Wife is out Saturday night. I'm planning to crack open a 1999 Banfi Brunello. My first thoughts on the menu are pretty obvious:

grilled porterhouse with a white bean ragu. But on nights like these, this is a pretty typical meal for me. Anyone have any red wine meals that would go well with the wine?

Thanks!
Original Post
If your butcher will cut you a small amount of butterflied leg of lamb...

I'm convinced the single greatest cut of meat is a rib veal chop; and that would go perfectly -- just marinate it for 30 seconds in garlic, pepper, EVOO, salt, and fresh herbs then grill over high heat to medium-rare.

Another idea would be a lamburger with fresh chevre.
quote:
Originally posted by Aja1:
winetarelli, I've seen those veal chops for sale and have always been tempted. What might you serve with it?


Polenta and gnocchi are both good suggestions. As are simply prepared vegetables.

It is really a cut of meat that is used mostly in Northern Italian cooking, so aside from rubbing it with some EVOO before grilling, the sides would generally be more butter or dairy oriented than olive oil oriented.

Two of the best examples of it I've had have been when it was seared on a grill then finished for a few seconds pan roasted in a wild mushroom sauce (one time fresh bluefoots and hedgehogs, one time porcinis) but I've never attempetd that. (Oh, sh!t. Did I just give myself an idea? Uh-oh. This is not good... Wink )

I have to dissagree with ArieS about the time of year I serve it. Every time I've prepared them, it has been over an open flame on the grill -- so summer. And, while the two mushroom preperations I've had have been in snazzy US restaurants, I ordered this cut often when in Northern Italy (where I was during the summer) so I deffinitely associate it with warmer weather, actually. I associate braised meats and dishes (like Osso Bucco) more with cooler weather.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
I deffinitely associate it with warmer weather, actually. I associate braised meats and dishes (like Osso Bucco) more with cooler weather.


I agree with winetarelli on this one....

One of my favorite at home brunello recipes is this:

Flank steak marinated (4-6 hours) in balsamic, EVOO, garlic, and chopped rosemary. High heat on the grill until slightly charred. Slice thin and serve over a bed of arugula, thinly sliced red onions, cherry tomatoes (even better if from the garden), and shaved parmaggiano. Dress the salad with an EVOO/balsamic vinaigrette....
quote:
Flank steak marinated (4-6 hours) in balsamic, EVOO, garlic, and chopped rosemary. High heat on the grill until slightly charred. Slice thin and serve over a bed of arugula, thinly sliced red onions, cherry tomatoes (even better if from the garden), and shaved parmaggiano. Dress the salad with an EVOO/balsamic vinaigrette....


I so know what I'm having for dinner on Sunday Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Dom'n'Vin'sDad:
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
I deffinitely associate it with warmer weather, actually. I associate braised meats and dishes (like Osso Bucco) more with cooler weather.


I agree with winetarelli on this one....

One of my favorite at home brunello recipes is this:

Flank steak marinated (4-6 hours) in balsamic, EVOO, garlic, and chopped rosemary. High heat on the grill until slightly charred. Slice thin and serve over a bed of arugula, thinly sliced red onions, cherry tomatoes (even better if from the garden), and shaved parmaggiano. Dress the salad with an EVOO/balsamic vinaigrette....

Sounds like something even my vegetarian girlfriend would like. Now to scrounge up some local, organic grass-fed flank steak, and maybe I can convince her. That sounds delicious.
The flank steak recipe sounds spectacular indeed! I am a fan of grilled skirt steak over arugula with shaved parmesan on top, but the balsamic twist sounds really good. This however, is the kind of meat dish that my wife adores, so maybe I'll hold off until she's back.

Finishing the veal in the pan with some shrooms also sounds particularly good with a brunello. It is also the kind of meat dish that she isn't the fondest of (read: huge hunk of grilled meat), so we may have a winner.

I'll continue to ponder throughout the day.
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Flank steak marinated (4-6 hours) in balsamic, EVOO, garlic, and chopped rosemary. High heat on the grill until slightly charred. Slice thin and serve over a bed of arugula, thinly sliced red onions, cherry tomatoes (even better if from the garden), and shaved parmaggiano. Dress the salad with an EVOO/balsamic vinaigrette....


I so know what I'm having for dinner on Sunday Big Grin


AWESOME - Thanks! (Though I omitted the tomatoes)
I am giving the flank steak recipe a try tonight with the following wines...any notes or thoughts on the wines appreciated... Cool

1999 Castiglion del Bosco Brunello di Montalcino Campo del Drago

1999 Castello Banfi Sant' Antimo Excelsus

I also have 3 of 2001 Valdicava Brunello di Montalcino...should I try this or is that committing infanticide?
That flank steak recipe, man, I'm thinking a great malbec. Catena Alta 2003. Or maybe a Carpineto Chianti Classico Riserva 2004 (like the one I'm drinking now). Both have great structure and body to handle the Balsamic. Nice flavor profiles too. I like both with simple S&P rubbed flank steak and a chimichurri sauce, buttered spuds as garnish.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×