Skip to main content

greendrazi posted:

Amazing though that Clemson, AU and others were able to steal the majority of the top prospects from the state of Georgia instead of Kirby getting them. And yet, UGA still had a Top 5 class.

Even more amazing is that South Carolina got commitment from 5 of the top 6 recruits in the state of South Carolina according to 247 rankings (TN getting the other), yet Clemson still gets the #1 class.  Their top in state recruit was #12.

Playoff Games Thoughts

LSU and Joe Burrow could be both a team on a mission and a team of destiny. They were merely toying with Oklahoma. Burrow would come to the LOS, identify the matchup he wanted and deliver the ball to that player. Pitch and catch, simple as that.

The LSU coaches said that OU was the fifth best team they played (after yesterday that was kind) behind Bama, Auburn, Georgia and Florida. That turned out to be correct. Everyone wants to spread out the playoff to conference champions, but the top 7 teams are Clemson, Ohio St and the top 5 from the SEC. If there was an eight team playoff I would give the final slot to either Penn St, Wisconsin or Oregon. However, everyone would be howling the unfairness of that.

OU is 0-4 in the playoff and has only been competitive in one game. I am mystified that a program with that tradition and support cannot field a defense, particularly when Texas has struggled knowing that OU filled its roster with Texas prospects in their heyday. Lincoln Riley may see that this could be his ceiling in Norman and head to the NFL. The Cowboys may not be the answer but another destination may be. We will see how patient Riley is given he is making $6 million annually now.

Ohio State both gave that game away or got robbed, maybe both. The targeting call (50/50 to me) and roughing the punter were like turnovers, and we all know turnovers lose games. Just as in baseball, when you make an error a good team will always score. As for robbery, that was a catch, fumble and TD return no question. Clemson is just too good to give extra chances.

That was a very physical game in which Clemson was surprised and took some time to adjust. The Tigers look beat up and should be thankful that they have two weeks until the next game. Ryan Day had a good offensive plan and had Clemson DC Brent Venables confused, but Venables made the adjustments in the 2nd half. As for Day, is he the next Meyer (without the baggage) or the next Larry Coker (winning big with great talent but unable to keep it going long term)?

Finally, despite Clemson getting the breaks, they were good enough to take advantage of them. They held OSU to FGs in the 1st half to overcome being down 16 points. Then with the game on the line, Trevor Lawrence takes them 94 yards in four plays. The defense then makes a stand to stop OSU. When you do that you have earned the win. Who knew Trevor Lawrence could run and Travis Etienne was a receiver.

I cannot wait for the Title Game.

scbeerman posted:

Playoff Games Thoughts

LSU and Joe Burrow could be both a team on a mission and a team of destiny. They were merely toying with Oklahoma. Burrow would come to the LOS, identify the matchup he wanted and deliver the ball to that player. Pitch and catch, simple as that.

The LSU coaches said that OU was the fifth best team they played (after yesterday that was kind) behind Bama, Auburn, Georgia and Florida. That turned out to be correct. Everyone wants to spread out the playoff to conference champions, but the top 7 teams are Clemson, Ohio St and the top 5 from the SEC. If there was an eight team playoff I would give the final slot to either Penn St, Wisconsin or Oregon. However, everyone would be howling the unfairness of that.

OU is 0-4 in the playoff and has only been competitive in one game. I am mystified that a program with that tradition and support cannot field a defense, particularly when Texas has struggled knowing that OU filled its roster with Texas prospects in their heyday. Lincoln Riley may see that this could be his ceiling in Norman and head to the NFL. The Cowboys may not be the answer but another destination may be. We will see how patient Riley is given he is making $6 million annually now.

Ohio State both gave that game away or got robbed, maybe both. The targeting call (50/50 to me) and roughing the punter were like turnovers, and we all know turnovers lose games. Just as in baseball, when you make an error a good team will always score. As for robbery, that was a catch, fumble and TD return no question. Clemson is just too good to give extra chances.

That was a very physical game in which Clemson was surprised and took some time to adjust. The Tigers look beat up and should be thankful that they have two weeks until the next game. Ryan Day had a good offensive plan and had Clemson DC Brent Venables confused, but Venables made the adjustments in the 2nd half. As for Day, is he the next Meyer (without the baggage) or the next Larry Coker (winning big with great talent but unable to keep it going long term)?

Finally, despite Clemson getting the breaks, they were good enough to take advantage of them. They held OSU to FGs in the 1st half to overcome being down 16 points. Then with the game on the line, Trevor Lawrence takes them 94 yards in four plays. The defense then makes a stand to stop OSU. When you do that you have earned the win. Who knew Trevor Lawrence could run and Travis Etienne was a receiver.

Excellent post as usual. 

I don’t think Lincoln has any interest in the NFL at this time.

One final thought - if one of the SEC upper tier teams loses their bowl game, I do not want to hear how they were not as good as I said. The non-playoff bowl games are now merely exhibitions and should be treated as such. Some teams do not want to be there. Starting with a few years ago, many of  the best players on these teams are now skipping the bowl game. These games have ceased to be an accurate barometer of who is best.

scbeerman posted:

One final thought - if one of the SEC upper tier teams loses their bowl game, I do not want to hear how they were not as good as I said. The non-playoff bowl games are now merely exhibitions and should be treated as such. Some teams do not want to be there. Starting with a few years ago, many of  the best players on these teams are now skipping the bowl game. These games have ceased to be an accurate barometer of who is best.

Agree. It is one of the unintended consequences of the playoff system. It has made the other bowl games meaningless overall, star players sit out , abysmal attendance in most cases and waning interest throughout. 

Just one of the reasons the playoff format needs to expand. 

scbeerman posted:

Playoff Games Thoughts

Excellent post, and really agree with all of the points made re: the Ohio State game

*The targeting call was 50/50.  I guess by the letter of the law, their helmets hit, so that's targeting.  But when the defender is in the tackling position and the ball carrier ducks down to brace for impact in the last second, how does the defender avoid the impact?  I think there needs to be a better system, one is a 15 yard penalty, the other is ejection, based on the severity and intention. 

*The overturned fumble recover / TD was ridiculous.  There was NO definitive evidence to overturn the ruling on the field.  

*The call to go for the punt block was too aggressive, as they would have had the ball at midfield.  

*Day put together a great game plan and outcoached the Clemson staff.  I wish he would've stuck with the up tempo offense a bit more.  He's a great recruiter also, I think OSU is in great hands for the future.

*All that being said, if Ohio State defense stops the final drive, they win.  If the receiver runs the right route at the end, they get a TD and win.  As a Buckeye fan that overturned fumble TD hurts, but they put themselves in position to win the game and didn't do it. 

Great season, next year looks like they're playoff bound again.  

Also, I have a new found distaste for Dabo, I hope they get worked by LSU in the championship. 

I'm watching the NC pregame on one of ESPN's streaming channels that is much more fun than the main one, and they have Gary Vaynerchuk on to give his analysis.  WTF, a guy who made his name in quirky wine tastings for his family's NJ wine store, then became a motivational speaker, and now is a pseudo football analyst?  

jburman82 posted:

So glad Clemson lost. I've never bought into the root for your conference crap. I thought the game was actually going well for them until LSU figured out Terrell couldn't cover Chase.

Clemson is the #1 or #2 college football team without debate the last several years, and with their QB coming back plus an incredible incoming class they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. 

There were 3 superior teams this season and a handful of very good teams. I’m already excited about next season! 

wineart 2 posted:
jburman82 posted:

So glad Clemson lost. I've never bought into the root for your conference crap. I thought the game was actually going well for them until LSU figured out Terrell couldn't cover Chase.

Clemson is the #1 or #2 college football team without debate the last several years, and with their QB coming back plus an incredible incoming class they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. 

There were 3 superior teams this season and a handful of very good teams. I’m already excited about next season! 

Clemson will definitely be back next year and in the coming years if this new 5*QB is the real deal after sitting a year behind Trevor.

With Brady leaving to the Panthers, I fear this was a one year wonder for LSU.

pinotlvr posted:
greendrazi posted:

What a great game and season for future Bengal QB Joe Burrow.

Having to play in Cincy would be a nightmare of most people (i.e. having to live in OH) but since he's from OH, he'll feel right at home.

Though based upon how many Ohioans I run into down here, they don't even like it there LOL

He could live in Kentucky I suppose

Just got back from travel and realized that I had not commented on the Title Game.

LSU just completed maybe the best season in CFB history in terms of who they beat. While if they are the best team ever remains a debate, this was the beast season ever. Joe Burrow had one of the best seasons that a player ever had as well. Good for Coach O.

As for Clemson, they will be just fine. Their run reminds me of the Miami teams (although not the controversy) of 84-95 and FSU's 15 year run. The key to always getting to the playoff is a weaker conference. Conventional wisdom was for Trevor Lawrence to sit out next year and wait for the 2021 NFL draft. However, as great as he is, LSU's defense exposed him a bit and he needs next year for more playing experience.

The SEC has won 10 of the last 14 titles (4 different schools) and five runner ups as well. They have only missed the 2014 Title game. Jump on them as you will, and many did when there was a slight dip, it is the SEC and everyone else save Clemson and Ohio St.  

scbeerman posted:

The SEC has won 10 of the last 14 titles (4 different schools) and five runner ups as well. They have only missed the 2014 Title game. Jump on them as you will, and many did when there was a slight dip, it is the SEC and everyone else save Clemson and Ohio St.  

...and that's not going to change anytime soon either.  The SEC, Clemson and OSU dominate the recruiting rankings too

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.