Books About Tasting

Italy and wine are 2 subjects that are near and dear to my heart, so to find a book combining the 2 was a real treasure. The Pleasantness of Wine, by Luca Maroni, came out in 2000. But imagine my dismay when I learned that the English translation is almost unreadable. Mr. Maroni appears to know his subject well, as evidenced by the bio on the rear dust jacket flap. But so much has been lost in translation.
Consider the following: "This for the taste, for the mass of gustative and tactile sensations which is the passage of a sip into the mouse." (No, that is not my typo.) Or, after discussing the technological advances in viticulture, he arrives at the following conclusion: "This was. This is and this will be, all the more, less."
It is truly disheartening that a book with what appears to have an important message has been rendered almost inaccessible by such translation. Did no one think to have a native English speaker read this before it went to publication? Surely such a person would not be so hard to find in Rome, the place of publication.
How sad.
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Old Man:
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Taster: "This was. This is and this will be, all the more, less."

People get elected president talking like this.

certainly qualified to be a master in the jedi council
Seems like a pretty excellent translation. Imagine if it had been in standard English!

You see, old Luca has created something scientific when it comes to tasting.

It is the only publication whose evaluations are based on a scientific, simple, direct tasting method created in 1995 by Luca Maroni. The method is shareable by anyone and it is based on the logical principle that the Quality of a Wine equals the Pleasantness of its Taste.

But he explains the science. I'm kind of surprised that he's not had it published in some of the better scientific or medical journals.

He breaks it down nicely:

Quality is therefore . . .the essential nucleus in the process of evaluating and describing various existing products. Surely, it is easier for all of us to pursue and appreciate, in a product, what we better know and understand of the product itself.

Wider knowledge is therefore the equivalent of higher needs (intended as a better induced quality of the various products), and naturally a higher, and highly concentrated, pleasantness of fruition.

Then he gets into this:

The fruit-grade of a wine is directly proportioned to the consistency, balance and Integrity of its taste.

From this we deduce that, for the wine:

Index of Quality/Pleasantness/Fruit-grade = Consistency + Balance + Integrity

IQ/P = C + B + I

THE THREE FONDAMENTAL ORGANOLEPTIC PARAMETERS

There are three organolectic parameters common to all wines, which determine their Index of Quality/Pleasantness/Fruit-grade:

1. Consistency 2. Balance 3. Integrity

Maybe the translation is the best, most accurate, and logical translation possible given the original material?
Big +1 on what Greg said.

Luca Maroni is well known in Italy, and there is a wine guide published by him every year (I think).
His approach is controversial to say the least, and so are his scores; to me this is exactly one of the reasons why he got to be so well known here. I for one am definitely not a fan. Others might disagree.

The explanations quoted by Greg, frankly, scare me a little. It's not the fact that I don't agree with Maroni's approach (and with his scores), as it's a matter of opinions. It's his quiet self consciousness of being right which impresses me.

Add Reply

Likes (0)