Buying older USA Cab

quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
Finally ordered some 'older' cali-cab:

1979 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace (my YOB)
1981 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill (my wife YOB)
1992 Grgich Hills Cabernet Sauvignon

Can't wait to open one !


I received them today. All great fills and labels in pretty good shape. Will open the 79 first, will have the 81 this fall with my wife Wink

http://i262.photobucket.com/al...tite_zps137b91cf.jpg
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
I'm currently looking to buy cabernet-sauvignon based wines from California made in the 90s. I've seen these
Mondavi... '79 &'91 Reserve very nice



The '79 from a mag blew my skirt up!
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
Finally ordered some 'older' cali-cab:

1979 Diamond Creek Red Rock Terrace (my YOB)
1981 Diamond Creek Volcanic Hill (my wife YOB)
1992 Grgich Hills Cabernet Sauvignon

Can't wait to open one !


I received them today. All great fills and labels in pretty good shape. Will open the 79 first, will have the 81 this fall with my wife Wink

http://i262.photobucket.com/al...tite_zps137b91cf.jpg


Woot
Be sure to post some notes!
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
diamond creek > dunn in my opinion


My inequality sign is inverted. Razz

DC's from the 70's - 80's...maybe. But early 90's, Dunn blows them out of the water (IMO, of course).

* Between those, the '93 Dunn Howell & Napa are both fantastic.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
diamond creek > dunn in my opinion


My inequality sign is inverted. Razz

DC's from the 70's - 80's...maybe. But early 90's, Dunn blows them out of the water (IMO, of course).

* Between those, the '93 Dunn Howell & Napa are both fantastic.


he said older

must be the non port drinkers who think a wine from the 90s is considered older Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
Also saw a 1987 Dunn Cabernet Sauvignon for the same price as the 1992 Diamond Creek...


Was it the Howell or Napa bottling?


It's the Napa bottling for all Dunn's listed vintages...
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
Also saw a 1987 Dunn Cabernet Sauvignon for the same price as the 1992 Diamond Creek...


Was it the Howell or Napa bottling?


It's the Napa bottling for all Dunn's listed vintages...


I see. The '87 Dunn Napa is another great one, and that would most certainly be my pick in that bunch.
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
So, between DC and Dunn, which one of the '90s vintage / wine should I buy ?


Well, if you were already getting the '87 Dunn Napa, I'd go with the DC just for some contrast. If it's one bottle you're choosing from, I'd go '93 Dunn Napa.

You're not exactly in a dilemma here! They're all good wines, and you really can't go wrong with any of them. I'm just admittedly biased towards anything from Dunn.
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
Here, lastest one available (2010) is selling for more than 200$ Ack


I don't think you're missing much here. Admittedly, I have limited experience with recent vintages of DC. But from the bottles I have tried, this producer is a mere shadow of its former self.
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
Here, lastest one available (2010) is selling for more than 200$ Ack


I don't think you're missing much here. Admittedly, I have limited experience with recent vintages of DC. But from the bottles I have tried, this producer is a mere shadow of its former self.


So you would recommend aiming at other producers ? Looking (or will soon) to buy 2010 Napa wines for long ageing (birth of my twin boys). Dunn will do better I guess ? Smile
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
I'm currently looking to buy cabernet-sauvignon based wines from California made in the 90s. I've seen these:

Dunn Howell Mountain
Ridge Monte Bello
Diamond Creek
Ch√Ęteau Montelena
Araujo Estate
Dominus
Mondavi

Is one better than the other ones ? A better vintages in that specific decade ? What is average price ?

Will be bought in the US then brought back to Canada (to be shipped in NY state)

dzitt


I'm pretty sure in the last mailer Dunn was selling a lot of their library releases. Shoot them an email.
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
quote:
Originally posted by dzitt:
Here, lastest one available (2010) is selling for more than 200$ Ack


I don't think you're missing much here. Admittedly, I have limited experience with recent vintages of DC. But from the bottles I have tried, this producer is a mere shadow of its former self.


So you would recommend aiming at other producers ? Looking (or will soon) to buy 2010 Napa wines for long ageing (birth of my twin boys). Dunn will do better I guess ? Smile


I would simply aim at what you like. My preference for a more traditional style of Cab Sauv is just one man's take. With respect to the recent DC's, they are by no means bad wines. They have just followed suit with a more modern style; nothing wrong with that.

If you enjoy those older DC's you bought, just know that the newer stuff is not that style. Besides, the back vintages are cheaper anyways.

With that said, my recommendations for long term cellar candidates reflect producers who have more or less maintained this traditional style. They have proven track records. And...I just think they make damn nice wine.

- Ridge Monte Bello
- Heitz Martha's Vineyard
- Corison
- Dunn

* Those are just a few. I'm sure others could chime in too. I have also heard good things about Seavey, though I have yet to try anything from them.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×