Best Wineglass / QPR?

Hi All

I have been using Riedel Vinum glasses to date. However I am running low in Bordeaux glasses, due to breakage. So I am about to buy more.

I like the Vinums as they are offer as sizable bowl, but are lighter (not too heavy) with a thin lip. But they do seem to break easily.

I also like to buy in quantity, at a discount. Reidel does sell 8 packs for the price of six.

What do you all think of the Vinums? Alternate suggestions?

Thanks

Jhcolman
Original Post
I had some of those glasses. Definitely more durable than the others, although when they do break the go off like a grenade. For some reason the wine didn't get legs/tears in those like it would in the lead crystal glasses and instead just left drops and blotches on the bowl. It bothered me enough that I don't use them anymore if I really want to evaluate a wine but the durability is definitely great for everyday use.
quote:
Originally posted by pyang:
If you can have a local restaurant that would help you out, have them get you the Riedel Vinum Extreme Restaurant series. This was a few years back, but these glasses comes in a case of 12 stems for around $5/pop wholesale.


6$ a pop now whole sale
I wonder if there is a way to do a blind tasting to compare glasses. Of course, touching a glass yields tactile information, so one would have to control for that somehow.
In other words, you put the same wine in several different glasses. maybe someone else swirls it around. You stick your nose in the openings. can you tell which glass is which from the nose?
Not sure how you taste.
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
I wonder if there is a way to do a blind tasting to compare glasses. Of course, touching a glass yields tactile information, so one would have to control for that somehow.
In other words, you put the same wine in several different glasses. maybe someone else swirls it around. You stick your nose in the openings. can you tell which glass is which from the nose?
Not sure how you taste.


You blindfold the taster, so they can't see the glass. You have someone else hold the glass for you as they pour it into your mouth. You shouldn't be able to tell much from the mere touching of the lips to the glass.

Big Grin
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:


You blindfold the taster, so they can't see the glass. You have someone else hold the glass for you as they pour it into your mouth. You shouldn't be able to tell much from the mere touching of the lips to the glass.

Big Grin


When executing this procedure, the taster must wear a white shirt.
Problem with letting someone else pour for you is that where the glass hits you on the nose is important if you have a big nose! You could wear work gloves and sip the wine yourself.

Or you could let the partner swirl the glass, sniff it and then drink thru a straw. Unless you believe that the wine will actually TASTE different from different glasses. But in that case, why do the experiment in the first place? Who tries to prove religion?
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
I wonder if there is a way to do a blind tasting to compare glasses. Of course, touching a glass yields tactile information, so one would have to control for that somehow.
In other words, you put the same wine in several different glasses. maybe someone else swirls it around. You stick your nose in the openings. can you tell which glass is which from the nose?
Not sure how you taste.


You blindfold the taster, so they can't see the glass. You have someone else hold the glass for you as they pour it into your mouth. You shouldn't be able to tell much from the mere touching of the lips to the glass.

Big Grin


forget the glass, just pour in mouth.
quote:
You blindfold the taster, so they can't see the glass. You have someone else hold the glass for you as they pour it into your mouth. You shouldn't be able to tell much from the mere touching of the lips to the glass.

Big Grin



forget the glass, just pour in mouth.


Blindfold them. Yank their hair back, smash the bottle over their head, shout "drink it bi**ch" and pour the glass of wine in their mouth.

Most people respond quite readily to this treatment. Sharpens their senses.
I read a blog post (available now only to subscribers) written back in 2009 by James Laube -- The Perfect Wineglass: One Size Fits All -- that made the case for the SZ burgundy glasses as being a great choice for just about anything that you happen to be pouring. I bought a bunch at the time. They have been wonderful.

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×