Chicago Friday March 15th

Me and my wife Dorrie will be in Chicago the middle of March celebrating our 4th anniversary and thought a gathering of the CWM and any other chicago forumites is in order on Friday March 15th. I am open to anything but a BYO restaurant in downtown Chicago is preferred. Theme?

IW
Original Post
Lets talk about a venue. I know a few restaurants that have hosted us in the past. Are there any that the Chicago crew have enjoyed recently? The last one we had at Boka on Halsted was a good time. If people want to try this I will call the owner as he is a good friend. There is also a good Italian restaurant named Vinci across the street from Boka that did a good job. I am open to just about anything as long as there are some non meat dishes for my wife to enjoy.

IW
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
FWIW, I e-mailed Vinci and received a reply that wines 10 years or younger would have a $15 corkage fee. No fee for wines older than that.

Bill- should we just hit that burrito joint on Western?? Ha ha, j/k.

$15 at Vinci is reasonable.

Otherwise I know in the past some folks met at Kiki's Bistro for an offline, and I hear it was solid.
UPDATE

I got Boka restaurant to lower their corkage fee to $15. They are willing to do a pre arranged 3 or 4 course meal or we can just order off the menu. What do you guys prefer? If we submit our wines to them in advance they will come up with items that match with them. My preferences lean toward Boka over Vinci. I have made a reservation for 15 people. If we need to adjust this number we can. If you need to reach me offline my email is justinhome at msn dot com.

IW
There's no way I am going to miss BOKA...we're in for two IW, thanks for setting it up. Absolutely fine with either the regular or prearranged menu. Some of the best dishes I've ever had have come out of Guiseppe's kitchen...will be fantastic either way.
Lets all post the wine you would like to bring. I think it would be fun to submit them to the wine director so he can share them with the kitchen. If we decide to go with the pre arranged menu I will ask them to go with a flat price per person, so everyone knows in advance. We still have 6 weeks before the dinner so that should give us plenty of time to come up with some interesting wines to share. I am seriously thinking of a young Flaccianello or an aged rioja gran reserva (1983 Bodegas Martinez Bujanda Conde de Valdemar Gran Reserva). This could change though.

IW
Here's hoping your schedule plays out favorably, newsguy!

IW, when I saw that you made the reservation for 15, a little voice in my head began shouting "magnum" repeatedly.

Some options:
1995 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
1989 Chateau Beychevelle
Some older Siduri Pinots (1998/1999), back when Adam was making some lovely wines that didn't push the ripeness envelope.

We can always just keep an eye on things and fill in with a couple of 750s of something else we'd need.
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Allred,

A magnum or two plus some 750s would be fun. That Corton Charlemagne sounds awesome. I have not given the restaurant a start time. Is 7:30pm good for everyone?

IW

I think 7:30p sounds perfect. Love that this will be a Friday.

I'll have to think about wine...will post at a later time.
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
Here's hoping your schedule plays out favorably, newsguy!

IW, when I saw that you made the reservation for 15, a little voice in my head began shouting "magnum" repeatedly.

well thanks, allred. i truly hope to be able to make this.

and even though i'd need to source a bottle, with a crowd surpassing a dozen, this really does need to be a magnum offline (at at least predominantly magnums), doesn't it? what's really the point of 1.5 oz. pours, anyway? just when you might start to get a handle on what it tastes like, it's gone.

and 7:30 will certainly work for us.
quote:
Originally posted by Scott McDonald:
Any start time is fine with me. I could bring a 2001 Feudi di San Gregorio Serpico.

Tasted one tonight coincidentally...still tannic, but with an intriguing burnt rubber quality underneath the dark fruit. Tasty.
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Do you guys want a 3,4 or 5 course meal for a set price or do you a want to just order items straight off the menu? Thanks.

won't know for a while yet whether we will definitely be able to attend. but that said, i would vote for ordering off the menu. gives people a nice flexibility. if we had a wine theme, letting the chef plan a menu for us around the wines would be awesome. but the wines will be a potpourri, so i like the idea of diners being able to just order what they want.

Add Reply

Likes (0)