quote:
Originally posted by bhauk:
Ohio State's coach made an ass of himself in his post-game interview. What a clown! Let's hope Gonzaga wipes the floor with them like they did earlier in the season.

I must've missed that part of the interview. I did hear him say that he appreciated all of the doubters because it gave his team fuel.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Loyola of Chicago?
Huh?

Was probably the most picked upset - this was not much of a surprise

I see that President Obama picked Loyola. (He also picked Arizona to go to the final 4)
Yes, Arizona is gone and Gonzaga barely made it. The Pac 12 is pathetic this year. Not only did they miss getting a team in the CFB Playoff, I think they only won one bowl game and now they exit the entire hoops tourney on day one.

Many teams broke droughts with wins yesterday including Loyola (had that one), Houston and Alabama (sure there are a few others). Davidson did fine but Kentucky has too many athletes. The Gators got going late to win nicely.
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Yes, Arizona is gone and Gonzaga barely made it. The Pac 12 is pathetic this year. Not only did they miss getting a team in the CFB Playoff, I think they only won one bowl game and now they exit the entire hoops tourney on day one.

Many teams broke droughts with wins yesterday including Loyola (had that one), Houston and Alabama (sure there are a few others). Davidson did fine but Kentucky has too many athletes. The Gators got going late to win nicely.

I thought Davidson hanging tough with Kentucky was pretty impressive
quote:
The UMBC team (University of Maryland, Baltimore County) made the dance, and play Virginia in the opening round. Don't expect an upset here.

UMBC has a total enrollment of about 11,000 undergrads. The freshman class this past year is over 50% minority.
Typically, the UMBC chess team wins national championships, the swimming and diving team does as well. UMBC is the nation’s #1 producer of African American undergraduates who go on to complete MD/PhDs.
The faculty has won lots of awards and grants.

They can't possibly beat Virginia though.

Good morning, Irwin.
Smile
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
The UMBC team (University of Maryland, Baltimore County) made the dance, and play Virginia in the opening round. Don't expect an upset here.

UMBC has a total enrollment of about 11,000 undergrads. The freshman class this past year is over 50% minority.
Typically, the UMBC chess team wins national championships, the swimming and diving team does as well. UMBC is the nation’s #1 producer of African American undergraduates who go on to complete MD/PhDs.
The faculty has won lots of awards and grants.

They can't possibly beat Virginia though.

Good morning, Irwin.
Smile

Yeah, I nailed that one! Tied at the half, and then blew out Virginia in the 2nd half by 20.
74 points is the most Virginia gave up all year. 2 months ago, UMBC lost a game to Albany by 44 points.
Golly.
I may have not gotten the teams correct (although I am 61% in my brackets to date), but I got the overall gist of the tourney right. I told you guys that I did not trust Virginia. The lack of elite athletes will bite you in a playoff setting. However, no one expected them to become the first 1 to lose to a 16, and it was not even close. Tony Bennett better change his system fast because someone will score more than 60 points on you when it counts.

Brief summary of seeds remaining - 1-3, 2-4, 3-4 and 4-2, so only three top 16 seeds are out. 5-4 (no 12 seeds won unusual), 6-2, 7-3, 8-1, 9-3, 10-1, 11-2, 13-2 of course 16-1.

The conferences are too diverse to count, but I think that the ACC and SEC each have 6 teams still left.

On a personal note, I know two of the coaches involved in yesterday's upset. Dan D'Antoni of Marshall coached locally at Socastee HS for 30 years (yes, Hunter Renfrow's school). Coach D then went to the NBA and was an assistant to brother Mike for a few years before taking the job at his alma mater Marshall. I am so happy for him. I did not know where Ryan Odom had landed, but I immediately recognized him on the sideline last night. About 15 years ago he sat in the stands with me at the annual Beach Ball Classic when he was an assistant recruiting. I met him briefly a few years later and he remembered the night. His dad coached at Wake, and maybe Ryan will follow him.

Add Reply

Likes (0)