Skip to main content

Some people are drinking more; some, less.  We know that.  But are the wines you're drinking and buying different than they otherwise would have been?

For example, I've always been more on the "explore" side (within the context of educated guesses) than on the "buy by the case" side.  But during this lockdown I have found myself more on the "drink / buy what you know" side.  Anyone else experiencing this?  The opposite?  Something else?

Last edited by winetarelli
Original Post

We have been drinking more. I worked at home almost exclusively for the better part of three months. This led to more Involved weeknight cooking as I was saving an hour of commuting each day. If we’re having a nice meal the tendency to pull a cork goes up as opposed to when we just have a salad, sandwich, leftovers, etc. At first I was keeping it to “daily drinkers” for the most part, figuring I would save nicer bottles for future off lines. Plus, I wasn’t sure if I was going to be dealing with a pay reduction or furlough (or a combination) like I did in the 2009 recession. Most wine purchases have been QPR food-friendly wines that we both enjoy. To answer part of the question, there is a little less experimentation in my shopping these days.

Several months into this situation, and with no end in sight I’ve started dipping into some nicer bottles occasionally. Who the hell knows when we’ll be able to have full-on off lines again?

I've been buying the same amount and producers direct from winery.  I've been buying less from retail since I cannot easily shop in person any longer.  We've been drinking about the same amount at home.  Drinking a little less overall since  we've had not that many offlines since March (my BNO/GNO group has met twice since March but we're shut down again with the rise in local cases during July).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.