Skip to main content

I know, not my favorite genre either, but every year, I seem to have to edit something.  What are your favs, happy to add any, particularly vintage/bebop jazz, or off the wall.  Off my mostly oldies list:

Elvis, blue xmas - the best

Brian Setzer, quite a few of his, but nutcracker suite in particular

Herb Alpert, Jingle bells

Ella, frosty

Chuck berry ,run run rudolph

Et al...

I've got the pogues xmas song, but its kinda depressing.

Original Post

Apparently only us kooks in SD listen to xmas music! I love some newer songs, but love the classics sung by choirs, like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. My faves:

Last Christmas— Wham (and Jimmy Eat World as well)

Santa Claus is coming to town—Springsteen 

Christmas (baby come home)—U2

Christmas Waltz—She and Him

O holy night—Perry Como

flwino posted:
csm posted:

Literally none.  I worked in retail in the mall in undergrad. I legitimately hate every single Christmas song as a result. 

Agree.  Tired of listening to it from before Thanksgiving.  Good for only a week at the max

Sounds like the result of hating your job and associating the music with that.  When I was working in a movie theater the general manager had Linda Ronstadt's CDs with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra playing nonstop. I still love those albums despite not listening to any other big band music that I can think of.

Of course, it was Linda Ronstadt. So who wouldn't love it?

winetarelli posted:

“River” - Joni Mitchell

”Glad Tidings” - Van Morrison 

“Christmas” - The Who

I’ll give Patti Smith’s version of “O Holy Night” a listen, of course. Perhaps as well, Pavarotti and Domingo’s. And I’m sure to listen to several versions of “The Hanukkah Song” by Adam Sandler. 

I second The River.  Still gives me chills.

Adding I Believe in Father Christmas by ELP and John Lennon's So This is Christmas.

sd-wineaux posted:

Sounds like the result of hating your job and associating the music with that.  When I was working in a movie theater the general manager had Linda Ronstadt's CDs with the Nelson Riddle Orchestra playing nonstop. I still love those albums despite not listening to any other big band music that I can think of.

Please try the records that those CD's were based on--the incomparable Ella Fitzgerald doing the American songbook with arrangements, and conducting, by Nelson Riddle. There will never be greater.

Last edited by The Old Man
The Old Man posted:
irwin posted:

Little drummer boy is one of the most annoying and monotonous songs in the history of music. Gives me a headache. 

Greatest version of course is Richie Petrie's version on the Dick Van Dyke Show's "Alan Brady's Christmas Special."

Pa rum pum pum pum

Coincidentally, today is Dick Van Dyke's 94th birthday.

irwin posted:
The Old Man posted:
irwin posted:

Little drummer boy is one of the most annoying and monotonous songs in the history of music. Gives me a headache. 

Greatest version of course is Richie Petrie's version on the Dick Van Dyke Show's "Alan Brady's Christmas Special."

Pa rum pum pum pum

Coincidentally, today is Dick Van Dyke's 94th birthday.

Amazing. So talented.

Cool, thanks one and all.  Some above I've got and some I don't and will add, but SHOUT to Winetarelli, on the Who song.  I've got Tommy on vinyl, cd, and digits, but for some reason i never connect that song to my xmas list.

For the hater of xmas music, its cyclical.  I hated xmas music too for periods in my life.  But, well, I listen to music, my wife likes xmas music, so, I roll with it and make the best of it.    

spo posted:

The Waitresses - "Christmas Wrapping"

Bob Seeger's version of "Drummer Boy"

Trans Siberian Orchestra - "Christmas Eve and Other Stories" It is funny how a metal band made it big by becoming a band that performs Christmas songs.

Nutcracker/Simon Rattle

Whats up, spo, we gotta reconnect.  Its been a while.

Trans siberia orchestra,  I've gotta check if they do that speed metal version of Jesu joy of mans desire by Bach that I've been looking for.

BTW, Tacos Revolucion is the bomb.  Best carne asada in the county. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.