Christmas dinner No. 1 (tomorrow):

NV Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Extra Brut Extra Old

2009 Faiveley Mercurey 1er Cru Clos des Myglands

2007 Isole e Olena Vin Santo del Chianti Classico

Christmas dinner No. 2 (on the 26th):

Larmandier-Bernier Longitude

2004 La Rioja Alta Rioja Gran Reserva 904

I’ve learned that while there are 3 or 4 people at each dinner who love wine and are fairly knowledgeable, most don’t care and don’t appreciate it when I’ve opened older, higher end wines. So now I’ve found a middle ground: wines that the wine peeps in the families will appreciate, that the non-wine peeps will still enjoy, and that aren’t going to break the bank. And others will also contribute wines to both meals. (I know already that there will be a Wayne Gretzky Merlot at dinner No. 2.)

2006 Querce Bettina BdM. Cork was soaked about a third of the way, with streaks running another third toward the top. Nothing had reached the top of the cork, which I’ve seen with other QB bottles. Wine was in a great place, at optimum drinking for my palate. Earthy dark cherries, nearly-resolved tannins, silky finish. Not sure this will get much better from here, so I’ll be downing my remaining two bottles in the next year or so. 

My husband and I will enjoy a 1996 Dom Perignon with oysters on Christmas Eve, and a red TBD with broiled steaks. No plans for our Christmas Wines as of yet. as I am looking for something to pair with soup of seven seas which will include lobster, shrimp mussels, crab legs, scallops and halibut and is rather spicy!

Add Reply

Likes (0)