Classics Jan/Feb 2019

sunnylea57 posted:
stevey posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

$250 for l'Apparita? 

I was at Castello di Ama and they were selling the 2014 L'Apparita for €185 at the cellar door.  This translates to CDN$280, so LCBO price is not unreasonable.

$129 USD from Wine Cellarage in NY.

Wine Cellarage doesn't have inventory and $129 is a futures price requiring minimum order of 6 bottles, so not exactly the same thing.  Nevertheless, I have no doubt that some US retailers will sell for less but merely pointing out that in this case LCBO is selling cheaper than if you were to get the same wine directly from source.

The current price for ex voto is $69 for the 2013, so it is not an incorrect price for the 2014 and represents a price increase.  I would agree with Steve in that it's probably a negotiant label ( just bought Chave Selection at that price), however any search I do for this online comes back at 2x and up, so maybe...?

Upon further digging in the LCBO api product database, these are the cspcs for ex voto (not all will come up in a search of the LCBO site).  I was looking only for the one they had in the pdf.

id

name

pricereleased_on
393363E. Guigal Ex Voto Ermitage 2013510.0012/7/2017
54148E. Guigal Ex-Voto Ermitage Blanc 2013305.003/1/2018
181859E. Guigal Ex-Voto Ermitage Blanc 2007125.25 
54130E. Guigal Ex-Voto Ermitage 2006231.25 
125567E. Guigal Ex Voto Hermitage Blanc 201369.003/16/2017

That $69 price sticks out like a sore thumb.  It says it was released on March 16th which wasn't a Classics or bimonthly Vintages release date.  Maybe it was  a special Guigal offering... whatever it was, there's a duplicate of it in cspc 54148, so I think whoever was compiling the Feb 2019 list picked the wrong cspc number and we'll see it ultimately offered for $305+ price increase, so probably in the $320-$350 range.  Here's the snapshot from the March 2018 Classics for the 2013:

If it rolls through on release date without a price correction, I think we all know what to do...

Attachments

Photos (1)

The label shows this wine as “Ermitage Ex Voto”.  It’s still the Hermitage appellation. Producers are able to choose whether to use the ‘H’. Philippe Guigal explained “there is no rule regarding the use of an “H” or not in Hermitage but it is generally admitted that if the producer vinifies two Hermitages, his normal cuvée will come with the H (the classical way) and his tête de cuvée [top wine of that appellation] will come without the H (the historical way) but once again there is no real rule about it.”

You're welcome.

stevey posted:
sunnylea57 posted:
stevey posted:
sunnylea57 posted:

$250 for l'Apparita? 

I was at Castello di Ama and they were selling the 2014 L'Apparita for €185 at the cellar door.  This translates to CDN$280, so LCBO price is not unreasonable.

$129 USD from Wine Cellarage in NY.

Wine Cellarage doesn't have inventory and $129 is a futures price requiring minimum order of 6 bottles, so not exactly the same thing.  Nevertheless, I have no doubt that some US retailers will sell for less but merely pointing out that in this case LCBO is selling cheaper than if you were to get the same wine directly from source.

We also visited Castello di Ama 2 weeks ago and Lorenza did not charge us for any of the wines we drank.  I guess we should be appreciative.  But I saw 2015 L'Apparita at Bruno Dalmazio's enoteca in Montalcino priced at 155 Euros, and the two Chianti crus were priced at 160 Euros..  The small price difference reflects volumes bottled.  Whatever price you use, it seems that the $250 Classics price is not horribly out of line with home-market pricing.

In any case, I did not think the 2015's were worth the price.  You'd do much better sourcing older vintages in the US.  And if you want the 2015, then wait for the launch blitz to subside and see what promotions you find because there was quite a large number of bottles produced.

I tasted L'Apparita years ago with the producer and Vinaigre(mtl formumite) when she came to Montréal. I believe it was the 2004 vintage. The wine was nice and elegant but not at all worth the 149$ price tag they were selling it for back then.

mimik posted:

I tasted L'Apparita years ago with the producer and Vinaigre(mtl formumite) when she came to Montréal. I believe it was the 2004 vintage. The wine was nice and elegant but not at all worth the 149$ price tag they were selling it for back then.

My merlot-of-choice is Ricolma.  It is less elegant and more powerful compared to L'Apparita but, at roughly 50 Euros, it is better value.  And when I want a merlot with elegance, I reach for Piantonaia. 

otw posted:
mimik posted:

My merlot-of-choice is Ricolma.  It is less elegant and more powerful compared to L'Apparita but, at roughly 50 Euros, it is better value.  And when I want a merlot with elegance, I reach for Piantonaia. 

This ^^   👍🏼👍🏼

I have 24 bottles of various vintages of Ricolma and I'm always on the lookout for more. A taut and structured Merlot. The 2006 is drinking beautifully right now with a 1-2 hour decant.

mimik posted:

Absolutely, and not just the 2004 but the 2014 as well.  There's so much good wine in Tuscany that we did not find the Castello di Ama wines were worth the price of admission.  You're paying for the brand name for what it's worth and from a QPR perspective, it fell short.

sunnylea57 posted:
otw posted:
mimik posted:

This ^^   👍🏼👍🏼

I have 24 bottles of various vintages of Ricolma and I'm always on the lookout for more. A taut and structured Merlot. The 2006 is drinking beautifully right now with a 1-2 hour decant.

Add Reply

Likes (0)