Cellarable 2010

Hello, first post. I get Magnums of GDL for my children and grandchildren's 21st birthday from their birth year.   The 2010 GDL private reserve gets some bad ratings.  Can some suggest a good 2010 vintage that will hold up until 2031?  Thanks much

Original Post

The Ridge Monte Bello and Dunn Howell Mountain consistently deliver especially when given lots of time and proper storage.  I expect the ‘99s to be just entering their drinking windows.  They are probably a bit north of GDL prices.  Check wine-searcher.

Agree with DoubleD- those mountain fruit cabs seem to drink beautifully at 30 years of age.  I'm constantly surprised by how well many of the Cali Cabs age despite the relatively narrow drinking window that the experts give them. I'll bet the GDL drinks beautifully at age 21.

Of course, if you,want my opinion, I would invest in 2010 Bordeaux.

Think globally. Get a mixed case of good quality dry German Riesling and you and your kids will be blown away at how well they aged. Look for bottlings marked GG (for Grosses Gewachs, or ‘Great Growth’) from names like Donhoff and Keller. 

steve8 posted:

2010 Brunello and/or Barolo. Most will age well and easily until 2031.

Agree re: 2010 Barolo, also 2010 Bordeaux

On the Barolo, go for the Serralunga side communes: Barolo, Castiglione Falletto, Serralunga, Monforte d'Alba for long aging, especially Castiglione Falletto, Monforte, Serralunga.   Barbaresco's are also great in 2010 and should be long lived...

Lots to choose from.  Who know's what direction the kid's palates will take... good to have some variety.

Add Reply

Likes (0)