Randy Sloan nails it in post #7. Bottle shock occurs at the time of bottling, it's real, and there is science behind it (exposure to oxygen and SO2). My fuzzy recollection is that it lasts a few weeks to months, but wont be encountered by consumers unless wineries ship immediately after bottling. I think I've seen what might be considered a longer lasting variant of bottle shock in a few highly-sulfited German wines.
Travel shock is different. It probably affects older wines with sediment but may be a myth with little/no science behind it other than speculation for younger wines.
From a practical perspective, I wouldn't hesitate to open a young wine immediately after travel or shipping if it was needed for a tasting, but I rarely find myself in that situation. I try to avoid bringing old wines with sediment to tastings if it involves a plane ride and less than a few days for them to settle down. Shipping a week or two ahead would be a better choice in that case.
Then again, if it's a Mollydooker, you can ignore all of the above and just put it in a blender before serving...