Buying trends

quote:
Originally posted by RedMeat:

or perhaps doctor's orders.

When I'm 80, I will ignore the doctors orders if he/she says to stop enjoying wine.

I have zero interest in extending my life just so I might what...spend more time in a nursing home at some point?

Give me my wine! Cool
I've definitely started buying Burgs (mostly red), and that has been my main focus lately. But my cellar is already stuffed, so the biggest trend is that I'm buying less of everything.

I have plenty of Bordeaux from vintages 2000-2008 (mostly '00, '03, '05). I'm still waiting for them to mature. My California Cab and Australian purchases have essentially halted, although I still enjoy drinking through my stockpile. I never did buy much from Germany, Spain, Italy, Port or S. America, although they all have small representations in my cellar. Likewise with California Pinot, Zin, and Washington/Oregon reds.

So in addition to the Red Burgs, I'm picking up just a few Champagnes, N. Rhones, CdP's, California Rhone Rangers, Cheap Chardonnay for everyday, and Michigan wines (red and white), just to add variety.
I'm probably going through what some others have gone through in the first few years or so that they truly jump into wine. I have really overbought and have too much inventory. So, I am at the point where I really need to scale back on purchases. That means a combination of drinking the stuff I have (even if it means it's "too early") and focusing purchases on things that I have actually enjoyed. I have yet to notice a real trend in terms of what regions, etc. I'm focusing on though. That may change in a few months once my wife can resume drinking again and voicing her opinion!
I sometimes feel I have a new buying trend every two weeks.

In general, I'm learning more and more about what I like and am purchasing based on that. This means I'm buying Brunello, Barolo, Rioja (generally of the traditional variety) and Bordeaux when it comes to reds, and Mosel/Rheinhessen, Alsace, and the occasional Burgundy when it comes to whites.

I've been picking up quite a few Bordeaux lately (2005's, 2009's, select 2008's). Not cheap, but I love the wines, and you can find relative values if you look carefully.
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
When I'm 80, I will ignore the doctors orders if he/she says to stop enjoying wine.

I have zero interest in extending my life just so I might what...spend more time in a nursing home at some point?

I couldn't agree more strongly. Quality over quantity applies to more than just wine buying strategies!

As for Board-O's question, as I'm approaching 50 my age is just starting to impact my buying decisions. But most of the shifts in my buying patterns have been due to previous purchases providing all that I want of a given region / varietal, or a rising desire for wines for which I previously had little experience / desire. There are only a couple of wine styles that I previously enjoyed and just completely lost interest.
Aside from champagnes, I haven't bought any French for quite a while. The better Bordeaux's were already way out of my price range when I started getting into wine, around 2000. I tried looking for some French values with Garagiste, but have given up on those as well. Don't need any more thin, sour, and weedy wines.
A few years ago I put a self-imposed price cap on my purchases of $50 a bottle. My reasoning was that a winery should be able to sell a good bottle under that price point. Not being an economist, I guess I didn't include many market factors into that equation, so it seems that even most of my beloved WA wines have topped that mark within the past couple years.
I still splurge occasionally, but I continue to look at second labels for value added purchases.
I don't buy that much these days except for drinkers mainly under $20. Only a couple of mailing lists because we just don't drink the Cali wines very often. No Bordeaux and little Burgundy. Some Champagne as you might expect (2002s) but haven't hit any of the high-end wines in a long time.

Times sure have changed. Cool

Add Reply

Likes (0)