Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
Originally posted by VT2IT:
Other then for eggs nonstick are worthless. Get some three ply stainless, Calphalon are good and affordable if you can't swing All-Clad.

I suppose, but like anything, it depends on how much you're using it. The two big nonstick pots that I have had for a few years get used probably once every week or two, and have worked great for the wooden spoon items that I've cooked down in there. I haven't poured over Lorrie's gas oven thread, but if she's not planning copious amounts of use, I don't see why nonstick shouldn't be a viable option for her.
You can't brown as well in nonstick. Most are cheap, and therefore do not do a good job of heat distribution. There is also the toxic fume issue if you get them too hot. Plus she said "pots", which are not the same as pans. Are you really going to use a nonstick pot? Where is the benefit in steaming veggies in them, boiling pasta or making soup?
quote:
Originally posted by VT2IT:
You can't brown as well in nonstick. Most are cheap, and therefore do not do a good job of heat distribution. There is also the toxic fume issue if you get them too hot. Plus she said "pots", which are not the same as pans. Are you really going to use a nonstick pot? Where is the benefit in steaming veggies in them, boiling pasta or making soup?

Damn dude, you really must have hated that wine your friends brought last night.
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Two:

I like heavy bottoms.

. . . . ."and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny. . . . ."

OMG! I was totally gonna post that, and then squirted wine out of my nose when I saw someone beat me to it -- Bravo, IB!

On the issue, though, I have to agree with VT -- non-stick pots are a waste of teflon. Nonstick skillets are okay, and great for eggs or fish. Other than that, they're not worth much.
Does anyone know what that "magical" temperature is that causes "toxic" fumes from non-stick pans? I'm curious becauase I often sear something and toss the whole skillet into the oven to roast. I've searched and haven't found any definitive evidence that this even truly happens, but I'm curious nonetheless.
I know, I know, it's been mentioned, but I MUST remark what a joy it is to cook on a good set of All Clad. Worth the price (whenever you can find a 'deal' which is hard to do). Stepping down from that a good value-to-price is the Lagostina line of pots and pans. REALLY nice to work with on a smaller budget.

At clean up time I also HIGHLY recommend using "Bar Keeper's Friend" (approx a $1.60). Kind of like 'Comet', but for pans. This stuff is awesome! Doesn't scrtch your cook ware and saves A LOT of elbow grease!!! All Clad recommends using this product. I've used this product other places around the home and it's yet to fail.

Not easy to find in QC (and double the price as the U.S. when you can), it's still cheap and worth it! My friends there are constantly asking for me to bring up replacements when I go. I wish I could import this stuff Cool
About 15 years ago, I found a set of thick, anodized aluminum cookware at K-Mart for $40 (apparently it was mismarked, but I thought it was just a bargain.) The one skillet that was non-stick bit the dust a long time ago, but I used the rest of the set on a gas stove for years, and am still using it. I don't have problems with sticking (unlike the old joke, you don't want it to get good and hot before you slap the meat in).
quote:
Originally posted by BRR:
Does anyone know what that "magical" temperature is that causes "toxic" fumes from non-stick pans? I'm curious becauase I often sear something and toss the whole skillet into the oven to roast. I've searched and haven't found any definitive evidence that this even truly happens, but I'm curious nonetheless.

Dupont claims that Teflon doesn't start outgassing until it hits 800 degrees F, but I would take that with a grain of salt.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.