Skip to main content

Having prime rib tonight and thought about opening one of my (two) Chateau de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape 1989's. If I do when should I open and decant it? Two hours prior?

The side dishes will be very simple, somekind of potato which I have not yet decided on and some green beans with a light warm dijon vinaigrette.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Skip
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sorry I didn't see your post until this morning. I had this fabulous wine last year while visiting my mother. We didn't decant it because she doesn't have a decanter. There was a good layer of sediment on the cork so we poured carefully. I wouldn't say that it needed any aerating.

Please let us know how it was and how long/if you decanted. I have another bottle I've been saving for another special occassion.
Last had this wine Dec/01. I decanted for about 30 min. before drinking. Here's my TN:

1989 Beaucaste Chateauneuf-du-Pape: the infamous bretty-barnyardy Beaucastel nose is there, but it doesn't take long at all to get used to it. Silky mouthfeel, smoky, peppery berry/cherry flavors, rich and ripe, full bodied, bit of tannin on the finish, but long, sweet fruit flavors. Grows on you with each sip. Acidity excellent, lots of life still ahead, I think. App. 92-3 pts.

There's been some bottle variation in this wine, with some examples showing excessive amounts of brett, making them virtually undrinkable. I haven't encountered that in 6 tries.

And you've already been warned about the sediment. Enjoy!

-----------------------------

Cheers.
What a great wine. I decanted the wine about 45 minutes before dinner (tried a little right away). It must be decanted, there was a huge amount of sediment. The 45 minutes did let the wine open up and develop, strongly recommended.

The wine had a very silky feel. Violets, pencil, ink, herb and a ton of fruit lingering in the mouth for a long, long time. No barnyard anywhere to be seen. One of the best wines I have ever had! Definitely a 95-97 in my book. And I would bet it has several years worth of cellaring power. I will check out the other bottle in 2 or so years.

Skip
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.