I made "burgers" from Beyond Meat last night.  Not so impressed.  I couldn't help noting that the smell of the mix prior to cooking reminded me of Alpo.  Had an Impossible Burger at the local a few weeks back, and liked it marginally better.  Not going to be seeking either out in the future though.  The future of non-meat meat has a ways to go.

PH

Original Post

I tried a Beyond Meat-based breakfast sandwich at Tim Horton's here in Toronto. English muffin, egg, cheese and a Beyond Meat sausage patty.

The patty was juicy and had good texture, but it was overly peppery. Like stupidly peppery.

I think that's a Tim's thing, though. Their standard meat sausage is also overly peppery, so I expect they had Beyond Meat replicate the spicing.

Understanding i am in the minority however i cannot comprehend why a person who does not consume meat would want something that is supposed to look and taste like meat? 

Either eat meat or don't eat it. Fine either way but fake meat? 

On another note, does anyone think the stock has upside? it's been on quite the run.

mangiare posted:

Understanding i am in the minority however i cannot comprehend why a person who does not consume meat would want something that is supposed to look and taste like meat? 

I’m 100 points on this.

I'll tell my mom's story from her first 'veggie patty'.  A friend was really excited about it and wanted her to try it.  Quoting Mom:

"This is just like my mom's hamburgers.  Left over veggies mashed up, stale bread, a little egg.  It feed 8 people on 1/4 lb of ground beef.  We didn't call that healthy, we called that being poor."

Mangiare, I would not buy the stock now. I bought a fair bit when it was in the low $60s and sold four days later in the low $90s. It then sank back to about $64... before exploding when they announced results which beat estimates. In two days it shot up to $180 and has since drifted back to $140. At $140 think it’s still over valued. I can’t see another major increase unless they have another surprise announcement up their sleeve. Instead, I figure it will flounder and continue to slowly decline. 

There is nothing proprietary about their product. “Impossible” is just the first of what I think will be numerous competitors to hit the scene. 

jcocktosten posted:

Not sure what is hard to comprehend about why someone who chooses not to eat meat for whatever reason, ethical, religion; health, convenience, etc., might want to simulate a hamburger and/or have something to grill and put on a bun

Not hard to comprehend for me, and I mean no disrespect to those who partake. I’ve even had black bean and quinoa patties  a few times and was able to enjoy them, but I didn’t feel the need to pretend they were what they weren’t. I’m guessing there are some highly processed components in products that try and mimic the flavors of animal protein. There are ways to prepare vegetables and grains that make them delicious for what they are, without introducing chemistry. I guess my issue is with what I consider “fake” food. Disclosure - I haven’t done any real research into these items.

billhike posted:
jcocktosten posted:

Not sure what is hard to comprehend about why someone who chooses not to eat meat for whatever reason, ethical, religion; health, convenience, etc., might want to simulate a hamburger and/or have something to grill and put on a bun

Not hard to comprehend for me, and I mean no disrespect to those who partake. I’ve even had black bean and quinoa patties  a few times and was able to enjoy them, but I didn’t feel the need to pretend they were what they weren’t. I’m guessing there are some highly processed components in products that try and mimic the flavors of animal protein. There are ways to prepare vegetables and grains that make them delicious for what they are, without introducing chemistry. I guess my issue is with what I consider “fake” food. Disclosure - I haven’t done any real research into these items.

I don't have any issue with any of this or anyone not wanting to eat this stuff themselves - I was mostly just commenting on the choice of words - 

purplehaze posted:

I made "burgers" from Beyond Meat last night.  Not so impressed.  I couldn't help noting that the smell of the mix prior to cooking reminded me of Alpo.  Had an Impossible Burger at the local a few weeks back, and liked it marginally better.  Not going to be seeking either out in the future though.  The future of non-meat meat has a ways to go.

PH

I don’t mind vegetarian food at all. Even tofu can be great in the right preparations. (And of course there is loads of yummy ovo-lacto vegetarian food I eat just as a matter of course.)  But I’ve never liked vegetarian/vegan food that tries to be meat. It is always weird and non-meaty to me. 

mangiare posted:

On another note, does anyone think the stock has upside? it's been on quite the run.

I think that the primary purpose of making non-meat foods that have the flavor and texture of meat is to help meat eaters who are transitioning to a more plant based diet.  I can't imagine someone who was raised as a vegan trying to get their seitan to mimic a flank steak! 

There is a vegan Chinese restaurant near me that specializes in mimicking meat dishes with plant protein.  There are some pretty interesting and tasty imitations on their menu.  

That said, after the Beyond Beef burger experience, my first thoughts was...  I can't wait to have a properly charred beef burger!  I just noticed that Beyond Burger has announced a new "reformulated," recipe that more closely resembles hamburger.  I'm in no hurry to check it out.

PH

mangiare posted:

Most vegans enjoy meat. They just don't want to kill an animal to eat that meat. Eating mock meat is like drinking La Croix or Bubbly when you have eliminated soda.

Add Reply

Likes (0)