Cigar smokers?

quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
Not huge into cigars (just yet), but I've found myself with 4x Partagas Havana Serie D No. 5.

Is this a solid cigar? I've got the means to store them properly until the December holidays, and may share with some moderate experts if they'll impress.

Thanks!

My understanding is this is a shorter version of the excellend Serie D #4. If it's similar in quality you've got some good cigars on you hands. Perfect size for a newbie too.

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
Not huge into cigars (just yet), but I've found myself with 4x Partagas Havana Serie D No. 5.

Is this a solid cigar? I've got the means to store them properly until the December holidays, and may share with some moderate experts if they'll impress.

Thanks!

My understanding is this is a shorter version of the excellend Serie D #4. If it's similar in quality you've got some good cigars on you hands. Perfect size for a newbie too.

PH

Thanks PH!
Are we talking the 08' LE? Or just the new release #5? Have had both on several occasions...the 08' is pretty solid but if I was to choose something in that size I would go with the Short Bolivar...similar price and just a better all around stick IMO. The #5 is not worth the tariff IMO....solid cigar but for the price Id buy a box of the #4 instead. Its the 2nd best stick Partagas makes IMO.

And in regards to ordering from "sources"....this is not the best of times Wink
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Are we talking the 08' LE? Or just the new release #5? Have had both on several occasions...the 08' is pretty solid but if I was to choose something in that size I would go with the Short Bolivar...similar price and just a better all around stick IMO. The #5 is not worth the tariff IMO....solid cigar but for the price Id buy a box of the #4 instead. Its the 2nd best stick Partagas makes IMO.

And in regards to ordering from "sources"....this is not the best of times Wink

I've got the new release #5. If it's solid that's good enough for me. I'll consult with you folks the next time I have an opportunity to buy.
Recently celebrated the completion of a long-term project with an Opus X Lost City Toro. These have been hit-or-miss for me, but this one was definitely a hit, and everyone around the table was singing the praises of this stick. Milder than a normal Perfecxion X (similar vitola), it had a great oatmeal, hay, cream, and cinnamon character. Pretty consistent throughout the smoke, so not much complexity, but a very enjoyable character.
I got a chance to retry the new Cuenca y Blanco, this time the Robusto Deluxe and after having a 3-month rest in my coolidor: I'm impressed! This stick comes from the Joya de Nicaragua factory, but it is SO different from any JdN I've ever had! Elegant, medium-bodied, melding subtle oat and hay with a fantastic hint of sweet apricot - just lovely! The Hoyo de Monterey Epicure No.2 is one of my favorite Cuban Rubustos, and I'd say that this is to international blends (besides Nicaraguan leaf, it's also got an Ecuadorian wrapper, Dominican binder, and Peruvian filler) what Epicure No.2 is to Cubans. It's rare to find sticks whose flavors are this subtle, yet this distinct.

I had previously tried the 'Corona Real' (5.5x46) at a Liga Privada/Joya de Nicaragua event in September, and I thought that was good, but I'm convinced that it was either just really young or over-humidified, because it wasn't NEARLY as good as this Robusto Deluxe. 'Will buy more, to say the least!
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
I got a chance to retry the new Cuenca y Blanco, this time the Robusto Deluxe and after having a 3-month rest in my coolidor: I'm impressed! This stick comes from the Joya de Nicaragua factory, but it is SO different from any JdN I've ever had! Elegant, medium-bodied, melding subtle oat and hay with a fantastic hint of sweet apricot - just lovely! The Hoyo de Monterey Epicure No.2 is one of my favorite Cuban Rubustos, and I'd say that this is to international blends (besides Nicaraguan leaf, it's also got an Ecuadorian wrapper, Dominican binder, and Peruvian filler) what Epicure No.2 is to Cubans. It's rare to find sticks whose flavors are this subtle, yet this distinct.

I had previously tried the 'Corona Real' (5.5x46) at a Liga Privada/Joya de Nicaragua event in September, and I thought that was good, but I'm convinced that it was either just really young or over-humidified, because it wasn't NEARLY as good as this Robusto Deluxe. 'Will buy more, to say the least!

I bought a box of these and they are resting. Very nice analysis.

Yesterday I enjoyed a Cohiba Esplendido from 03' in 45 degree weather...quite balmy!
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Sunny and 65 currently in Dallas.

Time to take Savannah for a long walk/run into the woods with a fine cigar.

Montecristo #2 ('03)

Very nice!

Yup. It takes a real man to go for a run with a cigar!! Bow

PH
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
quote:
Sunny and 65 currently in Dallas.

Time to take Savannah for a long walk/run into the woods with a fine cigar.

Montecristo #2 ('03)

Very nice!

Yup. It takes a real man to go for a run with a cigar!! Bow

PH

I'm confused. Who's running and who's smoking? Razz
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
I haven't had a cigar in months; that needs to change, SOON.

Dont remember you posting that you smoked Giga? What do you enjoy?

I only smoke 4-5 cigars a year.

I typically enjoy Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta, and Padrón.

The Padrón 1926 Serie 80 Years is the finest cigar that I have enjoyed, to date.
quote:
quote:
quote:

The Padrón 1926 Serie 80 Years is the finest cigar that I have enjoyed, to date.

I can fix that Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I can fix that Smile

Do tell!

I believe that you have my mailing/shipping address. Banana
quote:
quote:
quote:

I can fix that Smile

Warning: he cheats... to your advantage. Cool I'm just curious to see what the godfather will choose. Padron 80 is a high bar, to be sure.
Maybe it's been covered here before, if so, I apologize for the repeat question but here I go: can one bring dried up cigars back to life by keeping them in a properly set up humidor? I have been more diligent about keeping my humidor at the right humidity level and when I opened it to check tonight, I just got a great whiff of those old cigars, so I'm thinking that might have done the trick. What do you think?
quote:
Originally posted by stickman:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I can fix that Smile

Warning: he cheats... to your advantage. Cool I'm just curious to see what the godfather will choose. Padron 80 is a high bar, to be sure.

Devilish
quote:
Originally posted by Gsmfan:
Maybe it's been covered here before, if so, I apologize for the repeat question but here I go: can one bring dried up cigars back to life by keeping them in a properly set up humidor? I have been more diligent about keeping my humidor at the right humidity level and when I opened it to check tonight, I just got a great whiff of those old cigars, so I'm thinking that might have done the trick. What do you think?

gsmfan - My understanding is yes you can bring them back with a few months of R&R in a humidor. It sounds like it worked out well in your case.
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
It will be 70 this weekend

Those of us experiencing frozen, crunchy nosehairs this morning don't like you very much with this kind of post. Razz

Ha... 70 again today, a dusting of snow on Christmas, but back in the 60's within 48 hours.

I love Chicago, in the summer. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
It will be 70 this weekend, and I'm thinking a BHK 56 will be in order.

I experienced by first 56 a few weeks ago. While I prefer the 54, overall, this is an absolutely gorgeous cigar all around.

I have only had the BHK 52 and 56. K how about a cigar after the offline this Sat? We should be done early. Just need to find a place. I have cigars waiting in the humidor Wink
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
K how about a cigar after the offline this Sat? We should be done early. Just need to find a place. I have cigars waiting in the humidor Wink

Sounds like a plan if we can find the place Cool

There are only a few cigar lounges in Montreal. The only one sort of near is Stogies on crescent. They do let you bring your own cigars.
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle John:
There are only a few cigar lounges in Montreal. The only one sort of near is Stogies on crescent. They do let you bring your own cigars.

Been there many times, UC, and know it well.
That could be a good place, if not our home
(D may allow said smoking one evening out of the year Devilish )

Add Reply

Likes (0)