I was reading in Decanter, this morning that Figeac was demoted from 93 points to 85 by King Parker? Anyone try this recently? There must be something going on for it to be demoted by that many points. Maybe its the cooked plum that Suckling stated in his tasting notes???
Original Post
That's really interesting. I always wondered why there was such a discrepancy between the WS and RP notes.

Decanter's own score was 4 stars out of 5.

The scores on Cellar Tracker seem solid, though not stunning.

I have only the one bottle, so I don't want to crack it right now purely for curiosity's sake.
I've only got one bottle as well and so will let it rest for another good long while.

I won't be the first to say it but I think it bears repeating...Parker's palete is changing and he doesn't like elegant, austere, sinewy (as opposed to fleshy) wines any more. As opposed to lauding fruitbombs like he has been, he now seems intent to outrightly cut down wines that don't meet his profile...

I'm sure in a decade or so when I get around to drinking it, the 2000 Figeac will be a good (though not great), very classical bordeaux, the type that is getting increasingly hard to get.
I am sure it will be worth every penny and Parker is totally WRONG because he knows nothing about wine...lol....he likes shiraz....lol....it taste like pancake syrup...lol....it taste like cough syrup....lol....he is so pretentious...lol
I wonder if there could be some cryptic sinus disease or nasal polyps or some other upper airway phenomenon that has caused a decline in his olfaction....which would fit a change in taste to require bigger fruit to get the same joy.

Not meant as a dig at RP, just thinking of physiolgic changes that could account for his apparently blatant shift in "taste."

I don't know him...increase in weight? Sleep apnea? Smoking? Allergies? Medication effects? Inadequate fluid intake? Chronically over-indulging in alcohol can diminish one's sense of smell, as well.

Interesting this change in palate he's had.
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:
I wonder if there could be some cryptic sinus disease or nasal polyps or some other upper airway phenomenon that has caused a decline in his olfaction....which would fit a change in taste to require bigger fruit to get the same joy.

Not meant as a dig at RP, just thinking of physiolgic changes that could account for his apparently blatant shift in "taste."

I don't know him...increase in weight? Sleep apnea? Smoking? Allergies? Medication effects? Inadequate fluid intake? Chronically over-indulging in alcohol can diminish one's sense of smell, as well.

Interesting this change in palate he's had.

As you get older your taste diminishes, alcohol probably doesn't do oral tissue any favors, how many wines does he come into contact with every day?

I can't believe when he gives a wine a score people don't like he gets bashed. Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
actually its quite simple. It is classic St Emillion and there is cab franc in the blend, throw in the traditional method of winemaking and you have the vegetal type that he is hemming and hawing about.

The vegetal flavors can be unpleasant. I thought wines being over ripe was my main concern but I have been tasting French wines with pretty extreme, metallic, green, weedy, stemmy flavors that are just awful. I don't know if they overextract under-ripe wines or what, but it has become a menace for me lately.
What change in his palate preference does anyone notice?

Like it has been said, he was never a huge fan of Figeac, so Figeac thought it best that he not review their wines EP, and now, when he scores out of btl, the scores are even worse.

He does not drink those highly scored Aussie and Spanish wines. You never see them written up in the Hedonist Gazette.

He drinks Rhone, BDX, SQN, Aubert, and the occasional Napa Cab and Burgundy (to knock how overpriced they are).

He ma have reviewed those Aussie/Spanish wines very high, but they do not appear to be in his cellar. Wonder why?

Add Reply

Likes (0)