anyone have any luck? i got skunked and so did 6 other people in my wine club here locally.

Original Post

I called and asked about quantities, as I found it very odd none of us in the group got a single bottle this year. Last year 3 of us in the club got a Blanton gold... the rep I spoke to said 1 bottle of weller and 54 of the old forester birthday were available and that lcbo had over 13,000 entries for the lottery... 

csm posted:

1 bottle of Weller?  Why even bother? 

i was thinking the exact same thing. she said " we only received one bottle from the distillery so that's all we have to sell" lol

the DRC lottery will be interesting. if 13,000+ people entered the bourbon lottery, imagine how many will enter the DRC ... and i think they only get, what 100 bottles max of all the wines combined?

2x Birthday Bourbons

Regarding DRC - a $400/btl of liquor goes a longer way than $400/btl of wine. And there's sticker shock too - all these bourbons would be what I call a "treat" but not extravagant. The combination of these two factors likely lead to a large # of people entering.

Or bots. 

csm posted:
vertigo888 posted:

2x Birthday Bourbons

How did you get two??  

yah lol! 12,950 got nothing and you got 2??? i thought the LCBO has a "ip address monitoring system" or some sort of BS that they block people out... which is an entire other topic, 5 people in my office tried to get a bottle outside of the 6 in my wine club... all skunked..... i wonder if the LCBO tracking system flags or blocks any multiple orders from the same network? or if a husband/wife are both entering form the same laptop? my Italian paranoia is kicking in. i better go have a glass of wine.

Last edited by Ciccio10

I've said this before, and I'll repeat it now:

If you think the LCBO has an IP addressing monitoring system, you're giving them way too much credit for their IT infrastructure.

Fut nailed it.  The reason the bottle counts are so low is that the higher ups get their "samples" and the rest of us plebs get the table scraps.  

A whisky group I'm in reported seeing cases of the Weller 12 at a GTA store right before this offering. Rumor is the LCBO accidentally shipped some to stores that was intended for the lottery.

winecanuck posted:

A whisky group I'm in reported seeing cases of the Weller 12 at a GTA store right before this offering. Rumor is the LCBO accidentally shipped some to stores that was intended for the lottery.

Toronto Whisky Society?

That picture was trolling folk. This was back when Weller 12 was readily available for people to buy. 

winecanuck posted:

Would not surprise me in the slightest if this happened. 

csm posted:

Fut nailed it.  The reason the bottle counts are so low is that the higher ups get their "samples" and the rest of us plebs get the table scraps.  

Is it that, or is it Agents holding back bottles?  When I see odd numbers of new releases available, i.e. that are not in multiples of standard case sizes of 6 or 12, I figure something is going on one way or the other.  If there are 21 bottles of something on offer, what's the deal?  Three bottles had to undergo 'testing' by the lcbo, or the agent only released 21 to the LCBO?

csm posted:
winecanuck posted:

Would not surprise me in the slightest if this happened. 

"Accidentally." Riiiiiiight. Call me cynical, but ...

machine posted:
csm posted:

Is it that, or is it Agents holding back bottles?  When I see odd numbers of new releases available, i.e. that are not in multiples of standard case sizes of 6 or 12, I figure something is going on one way or the other.  If there are 21 bottles of something on offer, what's the deal?  Three bottles had to undergo 'testing' by the lcbo, or the agent only released 21 to the LCBO?

Lab eats some, could be samples for the agent for licensees, could be breakage also. Could require a second sample bottle depending on what happened with the first.

And on something like this, it's generally not the agent "releasing" bottles to the LCBO, it's the other way around.

Oh, and what CSM said on top of that.

Licensee’s get first dibs.  In some classics releases, unlimited quantities. I think it could be the reason the online catalogues get listed so late. They’re waiting to see how many bottles are actually left after the licensee’s take delivery. 

futronic posted:
machine posted:
csm posted:

Lab eats some, could be samples for the agent for licensees, could be breakage also. Could require a second sample bottle depending on what happened with the first.

And on something like this, it's generally not the agent "releasing" bottles to the LCBO, it's the other way around.

Oh, and what CSM said on top of that.

Well as long as all of those things align so that consumers get as few scraps as possible, I'll be reminded of my place in the Ontario wine world...

csm posted:

Got allocated a bottle of the Col Taylor over the weekend. 

That's awesome. I really like that bourbon. Priced well too for the LCBO

If you look hard, you can find the Col Taylor Small batch for $40-$50 USD, but generally it's only mildly offensively priced by KGBO standards. 

How'd everyone do in the Pappy lottery?  I got a bottle of the Eagle Rare 17.  Have had some decent luck the last few drawings. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.