this year. Georgia transfer and former #1 recruit Justin Fields looks to be for real as well. I thought that OSU would dip a bit under Ryan Day, but maybe not. The Bucks dominated a decent Cincinnati team. LSU visited Austin and played a Big 12 type game, outlasting Texas 45-38. Transfer QB joe Burrow (seeing the pattern here) looked the best of any LSU QB in recent memory. All three of these teams are serious playoff contenders.  

Now for a few teams under the radar who could be better than we think. Wisconsin can score points. So can Maryland. Both can be factors in the Big 10. Mack Brown has revived NC with frosh QB Sam Howell. Wake Forest can score points but we will see if they can play against teams with big lines. NC plays Wake next week.

And for the ones who are a bit less than expected. Michigan was fortunate to beat Army, to be fair so was OU last year, and Shea Patterson better start throwing better. Jim Harbaugh is annoying enough, and if he does not win the Big 10 this year it may be back to the NFL. I still think Scott Frost will do ok at Nebraska, but they are not a real threat to win the Big 10.

And finally, a few things that are already trite this season. One, Aussie punters who are 30 years old, Two, announcers saying if you know you are going for it on 4th down it affects the 3rd down call (duh). Three, the term complimentary football (meaning a slow tempo offense helps your defense).

Mike Locksley is proving to be quite the enigma as an offense minded coach. As the OC at Bama for just 1yr, he changed their approach to a more wide open offense and set a lot of school records. Or was it mostly Tua? The early, high scoring success at Maryland suggests he's got a mind for the game.

Weekend Summary

Always good to hear from my biggest booster, making me appear better than I really am. Sorry for the tardiness, but a round of golf and a bit of boredom is in play here.

It was an extremely uneventful weekend, even for this crazy game. My two teams were involved with two of the most compelling games. On Friday night, Mack Brown brought his improved Tar Heels to Winston-Salem to face another 2-0 team in Wake Forest. The Deacs ran out to a 21 point lead before hanging on for a six point win (although NC probably should have been granted a final play). Do not laugh, but Wake has a chance at a 9 or 10 win season providing their depth does not do them in. The Gators visited the bluegrass to face a Kentucky team which broke a 31 year streak last year. The Wildcats dominated both lines of scrimmage to gain a 21-10 lead, and then injured Florida QB Feleipe Franks (out for year and maybe more) on a 4th down play. The Gators then stuffed a 4th down play of their own and sent out career backup Kyle Trask who proceeded to lead two TD drives for a 1 point lead. The Cats drove down but missed a chip shot FG (Gators then got a tack on TD) to give Florida its second win that was improbable.

As for the national scene, the only ranked teams to lose were Maryland (come on man its Temple), Michigan State and So Cal. The top teams cruised although SCar played Alabama surprisingly close in the first half (typical Muschamp team making dumb errors). Bama can throw to those four racehorse WRs, but their lack of running game makes then vulnerable.

The SEC has 5 of the top 9 teams, making their champ likely to have a loss but still making the playoff. Clemson and Oklahoma look to have clear paths to the playoff (OU surely beats Texas this year). Ohio State is the class of the Big Ten. While the Pac 12 has 6 ranked teams, Utah is the highest ranked at 10 and most are in the lower half. The wildcard is always Notre Dame, and they travel "tween the hedges" next week to face Georgia, so we get read on those two teams. I think there are two other contests with both teams ranked, maybe in the SEC. The focus will become a bit clearer, and remember that the upset weekend will occur when we least expect it.

scbeerman posted:

Weekend Summary

Always good to hear from my biggest booster, making me appear better than I really am. Sorry for the tardiness, but a round of golf and a bit of boredom is in play here.

It was an extremely uneventful weekend, even for this crazy game. My two teams were involved with two of the most compelling games. On Friday night, Mack Brown brought his improved Tar Heels to Winston-Salem to face another 2-0 team in Wake Forest. The Deacs ran out to a 21 point lead before hanging on for a six point win (although NC probably should have been granted a final play). Do not laugh, but Wake has a chance at a 9 or 10 win season providing their depth does not do them in. The Gators visited the bluegrass to face a Kentucky team which broke a 31 year streak last year. The Wildcats dominated both lines of scrimmage to gain a 21-10 lead, and then injured Florida QB Feleipe Franks (out for year and maybe more) on a 4th down play. The Gators then stuffed a 4th down play of their own and sent out career backup Kyle Trask who proceeded to lead two TD drives for a 1 point lead. The Cats drove down but missed a chip shot FG (Gators then got a tack on TD) to give Florida its second win that was improbable.

As for the national scene, the only ranked teams to lose were Maryland (come on man its Temple), Michigan State and So Cal. The top teams cruised although SCar played Alabama surprisingly close in the first half (typical Muschamp team making dumb errors). Bama can throw to those four racehorse WRs, but their lack of running game makes then vulnerable.

The SEC has 5 of the top 9 teams, making their champ likely to have a loss but still making the playoff. Clemson and Oklahoma look to have clear paths to the playoff (OU surely beats Texas this year). Ohio State is the class of the Big Ten. While the Pac 12 has 6 ranked teams, Utah is the highest ranked at 10 and most are in the lower half. The wildcard is always Notre Dame, and they travel "tween the hedges" next week to face Georgia, so we get read on those two teams. I think there are two other contests with both teams ranked, maybe in the SEC. The focus will become a bit clearer, and remember that the upset weekend will occur when we least expect it.

So is Kyle Trask an upgrade or downgrade?  

greendrazi posted:

Mike Locksley is proving to be quite the enigma as an offense minded coach. As the OC at Bama for just 1yr, he changed their approach to a more wide open offense and set a lot of school records. Or was it mostly Tua? The early, high scoring success at Maryland suggests he's got a mind for the game.

.. or not.

greendrazi posted:
scbeerman posted:

Weekend Summary

So is Kyle Trask an upgrade or downgrade?  

He can't really completely run Mullin's offense, but he's a better pure passer than Franks.  With the Gators' being unable to run the ball thus far this season, he might actually help...but I also expect to see Emory Jones more this year as well, which opens up Mullen's entire playbook

Its hard to say on Trask. Per message boards and a Coach Spurrier podcast, Trask gets the ball out faster and probably reads defenses a bit better than Franks. However, he cannot make all of the throws that Franks can and will run less. Without threat of the run from Trask, you may see more pressure on him which would lead to more draws, screens etc.Pinot is correct as Emory Jones will play some as a change of pace. Whoever is in there at QB, the young offensive line needs to improve their run blocking.

Weekend Summary

Vegas edition - saw Aerosmith last night and still have the iconic voice of Steven Tyler and guitar playing of Joe Perry in my head, so we will "walk this way" and proceed. For being out of town I got to watch a surprising amount of football. There were three notable games so we start there.

Jim Harbaugh attracts attention everywhere and not always positive. His antics energize his own fan bases and irritate the others. Problem is, when you cannot win a statement game, it wears thin. Michigan rolled into Camp Randall and subsequently got rolled by a good Wisconsin team 35-14. The Badgers raced out to a 35 point lead under Heisman candidate RB Jonathan Taylor never looking back. This was a statement win putting Wisconsin in the playoff talk. As for Captain Khaki, I am guessing his agent is reaching out to all of the 0-2 NFL teams as the end has to be near in Ann Arbor (other than running the table).

The Men of the Plains visited Aggieland and JImbo Fisher. Auburn, the ultimate wild card, dominated early with the run for a statement 28-20 win. While A&M had some chances, it was clear Auburn was the better team. They can wreak havoc going forward and with only one loss, make the SEC game in Atlanta. Gus Malzahn wins just when he is about to be run out of town.

Notre Dame went down "tween the hedges" to play them Dawgs, and no one gave them a chance. They held a 10-7 halftime lead, went down 23-10, scored a late TD and had a chance at the end for a 23-17 final. Georgia is loaded, but may be too conservative and they may not be quite as good as thought. Or ND may be better than we thought. Either way, the Irish will need some help in making the playoff.

The rest of the powers cruised. Florida backup Kyle Trask did just fine in his first start since 9th grade (read his story in the Atlantic you will like this guy no matter who you pull for) in beating a bad Tennessee team 34-3. I bet the Gators and the under winning two bets. Florida has a gauntlet of Auburn, LSU and Georgia in October, and they will have to play perfect to win any one of those games.

As for the outsiders crashing the playoff party, ND may be out since they may not have a quality opponent left on their schedule. Utah was the Pac 12's best hope, and they lost to SCal. UCF lost their first regular season game in three years as Pitt ran the "Philly special" to edge them 35-34. Thankfully, no more UCF playoff talk.

Good day for CFB. Having beat UCF, Pitt is now the national champs. Khaki-pants is Michigan’s “forever coach” - until the Detroit Lions call. ND still wasn’t physical enough at the line, but if the other playoff contenders drop a game, the fanbase will put them back in the picture. UCLA vs Wash St 67-63 is evidence the college game is turning into arena football.

And Auburn is now 4-0 at Kyle field. 

scbeerman posted:

Weekend Summary

Vegas edition - saw Aerosmith last night and still have the iconic voice of Steven Tyler and guitar playing of Joe Perry in my head, so we will "walk this way" and proceed. For being out of town I got to watch a surprising amount of football. There were three notable games so we start there.

Jim Harbaugh attracts attention everywhere and not always positive. His antics energize his own fan bases and irritate the others. Problem is, when you cannot win a statement game, it wears thin. Michigan rolled into Camp Randall and subsequently got rolled by a good Wisconsin team 35-14. The Badgers raced out to a 35 point lead under Heisman candidate RB Jonathan Taylor never looking back. This was a statement win putting Wisconsin in the playoff talk. As for Captain Khaki, I am guessing his agent is reaching out to all of the 0-2 NFL teams as the end has to be near in Ann Arbor (other than running the table).

The Men of the Plains visited Aggieland and JImbo Fisher. Auburn, the ultimate wild card, dominated early with the run for a statement 28-20 win. While A&M had some chances, it was clear Auburn was the better team. They can wreak havoc going forward and with only one loss, make the SEC game in Atlanta. Gus Malzahn wins just when he is about to be run out of town.

Notre Dame went down "tween the hedges" to play them Dawgs, and no one gave them a chance. They held a 10-7 halftime lead, went down 23-10, scored a late TD and had a chance at the end for a 23-17 final. Georgia is loaded, but may be too conservative and they may not be quite as good as thought. Or ND may be better than we thought. Either way, the Irish will need some help in making the playoff.

The rest of the powers cruised. Florida backup Kyle Trask did just fine in his first start since 9th grade (read his story in the Atlantic you will like this guy no matter who you pull for) in beating a bad Tennessee team 34-3. I bet the Gators and the under winning two bets. Florida has a gauntlet of Auburn, LSU and Georgia in October, and they will have to play perfect to win any one of those games.

As for the outsiders crashing the playoff party, ND may be out since they may not have a quality opponent left on their schedule. Utah was the Pac 12's best hope, and they lost to SCal. UCF lost their first regular season game in three years as Pitt ran the "Philly special" to edge them 35-34. Thankfully, no more UCF playoff talk.

Wonderful summary as always. 

I’m in Maui but did see some football as it starts at 6:00 am here.😎.  I heard Harbaugh has NEVER won a game at Michigan where he was an underdog. Ever. He is the only coach of a Power 5 conference team that can make that statement.

greendrazi posted:

Good day for CFB. Having beat UCF, Pitt is now the national champs. Khaki-pants is Michigan’s “forever coach” - until the Detroit Lions call. ND still wasn’t physical enough at the line, but if the other playoff contenders drop a game, the fanbase will put them back in the picture. UCLA vs Wash St 67-63 is evidence the college game is turning into arena football.

And Auburn is now 4-0 at Kyle field. 

Auburn 4-0 at College Station. Wow. 

One on the things I hate about the SEC is how seldom some teams play each other in their own damn conference. I have a friend that is a bulldog. I told him to go to an Aggie game when they play Georgia. Well, that has still never happened yet and is still a couple of years away I think. Never. Dumb. 

csm posted:
jburman82 posted:

Didn't Michigan give Harbaugh a lifetime contract?

The rest of the Big Ten sure hopes so. 

Joe Staley has the best commentary ever about Harbaugh, delivered directly to him on the sideline and easy for even the most basic lip reader to translate: "Shut up you fucking idiot."

csm posted:
jburman82 posted:

Didn't Michigan give Harbaugh a lifetime contract?

The rest of the Big Ten sure hopes so. 

I can tell you everyone in the State of Ohio hope he stays for life.  Guy is a straight fraud.

My Alma Mater Miami (OH) only lost by 71 points this weekend...

As much as I hate Notre Dame, have to give them a ton of credit for competing like they did against Georgia.  I for one thought they would get blown out.  

Awesome summary SC, I say Aerosmith in the early '90s and 'Dream On' remains one of the best live songs I've experienced.  

Weekend Summary

Yes, watching an iconic band sing their iconic song is as good as it gets. Dream On is a special song for sure.

Usually a theme is obvious every week but I am struggling to find one. Despite some nice intersectional games, the season has gone as expected, chalk per se. While it may have always been that way, the recruiting advantage of a few schools has made it where the same teams are on top. This is even though my team, the Gators, are 5-0 and in the top ten, but I am not booking any rooms in Atlanta or in the playoff cities.

We almost got that major upset yesterday. Clemson visited Chapel Hill, a place where they have never won a basketball game ever (look it up) to face a 28 point underdog. Kenan Stadium is a beautiful venue, set beneath the Carolina pines, and Mack Brown is making it relevant again. The Tar Heels scored on the first possession and had it tied 14 all at the half. After failing to convert a 4th and one at midfield, Trevor Lawrence hit Tee Higgins for the score for a 7 point lead. NC then made a long inexorable march of 8 minutes down the field, converting maybe two 4th downs, to score with about a minute left. I told my son at the five minute mark that Mack would go for two, he did, but did not make it. I applaud him for playing to win. Clemson survived 21-20 for a 20 game winning streak (soon to be a lot more), but may move down in the polls.

Ohio St is really good. Gameday was in Lincoln trying to remind us of the glory days of Cornhusker football, but not yesterday. Transfer QB and former #1 recruit Justin Fields has the Buckeye offense in full throttle mode in an easy win. How Fields got a waiver to play this year is a mystery (some guy calls him a name from the stands), but OSU is thankful. Oklahoma is also good piling up points on Texas Tech. The other big name transfer QB, Jalen Hurts (who graduated at Bama so no questions here) is merely fulfilling the Lincoln Riley formula. Both of these QBs payed in the SEC Title Game last year so the irony of them meeting in a playoff game elsewhere is noted.

These are the teams most likely to make the playoff outside the SEC. Maybe Notre Dame (better than you think), Wisconsin, Iowa or Penn State are the exceptions. The top half of the SEC is loaded. Bama is Bama except they are all offense with Tua tossing it to his multiple "frisbee catching dogs" (Mark Packer phrase) for loads of points. LSU can now score as well. Remember the 9-6 Bama-LSU game in 2011. Well, this year is may be 63-60 as times have changed. Then you have Georgia playing the traditional game of big line, ball control and timely passing. Finally, Auburn has found a running game and a gutsy frosh QB and they may actually win the SEC West. I am going to the game in Gainesville next week to watch a rivalry that never should have gone away. Florida/Auburn games are some of the best games of my lifetime.

Adding on to the discussion.

According to ESPN, Florida has the toughest schedule going forward which is a main reason that there are no expectations of a huge season. Ohio St is 19, Oklahoma 35th and Clemson 58th. Would the committee dare taking two one loss teams from the SEC over a conference champ?

scbeerman posted:

Adding on to the discussion.

According to ESPN, Florida has the toughest schedule going forward which is a main reason that there are no expectations of a huge season. Ohio St is 19, Oklahoma 35th and Clemson 58th. Would the committee dare taking two one loss teams from the SEC over a conference champ?

I think it depends on the team . No way Ohio State or Oklahoma get passed over. 

Thus far, as boring of a college football season as I can recall in many years. That said, college football is the best. 

scbeerman posted:

Weekend Summary

Yes, watching an iconic band sing their iconic song is as good as it gets. Dream On is a special song for sure.

Usually a theme is obvious every week but I am struggling to find one. Despite some nice intersectional games, the season has gone as expected, chalk per se. While it may have always been that way, the recruiting advantage of a few schools has made it where the same teams are on top. This is even though my team, the Gators, are 5-0 and in the top ten, but I am not booking any rooms in Atlanta or in the playoff cities.

We almost got that major upset yesterday. Clemson visited Chapel Hill, a place where they have never won a basketball game ever (look it up) to face a 28 point underdog. Kenan Stadium is a beautiful venue, set beneath the Carolina pines, and Mack Brown is making it relevant again. The Tar Heels scored on the first possession and had it tied 14 all at the half. After failing to convert a 4th and one at midfield, Trevor Lawrence hit Tee Higgins for the score for a 7 point lead. NC then made a long inexorable march of 8 minutes down the field, converting maybe two 4th downs, to score with about a minute left. I told my son at the five minute mark that Mack would go for two, he did, but did not make it. I applaud him for playing to win. Clemson survived 21-20 for a 20 game winning streak (soon to be a lot more), but may move down in the polls.

Ohio St is really good. Gameday was in Lincoln trying to remind us of the glory days of Cornhusker football, but not yesterday. Transfer QB and former #1 recruit Justin Fields has the Buckeye offense in full throttle mode in an easy win. How Fields got a waiver to play this year is a mystery (some guy calls him a name from the stands), but OSU is thankful. Oklahoma is also good piling up points on Texas Tech. The other big name transfer QB, Jalen Hurts (who graduated at Bama so no questions here) is merely fulfilling the Lincoln Riley formula. Both of these QBs payed in the SEC Title Game last year so the irony of them meeting in a playoff game elsewhere is noted.

These are the teams most likely to make the playoff outside the SEC. Maybe Notre Dame (better than you think), Wisconsin, Iowa or Penn State are the exceptions. The top half of the SEC is loaded. Bama is Bama except they are all offense with Tua tossing it to his multiple "frisbee catching dogs" (Mark Packer phrase) for loads of points. LSU can now score as well. Remember the 9-6 Bama-LSU game in 2011. Well, this year is may be 63-60 as times have changed. Then you have Georgia playing the traditional game of big line, ball control and timely passing. Finally, Auburn has found a running game and a gutsy frosh QB and they may actually win the SEC West. I am going to the game in Gainesville next week to watch a rivalry that never should have gone away. Florida/Auburn games are some of the best games of my lifetime.

As always, thanks for the fine post.

I’m surprised there has not been more debate/ discussion about Fields being a better QB than Fromm. 

wineart 2 posted:
scbeerman posted:

Weekend Summary

As always, thanks for the fine post.

I’m surprised there has not been more debate/ discussion about Fields being a better QB than Fromm. 

I’m not surprised. Kirby’s game philosophy is the same as Saban’s when he was still the DC there. Which is to say that he wants a “game manager” at QB and Fromm had already proven that ability by getting them to the Natty in his first year.

thistlintom posted:
csm posted:

SC depends on the record of the conference champ I think.  Undefeated conference champ, I don’t think so. 1 los conference champ, possible, perhaps even likely.  

Clearly, we need an 8 team playoff. 

Yes!

+1, firmly in the 8 team playoff camp.

The two biggest questions for OSU coming into the season were Fields and new HC Ryan Day.  So far both proving they're worth the hype.  This is Ohio St's best receiving core maybe ever, and will get even better next year when Julian Fleming (#1 receiver in the nation) joins the team.  Paired with true freshman Garrett Wilson, they'll put on a show. 

Buckeyes need to avoid the mid season stumble they've had the last few years, but Ryan Day so far has not let the foot off of the gas.  

Meanwhile, Xichigan fans are celebrating a shutout win over perennial loser Rutgers...

I think the most compelling playoff matchups would be Tua versus Hurts and Fields versus Fromm.  I just don't see Clemson being left out of the playoffs unless they have another meltdown and actually lose a game.  The level of competition in the ACC is particularly bad this year.

i saw Aerosmith at the Prudential Center in Newark, and NJ native Darryl DMC McDaniels came out and sang Walk this Way with Steven Tyler which was pretty special.

Nice discussion going.

Agree that Ohio St and Oklahoma are easily in if unbeaten. 

The Fields thing is interesting. JB is spot on with his assessment. While Kirby is clearly comfortable with his ball control QB in Fromm, a modern day Bob Griese if you will, Dabo and Saban went a different direction. Dabo had a reasonably good starter in Kelly Bryant but went with frosh superstar Trevor Lawrence and won it all. He probably could have reached the title game last year with Bryant, but he knew he needed Lawrence to beat Bama. Saban replaced Jalen Hurts with Tua in the 2017 title game, started Tua all last year, then went to Hurts to win the SEC title game. Now Tua starts and Hurts is at OU. The best way may be to be coached by Lincoln Riley, who seemingly can make a superstar with any QB. There is no simple way, and while Kirby could use some game day skills, I cannot fault him with sticking with Fromm.

I like Fromm. He is good. However, Fields was clearly more dynamic since high school. 

I mock my UF  friends about the talent UGA has and say it doesn't matter that Mullen is a good coach since he is Uncle Eddie on the recruiting trail. UF wont sniff a SEC East title for a while. They come back with Smart isnt really that smart. When he does stuff like run off Fields its hard to disagree. 

Can Riley recruit and develop his own QB? That's a question whispered in the ear of every high school QB in the country.

Weekend Summary

Sorry for the late post but I traveled to the game and have been watching baseball as well. I do not write about it much, but I love baseball and am a fanatical Braves fan.

I go down to Gainesville about once a year, but as I attended the game with my son I reflected upon the beauty of CFB and being able to go to games since 1965 (Gators since 1977). The emotions of seeing old friends and experiencing the gameday traditions are a beautiful constant in life. The Swamp was as alive as I ever remembered it, and singing "I Won't Back Down" with 90,000 people was awesome. Ok, enough of the philosophy as many of you are rolling your eyes now.

Auburn came into Gainesville confident, well earned, for a clash with Florida. The loud crowd no doubt had an adverse effect upon frosh prodigy QB Bo Nix who may not have been ready for the moment. Or perhaps, the physical Gator defense shutting down the run was probably more of a factor. It was a very strange first half, error prone, with the Gators leading 17-13. The 3rd quarter turned into an old fashioned SEC field position slugfest, and you pretty much knew one big play would decide it. Much maligned (by his own fans) senior RB Lamichael Perine then dashed 88 yds down the sideline to clinch it 24-13. It was sweet justice for Perine, an Alabama native and 3 star recruit deemed too slow to play at Auburn.

What we learned about the Gators is that despite their many flaws, they are physical, have a strong will to win and play great when it matters. While LSU and Georgia are daunting tasks, they are not as far fetched as previously believed. The Gators may not win, but they will be in both games in the second half.

Nothing else happened on the national scene as many teams had the week off. Everyone knows that the SEC has five legit teams (yes Florida is objectively in that group now), but the Big 10 also has three contenders in Ohio St, Penn St and Wisconsin. Oklahoma and Clemson have the easiest road to the playoff. Notre Dame is still not out of it. There are a lot of good teams this year. While boring to date, the season is about to ramp up when we get some head to head matchups.

scbeerman posted:

Weekend Summary

Sorry for the late post but I traveled to the game and have been watching baseball as well. I do not write about it much, but I love baseball and am a fanatical Braves fan.

I go down to Gainesville about once a year, but as I attended the game with my son I reflected upon the beauty of CFB and being able to go to games since 1965 (Gators since 1977). The emotions of seeing old friends and experiencing the gameday traditions are a beautiful constant in life. The Swamp was as alive as I ever remembered it, and singing "I Won't Back Down" with 90,000 people was awesome. Ok, enough of the philosophy as many of you are rolling your eyes now.

Auburn came into Gainesville confident, well earned, for a clash with Florida. The loud crowd no doubt had an adverse effect upon frosh prodigy QB Bo Nix who may not have been ready for the moment. Or perhaps, the physical Gator defense shutting down the run was probably more of a factor. It was a very strange first half, error prone, with the Gators leading 17-13. The 3rd quarter turned into an old fashioned SEC field position slugfest, and you pretty much knew one big play would decide it. Much maligned (by his own fans) senior RB Lamichael Perine then dashed 88 yds down the sideline to clinch it 24-13. It was sweet justice for Perine, an Alabama native and 3 star recruit deemed too slow to play at Auburn.

What we learned about the Gators is that despite their many flaws, they are physical, have a strong will to win and play great when it matters. While LSU and Georgia are daunting tasks, they are not as far fetched as previously believed. The Gators may not win, but they will be in both games in the second half.

Nothing else happened on the national scene as many teams had the week off. Everyone knows that the SEC has five legit teams (yes Florida is objectively in that group now), but the Big 10 also has three contenders in Ohio St, Penn St and Wisconsin. Oklahoma and Clemson have the easiest road to the playoff. Notre Dame is still not out of it. There are a lot of good teams this year. While boring to date, the season is about to ramp up when we get some head to head matchups.

Beer, you are correct. I can’t recall a more boring start to a season. 

Glad you all had a great game day. Post some pictures on IG.

jburman82 posted:

I like Fromm. He is good. However, Fields was clearly more dynamic since high school. 

I mock my UF  friends about the talent UGA has and say it doesn't matter that Mullen is a good coach since he is Uncle Eddie on the recruiting trail. UF wont sniff a SEC East title for a while. They come back with Smart isnt really that smart. When he does stuff like run off Fields its hard to disagree. 

Can Riley recruit and develop his own QB? That's a question whispered in the ear of every high school QB in the country.

Greeny, Riley had both Baker and Kyler for 3 years, so seems he can develop just fine. As for can he recruit, he recruited the #1 Pro prospect in the nation last year. I’m hoping Rattler redshirts but he has already played in 3 games as Hurts plays little thus far in second half. 

patespo1 posted:

The Ohio St. - Wisconsin game is going to be a real battle, and Penn St. is lurking but hasn't played anyone.  Michigan St. has a very good defense, they 'held' Ohio St. to 34.  

Xichigan-Iowa was like watching monkeys hump a football.  

Michigan v Iowa was truly unwatchable.

Weekend Summary

Back home from many trips with no family functions, just a day to watch football. And it was a day of many games as the season is finally heating up.

We start between the hedges in Athens where a lackluster SC team visited them Dawgs. The Gamecocks just flat out were more physical than Georgia which made up for the talent disparity. SC shut down Georgia's running game, made QB Jake Fromm toss it more than usual. SC was holding on dearly to its 17-10 halftime( with its 3rd QB) lead late when Ga tied it (after a BS def hold on a 4th down play) sending it to OT. After a Ga WR muffed a pass for an SC int, the Gamecocks missed a 33 yd FG resulting in DOT. Carolina settled for a FG, stopped Ga and their trusty kicker, who also missed a big one last year in the SEC Title game, pulled it left giving Will Muschamp a 20-17 upset win. No one does less with more talent than Kirby Smart.

The other noon game was the Red River game in Dallas between OU and Texas. The game was a defensive struggle early before the scoring heated up. OU was generally in control of this game throughout and prevailed 34-27. The Sooners are much better on defense, more balanced on offense and now have a clear path to the playoff. As noted before, they have just enough defense to compete with the big boys.   

The 3:30 window had Alabama going to Kyle Field to play A&M. After a tight first quarter, the Tide did their thing, tossing it around to their all world receivers for big scores. The final was 47-28 which is about the margin Clemson beat A&M. We will find out about Bama in Nov.  when they play LSU and Auburn. Speaking of Clemson, they hosted FSU in Upstate SC. In what used to be a great rival game, these programs have gone in complete different paths. The Tigers jumped out to an easy 42-0 lead, Trevor Lawrence looking better, for a 45-14 win. Dabo was no doubt on his team after the close NC win as he knows where he has to be for the playoff. He always builds them for that task, but he knows he may have to be undefeated, due to his weak schedule, to get there

Finally, at night the big one in Red Stick before a crazed Cajun crowd. I know Penn St beat Iowa 17-12 and ND edged USC 30-27 (in what used to be a huge game) but obviously I did not watch a play of either. The experts all said LSU would win easily and the final result showed that, but it was a much more competitive game than that. This well played game was back and forth, with LSU striking quickly for their scores while the Gators methodically drove it down the field for theirs. The game was 21 all at the half and 28-28 in the 4th quarter before LSU got two more for the 42-28 win. Florida needed to play a perfect game to win in this stadium, and they gave it a shot, but LSU is the better team. In fact, they are really, really good. They have a Saints off cood who has them playing like the Saints. QB Joe Burrow is making NFL reads and throws, and is in the Heisman race.

.All in all, a good day of football and I was happy to watch it.

It's still amazing to observe that both LSU & Bamma look unbeatable on offense and very beatable on defense. The 11/9 game will be a shootout?

Sooners have gotten over their only roadblock to the playoffs.

tOSU vs Wisky in a couple of weeks should be a good game.

The Dawgs' loss places them in a doubtful playoff spot position.

greendrazi posted:

It's still amazing to observe that both LSU & Bamma look unbeatable on offense and very beatable on defense. The 11/9 game will be a shootout?

Sooners have gotten over their only roadblock to the playoffs.

tOSU vs Wisky in a couple of weeks should be a good game.

The Dawgs' loss places them in a doubtful playoff spot position.

Greeny, I was also thinking about the Bama v LSU game. Bama has given up 28 to A&M, 31 to Ole Miss and 23 to South Carolina.  Saban may have a stroke! 

Sooners may have to play Texas again (dumbass conference) and either team beating the other twice in a year will be difficult.

scbeerman posted:

Weekend Summary

Back home from many trips with no family functions, just a day to watch football. And it was a day of many games as the season is finally heating up.

We start between the hedges in Athens where a lackluster SC team visited them Dawgs. The Gamecocks just flat out were more physical than Georgia which made up for the talent disparity. SC shut down Georgia's running game, made QB Jake Fromm toss it more than usual. SC was holding on dearly to its 17-10 halftime( with its 3rd QB) lead late when Ga tied it (after a BS def hold on a 4th down play) sending it to OT. After a Ga WR muffed a pass for an SC int, the Gamecocks missed a 33 yd FG resulting in DOT. Carolina settled for a FG, stopped Ga and their trusty kicker, who also missed a big one last year in the SEC Title game, pulled it left giving Will Muschamp a 20-17 upset win. No one does less with more talent than Kirby Smart.

The other noon game was the Red River game in Dallas between OU and Texas. The game was a defensive struggle early before the scoring heated up. OU was generally in control of this game throughout and prevailed 34-27. The Sooners are much better on defense, more balanced on offense and now have a clear path to the playoff. As noted before, they have just enough defense to compete with the big boys.   

The 3:30 window had Alabama going to Kyle Field to play A&M. After a tight first quarter, the Tide did their thing, tossing it around to their all world receivers for big scores. The final was 47-28 which is about the margin Clemson beat A&M. We will find out about Bama in Nov.  when they play LSU and Auburn. Speaking of Clemson, they hosted FSU in Upstate SC. In what used to be a great rival game, these programs have gone in complete different paths. The Tigers jumped out to an easy 42-0 lead, Trevor Lawrence looking better, for a 45-14 win. Dabo was no doubt on his team after the close NC win as he knows where he has to be for the playoff. He always builds them for that task, but he knows he may have to be undefeated, due to his weak schedule, to get there

Finally, at night the big one in Red Stick before a crazed Cajun crowd. I know Penn St beat Iowa 17-12 and ND edged USC 30-27 (in what used to be a huge game) but obviously I did not watch a play of either. The experts all said LSU would win easily and the final result showed that, but it was a much more competitive game than that. This well played game was back and forth, with LSU striking quickly for their scores while the Gators methodically drove it down the field for theirs. The game was 21 all at the half and 28-28 in the 4th quarter before LSU got two more for the 42-28 win. Florida needed to play a perfect game to win in this stadium, and they gave it a shot, but LSU is the better team. In fact, they are really, really good. They have a Saints off cood who has them playing like the Saints. QB Joe Burrow is making NFL reads and throws, and is in the Heisman race.

.All in all, a good day of football and I was happy to watch it.

The ACC has only 1 team currently ranked in the top 25. Wow!  

It's amazing how quickly conferences can go from down to up or vice versa. 4 years ago FSU, Clemson and Louisville were top 15 teams with ND State and VT top 25 caliber teams and the SEC pretty much had Bama. One conference got its coaching hires right and one didn't. 

Kirby Smart is a great recruiter (at least his bag men are) but man does he always find a way to blow it. I wonder when their fans lose patience? Get a good coach in there and its possibly back to back titles with that talent. 

FSU lost to Clemson by basically the same score as Bama did in the title game. We're back baby!!!!!

One thing is for sure...I'll never complain about having a coach in Athens that can recruit but can't coach....as eventually that leads to the "bag" men being less effective over time when GA doesn't win anything or will eventually lead to going way over the line and opening themselves up to recruiting violations.  Its also nice having a coach in Tally that can neither recruit or coach.

Shouldn't take long for some top High School QB's to notice how good Mullen has made a 3 star recruit with little game experience coming into college.

While I still don't think we pull off the win against GA, it now at least appears the chance of it happening is a little better than "slim and none".

Weekend Summary

I watched a lot of football again due to a wise decision, and that was to stay home instead of going to Columbia for the Gator game. In the past, I would have gone despite the weather, but given my age and travel schedule, my dry home felt good. In that weather, I may have declined an invite to a top 20 golf course.

We start with the entertaining games:

UNC/Va Tech goes 6 OTS 43-41 Hokies. Who knew on the 5th OT it now comes down to one play at the 3 yd line for each team. Neither team wanted this one in OT.

Texas outlasts Kansas 50-48 in Austin.

Oregon edges Washington 35-31 and is not out of the playoff picture yet.

My apologies, somewhat, to Jim Harbaugh as his team came back from a 21 point hole to lose to Penn St 28-21. A dropped pass at the end may have forced OT.

Illinois pulls the upset of the da;y, knocking off Wisconsin on a walk off FG 24-23.

Wake beats FSU 24-22, to go 6-1. Wake should never beat FSU but I probably said that 7 years ago when it last occurred.

Now for the playoff contenders:

In what used to be a great rivalry, Alabama beat Tenn (3rd Sat and all that) 35-13, but this game was much closer than that. Tua left the game with the dreaded high ankle sprain (not his first) which could become a problem in three weeks.

They were revved up in Stark-Vegas as Miss St scored to make it 9-7 against LSU. Never mind, as LSU and Heisman favorite Joe Burrow cruised to a 36-13 win.

Ohio St easily beat Northwestern. Clemson is sleepwalking through their schedule, and after a slow start, won easily at Louisville. OU had little trouble with WV.

In the rains of TS Nestor, Georgia had a scoreless tie with Kentucky at the half. The Dawgs did not run a play in Ky territory in that half while the Cats had zero yds passing. Georgia got it together in the 2nd half to win 21-0. Finally, the Gators faced a charged up Gamecock fan base after a brutal two game run. While benefiting from a few calls, the Gators finally got the lead in the 4th quarter and won 38-27. The Cocktail Party game in Jax is in two weeks and is now an even game (would have never thought that earlier this year).

Oh yeah, Minnesota, SMU and Baylor are all unbeaten. To me, Ohio St and LSU are the best two teams thus far.

scbeerman posted:

Weekend Summary

Ohio St easily beat Northwestern.

Unfortunately, I was at this game.  Final score 52-3, but it wasn't that close. 

I was able to convince my wife to leave at halftime, and we were home by the end of the game.  My son in law and his family are from Ohio and they all came in for the game - they were happy at the outcome, but a bit bummed out by the Illinois win over Wisconsin as it takes away from what was to be a big game this coming weekend.  The high-lite of the evening was definitely the tailgate.  

I saw this article last week about it being time for Florida fans to embrace Urban Meyer and what he accomplished while head coach at Florida

https://www.orlandosentinel.co...jvqhau7re-story.html

I have an open mind, since time does heal old wounds...and now that Meyer is no longer at OSU...and with his former OC Mullen as our coach...I'm ok welcoming him back.....as long as....

https://247sports.com/college/...-is-fired-137327773/

This never materializes.  

Time and winning might heal wounds but its a well established fact Meyer is a liar and a scum bag. I'd rather have another lost decade than have him as our coach. A large portion of the fan base feels this way. Its not happening. Those articles are click bait.

There is a lot more to think about than just we lost to Wake, screw this. Firing him now would set this program back 5 years. Its a small sample so far but we are seeing the early signing period is killing first year coach's classes. They get stuck with kids they may not want or don't fit their scheme and the "high star" kids they do get are only available because other teams who have been in on them backed off or don't value them as highly as their stars suggest. To do this twice in three years would be roster suicide. Its also incredibly unfair to fire a coach after one real recruiting class.

Never mind what coach in their right mind would walk into this program right now. APR number is a disaster since Jimbo didn't make kids go to class so you cant purge the roster of kids you don't want. (this has affected Willie too). University Pres, AD and Booster Pres are all retiring next year so the people who hired you wont be here to protect you. 

FSU has serious money problems. We were an all girls school for a long time. Law school wasn't founded until 1966, Medical school wasn't founded until 2000. We don't have a big donor base. Here's a fun stat. FSU has 14 people who donate more than $25K per year. UGA has 38 people who donate an average of $200K over a five year span and 1150 people who donate $25k. We are way behind in TV money too because our network is just getting started. After dropping the requisite $30M-$40M on outgoing and incoming buyouts, the football budget will be destroyed. Our scholarships aren't even endowed for god's sake.

Willie gets 3 years. It will at least give him time to set a nice floor for the roster for whoever comes next and will take about $7M off that buyout number. Hopefully with some new OL he can put together a nice season next year and this becomes moot. Im not sure he can but I do believe he deserves the chance.

Only win 4 games and this all goes out the window. Fire him.

Just saw an article where a former foundation head in Louisiana was sentenced to 33 months in prison for money laundering, wire fraud etc. He was apparently a very careless bagman as $167,000 of his embezzlement was directed to the father of former LSU OL Vadal Alexander who started there from 2012-2015. Alexander was a 4 star recruit and rated 167 by ESPN coming out of high school. So we now know that the market price of a player in that range is $167k.

scbeerman posted:

Just saw an article where a former foundation head in Louisiana was sentenced to 33 months in prison for money laundering, wire fraud etc. He was apparently a very careless bagman as $167,000 of his embezzlement was directed to the father of former LSU OL Vadal Alexander who started there from 2012-2015. Alexander was a 4 star recruit and rated 167 by ESPN coming out of high school. So we now know that the market price of a player in that range is $167k.

Not surprising, lots of rumors of SEC schools paying players among other things

thistlintom posted:
scbeerman posted:

Not surprising, lots of rumors of SEC schools paying players among other things

Don't kid yourself thinking this is limited to the SEC.  

Weekend Summary

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Yes, the playoff committee is breathing a sigh of relief, for now. It appeared that they had to make a tough choice of an unbeaten Oklahoma over a one loss Alabama or LSU. Not anymore as OU went to the Little Apple and got upset by KState 48-41. The Wildcats were the more physical team and raced out to a 48-23 lead. The Sooners have that winner's mindset and came back to make it a one score game late, and they appeared to recover an onside kick, but it was correctly reversed to seal their upset. OU needs a lot of help now.

We were treated to an old fashioned SEC slugfest, the kind of game Auburn likes to play. The Tigers, of the Plains variety, visited the Tigers, of the Bayou variety, in Death Valley. Auburn's DL harassed LSU QB Joe Burrow (first time this season for him) and that resulted in a narrow 23-20 LSU win. Burrow proved that he can win a game using his feet and intangibles, making key run after key run to keep drives alive. And Bo Nix, the prodigy Auburn QB, just does not quit . He is wildly inaccurate in big games, but always seems to make a play late. Auburn scored a late TD, and had their hands on the onside kick attempt, but LSU recovered and held on.

I wanted to watch some football last night, but no game was close. I was switching channels, but always seemed to go to baseball and Tiger Woods. For the first time in Nick Saban's tenure in T-town, he had to start a backup QB. Mac Jones executed a modest game plan and Bama swamped a bad Arkansas team. Clemson may be rounding into form as they boat raced BC 59-7. The khaki man finally got him a top ten win as Michigan was just flat out more physical than Notre Dame 45-14 in a downpour. No talk of ND in the playoff anymore.

So here is where we are, there are five teams for four slots. Both Bama and LSU, providing the winner beats the Florida/Georgia winner in the SEC Title Game, may well have two slots locked up. That is if the loser of that game goes unbeaten, and yes I know Auburn is capable of beating Bama. The Ohio St/Penn St winner should be the other one. However, Penn St plays unbeaten Minnesota next week so we may have to wait a week or so on that one. And then there, as always,  is Clemson, who should breeze their way in.

This is what I meant by my opening statement. The same teams are there, particularly Alabama and Clemson. The only caveat is that neither team has played anyone good, but that will change shortly for the Tide. 

thistlintom posted:

Glad to see Michigan’s game coming around with a dominating performance.  We will see if the have really turned the corner with the game against MSU.  Man was it pouring in the first half!

Harbaugh finally gets another  Top 10 win (he was 1-10 previously), although ND is/was highly overrated.  I love that it gives Xichigan fans some hope, like they really have a decent team and coach.  Hope Harbaugh stays there forever.

This is the most dominant Ohio State team I've seen in a long time.  Chase Young is the best player in college football.  The main concern is lack of depth at QB, so hoping Fields stays healthy all season.  

patespo1 posted:
thistlintom posted:

Glad to see Michigan’s game coming around with a dominating performance.  We will see if the have really turned the corner with the game against MSU.  Man was it pouring in the first half!

Harbaugh finally gets another  Top 10 win (he was 1-10 previously), although ND is/was highly overrated.  I love that it gives Xichigan fans some hope, like they really have a decent team and coach.  Hope Harbaugh stays there forever.

This is the most dominant Ohio State team I've seen in a long time.  Chase Young is the best player in college football.  The main concern is lack of depth at QB, so hoping Fields stays healthy all season.  

I think you may be correct. tOSU have been extremely impressive thus far. 

ND was no where near as good this year as last year. They got their ass handed to them. Still, for the life of me I don't understand why Kelly continues to call games in driving rain storms the same way he does on sunny days. Baffling.

I was not impressed with Michigan. OSU wins by 30.

So we are looking at paying college athletes for using their image or  being an outstanding athlete instead of just providing them with a free college education and stipends for living expenses.  Instead of going down this path, it would make much more sense for the NFL to set up a minor league pro system that would take kids out of high school and pay them to play and develop them into pro athletes.  This is not uncommon as it is offered in other sports.  College football has been corrupted by all the money in it and it would only get worse when paying athletes for attending school  Let's return it back to what it should be and make it truly for student athletes.  If you want money or don't want to get an education, go to the minor league.  If you want a free education, go to college and maybe turn pro if you develop into an NFL calibre player.

IMO a minor league system for football will not work. Let's see, you have empty stadiums and bus rides for the players in the minors as compared to the players being treated like royalty at present. A few may not be fit for school, but most are and CFB has never been more popular.

About time these kids got theirs. Other kids on scholarships can go earn money. They should too

Ad a side note, screw Senator Burr. This douche bag wants to introduce legislation that makes their scholarships taxable. Better do that to all the other type of schalorships too. Asshat.

The players get a free ride to school with academic counseling available, and also get a stipend for travel and miscellaneous expenses.  Michigan provides about $2,500 per semester and SEC schools provide about $5,000 per semester.  (The rationale for SEC players getting that much more is questionable, but that is another subject).   How many people would love to have that opportunity,which is worth at least $200,000? 

If you think there is cheating going on now, just wait until players can get paid.  Would boosters be able to pay players for their "images" and such?  Could Nike pay more to players who go to Oregon?  How do you police any of this?  If players want to be paid, let them go straight to the NFL or have a minor league.  There are a lot more than a few players that are not fit for school.  Look at what studies these kids are taking and their graduation rate, it is a farce at many schools.

Weekend Summary

The top 5 had the week off, well Clemson played Wofford so that counts as a week off. That left the Jax Cocktail Party as the focal game. The bottom line is Georgia is better. They have 59 blue chip players, maybe as many five stars as some NFL teams, to Florida's 39. The galling thing is that this was still a winnable game for the Gators, but "3rd and Grantham" struck again. DC Todd Grantham's soft zone scheme has a way of allowing good offenses to convert third downs. Dawg QB Jake Fromm was hardly touched all day behind his massive OL and had time to play pitch and catch on 3rd downs (12-18). Kirby Smart actually outcoached Dan Mullen as Georgia exploited every Gator weakness. The fact that they only won by 24-17 is a credit to the Gator players who did not quit.

We lost two unbeatens this week, App St and SMU. Baylor barely won and will lose soon. Oregon won impressively against USC and is sneaking into the playoff picture. If they play a one loss Utah team in the Pac 12 game, that league might actually get in, maybe.

Get this, Wake Forest has a shot at the Orange Bowl. They trounced NC St 44-10 yesterday behind a good QB no one has heard of in Jamie Newman. They have to beat Va Tech, Duke and Syracuse to go 10-2. They are not coming close to Clemson, but if the Tigers run the table (and they will) Wake could get the ACC's bid for a New Year's Day 6 Bowl.

Not much else to talk about, but the Committee's first ranking comes out on Tuesday. And TT, I get your views on the ills of CFB, but it is too big of a money machine to change. No one is giving that up for a minor league, just not happening. 

thistlintom posted:

The players get a free ride to school with academic counseling available, and also get a stipend for travel and miscellaneous expenses.  Michigan provides about $2,500 per semester and SEC schools provide about $5,000 per semester.  (The rationale for SEC players getting that much more is questionable, but that is another subject). 

Kudos to the SEC for not being cheapskates like Ann Arbor.

greendrazi posted:
thistlintom posted:

The players get a free ride to school with academic counseling available, and also get a stipend for travel and miscellaneous expenses.  Michigan provides about $2,500 per semester and SEC schools provide about $5,000 per semester.  (The rationale for SEC players getting that much more is questionable, but that is another subject). 

Kudos to the SEC for not being cheapskates like Ann Arbor.

No, its about following the rules rather than abusing them.  I guess its being a cheapskate when you honor a scholarship even though a player becomes medically ineligible to play, right?

jburman82 posted:

Tom, everyone does that now. They can transfer the scholarship to something else so it doesn't count against your 85. FSU has done it twice the last 5 years. Fairly common now but it engenders good will for the program.

Have they done that with a high school player that hasn't attended the university yet?

thistlintom posted:
jburman82 posted:

Tom, everyone does that now. They can transfer the scholarship to something else so it doesn't count against your 85. FSU has done it twice the last 5 years. Fairly common now but it engenders good will for the program.

Have they done that with a high school player that hasn't attended the university yet?

Shon Coleman

Your pathetic attempts at moral superiority underscore your need to absolve an underperforming team.

jburman82 posted:

Bye Wllie. I really like you and wanted you to win. 

So did I.  The hire turned out to be a $30M mistake, $2.5M for each game he coached. Ironic that Oregon thrived after he left, and FSU descended further. Will be interesting to see who they target. Stoops name has come up (Bob, not Mark at KY and former DC).

Oh man, they fired my favorite coach.

Fleck and Clawson both scare me. This is from a prominent Wake booster. Clawson has a special needs child and he is very happy with the education situation the child is in. This is a similar situation to Washington coach Chris Peterson, which explains why Peterson has stayed in the Pac NW. IMO, Clawson is a better fit at a smaller academic school (don't take this the wrong way you know what I mean) rather than a large state university.  

I know Stoops is a popular name to banter around but it's not like he got fired or forced out. He straight retired. Does anyone know if he even wants to get back into coaching?

I didn't know that about Clawson's kid. Could make him a tough pull. 

SC, now you know how I felt when you guys fired shark humper

Man, I thought UF made some financial blunders with Muschump and Mac...but damn, FSU is really gonna hurt on this one.  Don't have the same financial resources and that $20M they just raised to make it happen could have built something nice.  I'm sure Mark Stoops would jump at the opportunity....and he has probably reached his ceiling at KY.  I don't see his brother wanting to come in and turn a program around, but for Mark, who at least as ties to FSU, it would be his best job yet.

Add Reply

Likes (0)