So me and a few of my minor league football cronies were sitting arond the water cooler (O.K....keg) and taking about the best Vintage Port to serve with Cigars. While they said the '77 Fonseca I feel the value is with the '85 Dow's. Any thoughts?

P.S. Jon Bon Jovi is quite da character and one heck of a guy...but dis is da Rush's year.
Original Post
Please, not with VINTAGE PORT.

Sucking thick tobacco smoke while sipping a 1977 Fonseca (one of the greatest ports ever) would be such a mistake. Nothing should get in the way of such an incredible wine. I don't even like to eat anything with such a gem.

My advice: Drink the port, THEN have a cigar with a good scotch or brandy afterwards.
Cigar smoking is not compatible with wine consumption. 90% or more of a wine's sensory impression is in the nose. Cigar smoke distorts/overshadows any nuances a wine may have. Enjoy your beautiful vintage port, then go outside, enjoy your cigars with friends and good conversation.
Grunhauser,

What the hell are you talking about? Cigars look cool and chicks dig them. Duh! Razz Wink

Seriously, I smoke the rare cigar but only on the golf course. Cigarette smoking does not affect the taste of wine but cigar smoke will kill most wines. Even when big VP are consumed, I would stay away from the cigars.
What the others said. Smoking a cigar while drinking port would be like decanting port through a used diaper.

Re your port question, many if not most of the 85 suffer from volatile acidity according to the consensus on these forums, exceptions being Fonseca and possibly Kopke (I think).

While 85s are clearly much cheaper than 77s, the latter are much better as a vintage, though individual 85s (the above-mentioned Fonseca) should surpass the lesser 77s.
Mike,
Although the rest of the folks on here are dismayes at your ideals, let me say that I had a wonderful cigar with a vintage port (although it was a mediocre 1997 Barros VP, at best) this very evening. Don't let anyone ruin your time to reflect on life. That being said, dont' go too expensive on the port, either.
Nothing wrong with combining a cigar with port, if you enjoy that. But, it does take a lot of the taste of the port away, so it would be a waste of money (and port) to to buy something really special like Fonseca 77.

A nice LBV, 10 YOT or Colheita would probably be a better choice.
On the rare occasion when I indulge in a cigar with Port, I enjoy the Port plenty first, then let the Port enhance the cigar experience & don't worry about muddling my palate (& usually at that point I'm more worried about after-effects of both. Roll Eyes.) One of Tyee's cubans & my '63 Dow's... Wink Big Grin
A good cigar is definitely a great pleasure, so who cares about the image. Do any of you imagine people think you look particularly cool when you swirl your over-sized riedel stem and make little sniffs, after which we state something incomprehensible about 'bouquet' and 'lilies', or worse 'VA' and 'Brett'? Comeon - forget IMAGE, we just don't project a cool image doing that. Smile

But as earlier posters have said, the combination doesn't really enhance the characters of either cigar or port. Also, cigars vary a lot in intensity and flavor, so the chosen drink can vary as much as the cigar. IMO, try VSOP Cognacs, good Brandy de Jerez, single malts with some body, or a suitably fruity Calvados.
quote:
Originally posted by Baird:
Cigarette smoking does not affect the taste of wine but cigar smoke will kill most wines.

Cigarette smoking might not affect the taste of wine to the smoker, because their sensory capabilities are already dead; however, to the second-hand smoker cigarette smoke kills the aroma, the taste, the mood, the ambience, and the occasion. There's nothing worse than smelling cigarette smoke, while drinking wine or not.
With regards to the above quote, I find it very hard to believe cigarette smoking does not affect the flavor sensation of wine, although I don't smoke cigarettes myself. People who smoke very regularly may, perhaps, leave a taste residue of the tobacco in their mouth that they become oblivious too, thus re-calibrating their palate...?

However, I think the appropriateness of where and when to smoke is not at issue here. Any smoker should respect the people in his ambience enough to ask for permission before ligthting a cigarette, cigar or pipe.
quote:
On the rare occasion when I indulge in a cigar with Port, I enjoy the Port plenty first, then let the Port enhance the cigar experience & don't worry about muddling my palate (& usually at that point I'm more worried about after-effects of both. .)

OK, Blobby has hit the nail on the head here.
Enjoy the VP first...then let it enhance the cigar.

Blobby is also right when he quips about being more worried about the after-math.
I do love VPort...but I drink way more of it when enhancing a cigar! Razz

Ronnie,
Remember Victoria?...cuban cigars and Canadian IceWine...now that was an interesting combo! Cool

Add Reply

Likes (0)