Clarification on "Foxy"

Hi all:

Our little wine company took over a line of locally-made wines; some made with Cynthiana/Norton.

I was inclined to call these wines foxy in nature, but maybe that's just me labeling anything native to America with that term.

I'm having a little bit of a tough time coming up with clearly understood descriptors for the term "foxy" to make sure what I'm tasting is indeed "foxy". After pondering the wines, I was beginning to think they may be a little off. Basically I'm doubting my understanding of "foxy".

A little help for me if you can spare it?
Original Post
Methyl anthranilate - Musk, gardenia, jasmine, wisteria or at it's worst rotting flesh. Sweet to the point of being sickly or rotting sweet.

For most of your customers Grape Kool Aid, grape soda and grape bubble gum would be the closest discriptor they would be familiar with. Someone who farms rice or corn would also likely recognize the smell as bird repellent.

All in all an 'aquired' taste.
Well... Now I'm a bit confused again.

I don't consider Welch's grape juice to have notes of fox piss or rotting flesh-- but I do understand ripeness to the point of cloying sweetness and near rot, yes? I think of super-ripe mangos in this way. Sometimes they can get so ripe they are downright arm-pittish, but I have never had the same reaction with grapes or grape juice as of yet.
Ummm, probably not in a Brunello.

I've only had a couple of Cynthiana/Norton wines, and they did not strike me as being overly foxy, either.

The true epitome of foxy comes in wines from Ohio, Pennsylvania, South West NY, along Lake Erie, and down along the Ohio River valley, where they actually try to make varietal wine from Concord, Delaware, and other Vitis labrusco grapes. You would get a similar result, I think, if you fermented Welch's grape juice. It has nothing to do with ripeness or sweetness, it's just the character of the grape. Here in Michigan, most wineries have quit making pure native grape wines, although there are a few hybrid V. labrusco/V. vinifera grapes that are used to make wines, and which often have more than a hint of foxiness. There are red grapes that grow wild around here pretty much everywhere, that carry the "foxy" flavors. I know a bunch of local yokels that grow grapes behind their barn and make it into "wine", and of course ask me to try it. Sometimes, it's OK for drinking from a Red Solo Cup and getting smashed, but there's nothing "fine" about it.

Add Reply

Likes (0)