IMO a minor league system for football will not work. Let's see, you have empty stadiums and bus rides for the players in the minors as compared to the players being treated like royalty at present. A few may not be fit for school, but most are and CFB has never been more popular.

About time these kids got theirs. Other kids on scholarships can go earn money. They should too

Ad a side note, screw Senator Burr. This douche bag wants to introduce legislation that makes their scholarships taxable. Better do that to all the other type of schalorships too. Asshat.

The players get a free ride to school with academic counseling available, and also get a stipend for travel and miscellaneous expenses.  Michigan provides about $2,500 per semester and SEC schools provide about $5,000 per semester.  (The rationale for SEC players getting that much more is questionable, but that is another subject).   How many people would love to have that opportunity,which is worth at least $200,000? 

If you think there is cheating going on now, just wait until players can get paid.  Would boosters be able to pay players for their "images" and such?  Could Nike pay more to players who go to Oregon?  How do you police any of this?  If players want to be paid, let them go straight to the NFL or have a minor league.  There are a lot more than a few players that are not fit for school.  Look at what studies these kids are taking and their graduation rate, it is a farce at many schools.

Weekend Summary

The top 5 had the week off, well Clemson played Wofford so that counts as a week off. That left the Jax Cocktail Party as the focal game. The bottom line is Georgia is better. They have 59 blue chip players, maybe as many five stars as some NFL teams, to Florida's 39. The galling thing is that this was still a winnable game for the Gators, but "3rd and Grantham" struck again. DC Todd Grantham's soft zone scheme has a way of allowing good offenses to convert third downs. Dawg QB Jake Fromm was hardly touched all day behind his massive OL and had time to play pitch and catch on 3rd downs (12-18). Kirby Smart actually outcoached Dan Mullen as Georgia exploited every Gator weakness. The fact that they only won by 24-17 is a credit to the Gator players who did not quit.

We lost two unbeatens this week, App St and SMU. Baylor barely won and will lose soon. Oregon won impressively against USC and is sneaking into the playoff picture. If they play a one loss Utah team in the Pac 12 game, that league might actually get in, maybe.

Get this, Wake Forest has a shot at the Orange Bowl. They trounced NC St 44-10 yesterday behind a good QB no one has heard of in Jamie Newman. They have to beat Va Tech, Duke and Syracuse to go 10-2. They are not coming close to Clemson, but if the Tigers run the table (and they will) Wake could get the ACC's bid for a New Year's Day 6 Bowl.

Not much else to talk about, but the Committee's first ranking comes out on Tuesday. And TT, I get your views on the ills of CFB, but it is too big of a money machine to change. No one is giving that up for a minor league, just not happening. 

thistlintom posted:

The players get a free ride to school with academic counseling available, and also get a stipend for travel and miscellaneous expenses.  Michigan provides about $2,500 per semester and SEC schools provide about $5,000 per semester.  (The rationale for SEC players getting that much more is questionable, but that is another subject). 

Kudos to the SEC for not being cheapskates like Ann Arbor.

greendrazi posted:
thistlintom posted:

The players get a free ride to school with academic counseling available, and also get a stipend for travel and miscellaneous expenses.  Michigan provides about $2,500 per semester and SEC schools provide about $5,000 per semester.  (The rationale for SEC players getting that much more is questionable, but that is another subject). 

Kudos to the SEC for not being cheapskates like Ann Arbor.

No, its about following the rules rather than abusing them.  I guess its being a cheapskate when you honor a scholarship even though a player becomes medically ineligible to play, right?

jburman82 posted:

Tom, everyone does that now. They can transfer the scholarship to something else so it doesn't count against your 85. FSU has done it twice the last 5 years. Fairly common now but it engenders good will for the program.

Have they done that with a high school player that hasn't attended the university yet?

thistlintom posted:
jburman82 posted:

Tom, everyone does that now. They can transfer the scholarship to something else so it doesn't count against your 85. FSU has done it twice the last 5 years. Fairly common now but it engenders good will for the program.

Have they done that with a high school player that hasn't attended the university yet?

Shon Coleman

Your pathetic attempts at moral superiority underscore your need to absolve an underperforming team.

jburman82 posted:

Bye Wllie. I really like you and wanted you to win. 

So did I.  The hire turned out to be a $30M mistake, $2.5M for each game he coached. Ironic that Oregon thrived after he left, and FSU descended further. Will be interesting to see who they target. Stoops name has come up (Bob, not Mark at KY and former DC).

Oh man, they fired my favorite coach.

Fleck and Clawson both scare me. This is from a prominent Wake booster. Clawson has a special needs child and he is very happy with the education situation the child is in. This is a similar situation to Washington coach Chris Peterson, which explains why Peterson has stayed in the Pac NW. IMO, Clawson is a better fit at a smaller academic school (don't take this the wrong way you know what I mean) rather than a large state university.  

I know Stoops is a popular name to banter around but it's not like he got fired or forced out. He straight retired. Does anyone know if he even wants to get back into coaching?

I didn't know that about Clawson's kid. Could make him a tough pull. 

SC, now you know how I felt when you guys fired shark humper

Man, I thought UF made some financial blunders with Muschump and Mac...but damn, FSU is really gonna hurt on this one.  Don't have the same financial resources and that $20M they just raised to make it happen could have built something nice.  I'm sure Mark Stoops would jump at the opportunity....and he has probably reached his ceiling at KY.  I don't see his brother wanting to come in and turn a program around, but for Mark, who at least as ties to FSU, it would be his best job yet.

Yeah it's no fun to have a bad coach. Actually felt that way about Muschamp too. The Gamecock fans are saying the exact same things about him now.

I think Fleck may wait on Michigan or Penn State (Franklin may opt to USC West). The one school to watch out for on Clawson is Notre Dame when they tire of Kelly.

winedrmike posted:

Got to believe that Oregon is going to be the next football powerhouse.  Now that the path was cleared for athletes to profit off of their likeness, you would think that every 5 star in the nation is going to line up for some of that Nike money.

I don't think that's what the NCAA is going to allow.  Recall that the profiting off NIL, has to be aligned with the collegiate model or something like that, i.e. the NCAA is still going to ensure that it gets the lion's share of the money from the Nikes and Under Armors.

How does a very unsuccessful coach, who coaches 21 games walk away with $18 million for a state university? Florida State had no choice to fire Willie Taggert now.

Colleges are having problems paying their professors and the football coach is fired and get rich.  He gets close to $900 grand a game.

Coaches should be hired with a performance expectation clause in their contract.  If you don’t meet the agreed-on expectations, you are dismissed with no further compensation.

The person who gave Taggert this deal should have been the one fired. 

jburman82 posted:

FLwino, that's the cost of doing business now. Coaches are have all the leverage. Every contract reads the same way. They get paid no matter what.

Especially since they pried him away from Oregon, which is a pretty good gig.  Lacks the in-state talent of Florida but has great financial backing and facilities.

FLwino, also understand, at least its not the taxpayers putting up the money.  Only a small piece of his compensation was on the state payroll.  

flwino posted:

Coaches should be hired with a performance expectation clause in their contract.  If you don’t meet the agreed-on expectations, you are dismissed with no further compensation.

You're crazy if you think any "name" coach, which is what FSU wants and the alumni expect, would take that gig with such a clause in their contract. 

jburman82 posted:

I think the Young story is ridiculous but I love how it's being sold as a "family friend" but he met him the summer before his freshman year in college. Hahahahahahahahahaha

Should forfeit every win he played in...but the NCAA is totally in OSU’s back pocket otherwise Fields would be sitting out this year so, he’ll probably be back playing when they really “need” him.

Weekend Summary

Family wedding, I know there should be a law, but I still managed to keep up. There were easily 30 people in the bar portion of the clubhouse watching the end of Bama/LSU including almost every male in my family (it's just what we do).

There were two almost mortal locks this week, and I do not bet, but these were as close to sure things as exist. The first was LSU covering as Bama was favored only due to their recent dominance in the series and not their performance this year. This game indeed lived up to its billing as a high scoring affair. Alabama has recently imploded in big games, making errors uncharacteristic of a Saban team. LSU capitalized just enough for the win, and Joe Burrow may have had his Heisman moment on his final two drives. Barring a major upset, LSU can afford a loss in the SEC Title Game and still make the playoff. They are the first team since the 70s to notch four top ten wins in their first nine games. Coach O unleased a fiery F bomb to his team in the locker room but I will go with his classic "Geaux Tigahs".

The second lock was Clemson covering the spread this week, and hereon unless the oddsmakers adjust. These Tigers know they have little margin for error, and Dabo was given a gift with the initial ranking of 5 last week. I know he started that underdog rant (ROY bus and all), so his team will be on fire. Besides, that is their modus of past seasons.

We have a new catch phrase in CFB, courtesy of PJ Fleck, in "row the boat". Fleck looks to be the next super coach and has Minnesota, yes I said Minnesota, firmly in the playoff picture as they held off Penn St late. I looked at their history, and the Gophers were great in the leather  helmet era, but nothing since 1960 (where they are credited with a natty despite two losses). We will see if they can handle success and beat the Buckeyes.

Ohio State rolled Maryland for 73 points despite no Chase Young. Georgia easily beat Missouri. Both OU and Baylor survived setting up maybe the first of two games between the two.

Everyone pretty much has LSU, Ohio St and Clemson as their top 3. The next level is Georgia, Bama, Oregon or Utah, and OU or Baylor. Lots of football left.

One final note to file away. I went to the Coastal Carolina game last Thursday. They were smoked by the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns, whose coach is Billy Napier. This team is likely to go 10-2 and play App St for the Sun Belt. Napier has four years with Dabo and four years with Saban. I was very impressed watching his team. If you are looking for the next coach in the SEC, Napier may be it.

I'm stunned by Minn. They barely scraped by 3 FCS teams to start the season then played the 5 worst Big 10 teams who all had to play 2nd or 3rd string QBs due to injury. I thought they were a fraud. 

This Bob Stoops to FSU stuff has me scratching my head. I dont get why he comes out of retirement. I dont get why he comes here when our Pres and AD are out within the next 18-24 months. But, credible people are saying it's a done deal and not one other name has leaked out all week. Call me hopeful but skeptical I guess.

Add Reply

Likes (0)