I was browsing through the elmundovino website and was pleased to see that there were a significant number of 2001 wines already rated. However, in general it appears that the scores were very low. Many of my favorite wines received low scores or lower scores than previous vintages such as Cirsion, Numanthia, San Roman, Finca Dofi and my beloved Artadi which got creamed.

There were some that held up but were not superior than previous vintages such as Allende Calvario, Contador and Clos Mogador.

Is the supposed vintage of the century going to be a big dissapointment. There are still other wines left that have not been rated - Hacienda Monasterio, Abadia Retuerta, Mauro, Aalto, Remirez de Ganuza and others. So my hopes are still up.

Have you heard anything in the grapevine over there.

Regards
Original Post
I've had all of the '01 Dominio de Tares wines coming out of Bierzo and have been very jazzed about them! So far these are the only '01s I've had coming out of Spain but I've been impressed. Over on eBob I noticed that the barrel samples of the Artadis scored very, very well. Bring them on!
I hold the individual tasters at Elmundovino in the greatest respect, but personally I never follow the ratings of tasting panels. In that sense I "buy" the one-man discourse of Parker and the likes. The panels at elmundovino vary in composition depending on the area tasted or who's available that week. There is a sort of consistency but not the sort I'd follow to the tomb.
Come to the insane prices of Artadi top bottlings (are you the one who inquired about this at Verema.com, soon to appear in English?) I'd follow Parker and damn him if he's wrong. I got the Pagos Viejos 2000 for 32€ and see no reason why I should pay twice that price for the 2001 (no reason other than hype).
The 2001 vintage is awfully promising, and everything I've tasted so far has been in line with expectations, but the one natural problem is that most houses have produced high amounts of reserve wines (top cuvées and the like) that are yet to be released. With 1999-2000 performing so well in many areas there is no shortage of wine, so I have had little access to many 2001s, but I for one believe in said potential. Does that help? Smile

------------------
Free Winona!
... staring at the sun going down over Formentera I've been contemplating some of Spain's fine wines.

Among several tasted I was very much pleased with the Finca Valpiedra Rioja by Conde de Valdemar's Bujanda family.
I found a little text about it:

** Finca Valpiedra is the family's Estate red wine and vineyard. 80 hectares devoted to Tempranillo (majority), Cabernet Sauvignon,Graciano and Mazuelo 25-year-old vines located in an exceptionally beautiful area in Fuenmayor (Rioja Alta) and crowned by spectacular château-style premises. The jewel of the Bujandas was acquired to Bodegas Montecillo, that belongs to the Jerez based Osborne Group, in 1973 and represents today a must visit for any self-respecting Spanish wines lover.

4,000 oak barrels of French and American origin, very selective picking, training and pruning are just some of the factors that makeFinca Valpiedra Reserva, the sole bottling from the Estate named after the land, so special. A very modern wine meticulously made by one of Rioja's most emblematic families. **

It's a very modern, very round (but not California sweet), intense wine, darker in colour than may be expected from tempranillo (due to some caberneet sauvignon). Great wine. The vintage was 1998.

I'll post back, whenever I remember more...
Gastro,

I have been sending distress calls over various forums - Verema and Ebob - to get some feedback as I was planning to spend major bucks on Artadi´s 2001 vintage. Victor from elmundovino already replied stating that he was ¨disconcerted¨ by the Artadi showing and that they would retry at some point later on. If the wines are indeed not as good as prior vintages then he suggests that the departure of the former ennologist - Benjamin Romeo of Contador fame - might have something to do with the drop off. I was already aware of the Parker preliminary scores. Hence my confusion with the elmundovino scores. I think the folks over at todovino were very high on El Pison and Grandes Añadas but not as high on the Pagos Viejos.

By the way, why dont you get the thread started off in Verema to see if I can get the other guys there to respond. Also, I did not fully understand your comment about verema in English.

Finally, I think the numanthias 01 are starting to roll in in the states. From reading various forums - specifically, Vinocellar - it seems that the 01 although solid is not as good as 00. Also, which is the concensus as the best Numanthia vintage.

Thanks for your reply.
Spain and the US don't always agree on Spanish wines; that's for sure.
At Vinocellar the 2000 Numanthia had a major success whereas it eventually came out as the poorest-rated ("poorest-rated") year for Parker. No-one knows how the '01 will fare until his notes are out. Myself I opted for another '00 (at 24€) instead of taking a premature '01 for the team...
I saw Víctor's reply at e-Bob already, and Verema's lack of tasting notes. Some of the Riojan folks there are truly fanatics of Rioja wines (in the best sense, generally) and will usually not infanticide the top Artadis. David-G has just inquired about the '99 GGAA drinking window and the feedback has been "Wait if you can". They cherish the agelessness of Rioja; I couldn't care less (we've just finished Calvario'99 + LAN Edición Limitada'00).
Benjamín Romeo has produced two wonderful reds with his Contador and Cueva del Contador. I tried both 2000s and they're decidedly among my best-ever wines (and I'm no patriot). His departure must be resented ANYwhere, but the 2001 vintage has been truly stelar for him, apparently (even the tightfisted elmundovino panel has agreed), so I can see no reason why in theory the vintage wouldn't hold the same sort of potential for Artadi. That's for potential; performance, of course, is a different story...

Verema will soon have a sister site in English: www.verema.com/en/
Smile

------------------
Free Winona!
quote:
Originally posted by Gastronauta:
See yBig Grinu there!

------------------
Free Winona!

Sure dude! I've just written my first p Coolst in the verema-english-side Big Grin

CU,

GusOK
Thanks for kicking off what I hope will be an interesting discussion on these wines. I am looking forward to 2001 Spanish wines hitting the market. The only factor that may or may not keep me from spending heavily is the really crappy corks that Spanish producers continue to use. Seepage and corked wines are a BIG problem for me when they hit the States. I know quite a few posters here who have sworn off Spanish wines because of these problems.

However here's my short list of 2001s:
RIOJA - Artadi Vinas de Gains and Pagos Viejos, Muga, Remeriz de Ganuza
RIBERA - Monasterio, Emilio Moro
TORO - Numanthia, San Roman
PRIORAT - Clos Mogador, Lo Givot

I'm sure there will be more ...
Clos Mogador finally gets the ratings it deserves. It is almost always an outstanding wine. Last Saturday I stumbled across two bottles of Clos Mogador 2001 in a wine-shop, priced @ EUR 40. They're safely sleeping in my cellar now. Smile

Anche Dio è di-vino
So far I've only bought 2001 Calvario but tomorrow I'll be drinking Mogador'98 vs '01...and hopefully Clos Figueras'01 too! Big Grin

------------------
Free Winona!
Gasty, have you ever tried elmundovinos wine of the year, Mustiguillo Quincha Corral? It is available around here (at least the 2000 vintage), but quite expensive (EUR 60).

Anche Dio è di-vino
Last edited {1}
quote:
Originally posted by Marc:
Gasty, have you ever tried elmundovinos wine of the year, Mustiguillo Quincha Corral? It is available around here (at least the 2000 vintage), but quite expensive (EUR 60).

Anche Dio è di-vino

Hi Marc,
I don't have tasted this wine, but regarding the price you are right, it's a bit... ehem... expensive. You can find here (in Spain I mean Wink) between 50 - 60 EUR

Regards,

GusOK
I've only tried their second wine (Finca Terrerazo) and it was very promising but awfully closed (& no proper aeration didn't help). The Quincha Corral is much heavier on the indigenous Bobal (>60%) so it must be a totally different thing. A 39€ quote at Pecados Originales makes it far more tempting, but I'll wait...and I bet I'll wait too long...

------------------
Free Winona!
Now that you work hard, use your money wisely and have some fun... and post TN's please Roll Eyes Cool

Anche Dio è di-vino
- as mentionned by R2D2 - was a revelation to me.

An esquisite Ribera de Duero of the ripest Tinto Fino aka Tempranillo. Good extract without being heavy. I tasted it next to a Condade de Haza (always like that one) and I'm still not sure which one to prefer.
Yeah, find Moro, buy Moro.

And as the 2001 vintage is concerned, don't forget to check out the Rias Baixas, very nice Albariños made (from I light refreshing Vinho Verde style to a rich, almost fat ripe, exotic fruit style - some of them reminded me of the kiwi SB's somehow).
Our Priorat night ended as follows:

Cabrida 1998
Clos Mogador 1998
Clos Figueres 2001
Roda I 1998

How's that for organizatiRed Facen? Big Grin Roll Eyes

------------------
Free Winona!
Please Gastro, give us some more infos Smile
Where are the TN's?
What about Clos Mogador 01?
Roda I in Priorat? Confused

Anche Dio è di-vino
quote:

Roda I in Priorat? Confused
Anche Dio è di-vino

You know... after 3 b Coolttles even Gastro is a bit mislocated Big Grin Big Grin

Cheers,

GusOK
Yeah, dictators tend to lump together their subordinate regions... but wait, that's another almost-forgotten thread Roll Eyes Big Grin

Anche Dio è di-vino
Last edited {1}
That's what I meant by "How's that for organization?"
We've been having two weekly sessions like that since I landed home for the holiday (that's me and my Veremic neighbors two blocks away). So we decided it wasn't the time for a premature Mogador'01 unless we decanted the whole thing properly (6h.+) and monitored it throughout...heck! a lotta work!!

The RP94-pointer Cabrida 1998 was decanted for 2 hours and never showed the amazing promise it holds. Pretty Garnacha perfume touched by mild oak notes with considerable volume in the mouth but nowhere the stratospheric nose I expected. 90+

The 98 Mogador was decanted for 4+ hours and it delivered everything I wanted and then some. Amazingly purplish for its age and varietal composition, it was most enjoyable already, adding lots of fruit to its considerable complexity. In the palate it's civilized but with plenty of kick. 94+

The 2001 Clos Figueres (the Barbier/Cannan project) is a beauty not to be missed. Totally blue, with lots of fruit in a dusty, complex, oldworldlish way, it put us (even me) to relative silence for quite a while. No clue about varieties in there, but I'd say it's heavy in Garnacha while not untouched by Cariñena. At least there was a clear hint of Cariñena's balsamic warmth and an undeniable mineral core. 93++

After that the Roda I 1998 was simply out of place and out of league. Holding beautifully--though in a clumsy moment-- it had nothing to say after the toothstaining "ordeal" we'd been through.

------------------
Free Winona!
Thanks for the great notes Gastro. I've recently acquired some Mogadors ('00, '01 and a bottle of the '96 as a gift) to add to the '98s I have already. Smile Have you tried the '96 recently?

Also in my possession I have a few bottles of Paixar '01 Bierzo which is supposed to be stunning. I'm saving 1 bottle to open with you when you visit the US! Big Grin
Funny: as I type this I have Niko on my cell with this sms: "There's a glass of Paixar left from a decanter. Come now [instead of at 20:00] and you're in for something curious".
I'll go now, of course Wink Big Grin Big Grin

------------------
Free Winona!
I bought 3 bottles of the 01 Numanthia for $31.99 yesterday on Winex.com. I'm already on my for Spain 2001!

Love to get Mogador, but the price is probably going to be higher because of the WS Top 10. Oh well.
Paixar 2001 could turn out to be my best Bierzo yet. And that would include Bembibre 2001 (which is almost as good at half the price, but then Bembibre is rather inyourface versus the elegance of Paixar)...
From a small pour that had been decanted some 3h+1h in the glass the nose showed excellent oak/fruit balance and the aromatic profile was an excellent array of predominantly red berries (of superb ripeness) and smoky notes. This is sure to develop extra nuances with further cellaring so I wouldn't uncork until Easter...A very tentative 92.

------------------
Free Winona!
So that means you are coming to visit for Easter? Big Grin

Thanks for the notes- I'll likely open a bottle sometime this year and save my other two for later.
Nay...I'll do my VERY best to take the plunge from mid-June to October, but since I now have a job (Big Grin/Mad) I'm no longer the master of my summers...

------------------
Free Winona!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.