Damn - slightly over-cooked it last night. New fan oven is not as forgiving as the old one.

When I was last in New York at the UN Plaza hotel there was a pizza place only 100 yards away. For an extra $2 (I think) I got large instead of medium.

1. Couldn't get it through the revolving doors at the hotel;

2. Still hadn't finished it two days later.

Good pizza though.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Al Forno's - in Providence, Rhode Island - best grilled pizza.

Geppetos' - in Georgetown, DC (now long gone) - they put the most awesome amount of pepperoni on a pizza I had ever seen.

Somewhere in Milwaukee - an incredible deep dish pie. I wish I could remember the name.

Getting decent pizza in South Florida is next to impossible.

Lots of good options if you came further South.

Yeah, but the idea of driving 30-40 miles for a pizza doesn't appeal to me.
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Taylor:
I can't believe none of you New Yorkers have mentioned Lombardi's yet. Their meatball pizza with a little bit of extra garlic is my favorite pie in the city. Manhattan, that is. Grimaldi's, Di Fara's and Totonno's are all great as well. And T-Bird, I think Di Fara's has reopened (for the second or third time in a month it would seem).

i think lombardi's is at the bottom of the list. still a great pie(in fact, in the top 5-6 in the USA), but when you can get any of the others....
maybe cuz i live in brooklyn where grimaldi's, totonno's & difara's(and frannys and anthonys!) is located.
as of late, when craving manhattan pizza, i've been hitting lazzara's. HIGHLY recommended.
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyV:
Wooster Street in New Haven is home to both Pepe's and Sally's. Feuds have developed over which is better (I prefer Pepe's), but either way, they are the best I have had. Modern Pizza a few blocks away, is just as good.

pepe's rocked my world!
My mother-in-law makes the 2nd best, and my wife makes the best. She pre bakes the crust, then uses Italian (Marzanno) canned tomatoes exclusively (unless she can get some ripe plum tomatoes from the farms in Vineland, NJ). She uses a small amount of mozarella (part skim vs whole milk), EVOO, and a twist of Thai basil. It is devine. She bakes it at a high temp on a pizza stone in a gas oven.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Hey guys, I'm going to be bumming around Manhattan next week. Any suggestions?

I consider myself a pizza snob. I will try anything once in search of the best pizza. At this very moment I would recco Lombardi's. Bring cash.

As of late I have been making my own. This past Friday night the kids wanted me to order from the local joint. 30 minutes later 1 basic round cheese and 1 fresh mozzerella and marinara square...with tip....$35!!

Fast forward to Saturday next. I buy some dough from the same place, prepare my basic fesh sauce ($2.00?), go two blocks for what I think is the best fresh mozzerella in 10 miles ($7.00), and head home. Fire up the webber and creat the perfect round medium crust with grill croosmarks. Place on my new pizza pan and add all the ingredienst, hit the bottom with some corn meal, and place on the grill, now set to medium for 6 minutes or so, hit with some frsh grated Locatelli and serve. The kids told me NEVER to order pizza again.
I am not well traveled, and I usually make my own pizza, but I have to concur with indybob, that Zach's in Berkeley is one of the best places for pizza in the bay area. I make a point of stopping in whenever I am in the area. The only trouble is deciding on the thin crust or the stuffed pizza - we always get both and enjoy the leftovers for breakfast!
quote:
Originally posted by SueMor:
I am not well traveled, and I usually make my own pizza, but I have to concur with indybob, that Zach's in Berkeley is one of the best places for pizza in the bay area. I make a point of stopping in whenever I am in the area. The only trouble is deciding on the thin crust or the stuffed pizza - we always get both and enjoy the leftovers for breakfast!

No kidding, lots of leftovers, and worth the long wait it can take to arrive. Sue, are you a journalist BTW?
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:

Fast forward to Saturday next. I buy some dough from the same place, prepare my basic fesh sauce ($2.00?), go two blocks for what I think is the best fresh mozzerella in 10 miles ($7.00), and head home. Fire up the webber and creat the perfect round medium crust with grill croosmarks. Place on my new pizza pan and add all the ingredienst, hit the bottom with some corn meal, and place on the grill, now set to medium for 6 minutes or so, hit with some frsh grated Locatelli and serve. The kids told me NEVER to order pizza again.

That's just beautiful.

I'd rate your pizza in my top ten without having tasted it!

Where I am, well, it's a barren pizza wasteland.

In previous lives, I'd agree about Zach's in the bay area, as well as Olives (was it on Chestnut?) and Mozarella Di Buffalo out at West Portal. They both have pretty good corn meal dough, too.

North Beach was good originally, but it faltered.

The original pizzas at Postrio were pretty good, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them authentic pizza.

In Chcago, I like Uno, Gino's east, and Tony's, among others.

Chicago style is mui bueno!
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Hey guys, I'm going to be bumming around Manhattan next week. Any suggestions?

I consider myself a pizza snob. I will try anything once in search of the best pizza. At this very moment I would recco Lombardi's. Bring cash.

Well, I tried to steer my NJ friend (and ride) to Lombardi's, but he was hot to try Naples-45. Terrible, the food and the service. California Pizza Kitchen was better. Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
quote:

I consider myself a pizza snob.

any comment on staten islands own joe and pat's and/or denino's.

Mike, nothing has spun my wheels on Staten Island. Had them both. deninos is a bit better than J&Ps.
quote:
quote:
quote:

Mike, nothing has spun my wheels on Staten Island. Had them both. deninos is a bit better than J&Ps.

thanks. they are both on my "list".

yours sounds better tho!

Smile
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

thanks. they are both on my "list".

yours sounds better tho!

Smile

Having had both of them, I actually prefer Big Al's, which is a small place off of Hylan Blvd. Where on the island are you, mike?

Also Goodfellas is supposed to make a great pie, however I haven't had one yet.

My absolute favorite place was Giordano's in Chicago, with Sac's Place in Astoria a close second.
Pizza is big in my life. When I was young there was a place called Bellas on 11th Ave and 62 street, Brooklyn. Awesome sauce and only grated cheese square pizza. Next morning score: 95 points. L&B in Gravesend still does a bang-up job on the smallish sized squares. They put the cheese under the sauce, Next morning score: 98. There is a place in Bensonhurst that's worth the trip, Da Vincis on 65th and 18th. Great square with amazing mozzerella. My tip; wait for a fresh pie. Next morning score: 80.

Lombardis has the bubbly crispy crust I love. Great with beer. Wood burning stove. Next morning score; don't know. Never lasted that long.

I am in Great Kills. Where is Al's?
quote:
Pizza is big in my life. When I was young there was a place called Bellas on 11th Ave and 62 street, Brooklyn. Awesome sauce and only grated cheese square pizza. Next morning score: 95 points. L&B in Gravesend still does a bang-up job on the smallish sized squares. They put the cheese under the sauce, Next morning score: 98. There is a place in Bensonhurst that's worth the trip, Da Vincis on 65th and 18th. Great square with amazing mozzerella. My tip; wait for a fresh pie. Next morning score: 80.

Lombardis has the bubbly crispy crust I love. Great with beer. Wood burning stove. Next morning score; don't know. Never lasted that long.

I am in Great Kills. Where is Al's?

On Hylan just past Nelson, but not quite as far up (and across the street from) Ralphs. If you're in Great Kills, there is a BYO place called Trends on Nelson between Hylan and the shore. I haven't been there personally but do know some that do go there. PM me on WD.
So, I'm a really big pizza lover. I have it at least once a week. But nothing obscure... Real basic tomato, cheese, pepporoni, mushrooms, green pepper and bacon (because I am Canadian!!).

Now obviously, I have never been to New York and the one time I was in Chicago, I went to a Chicago chain restaurant, so my choices probably don't compare to what everyone else has said, but here goes:

--In Toronto, the best slice is "Big Slice" on Yonge street. Dirt cheap and really good. Best bet for the University crowd and the midnight partiers
--Most memorable pizza experience: Post Corner Pizza in Clearwater Beach, Florida. The pizza is pretty good but the view is to die for. You can sit and have dinner and watch the beautiful Gulf sunsets. Stunning!
--Best delivery: Close to my house is a place called The Pizza Shack. For all those other canadians, similar to Pizza Nova but better.
quote:
Originally posted by OffNotes:
Hey Disneynorth, didn't some of the McDonald's up there have pizza on their menu at one point? Do they still? Ever had it?

(Not that I'm expecting that it would show up on anyone's "best pizza" list.)

- Jeff

Yes, they did unfortunately.... It wasn't that great. The odd thing about it, they offered it in a combo with fries. It was really weird eating pizza and fries in the same meal....
A little hole in the wall place that exists no longer, like my lost and mis-spent youth, was Cacilino's in Essex Ontario. Simply fantastic.

In southern Arizona, there is a small chain, about four stores, called "Sauce". They have a very tasty thin crust baked in a wood oven.

Add Reply

Likes (0)