So, we have people from all over the place that all have their favorite pies, and some will rant and rave about how good Chicago style deep dish is, -vs- New York's thin crust, etc...

My favorites are the original Pizzeria Uno in Chicago, not to be confused with the chain restaurants that are popping up everywhere. I am refering to the one on Ohio Street in River North. The chains use totally different ingredients, crust, etc, and tastes nowhere near the caliber of the original.

Another favorite would be Delorenzo's Tomato Pies on Hudson Street in Trenton. We frequent "Delo's" every Thursday night with a bottle of vino, and it is absolutely to die for.

My old favorite would have been Charlotte's in Barrington, IL which closed when I was a kid. They were located right at Route 14 (Northwest Highway) and Ela Road, and I have fond memories of the place.

All of that said, let your rants and raves begin. Who makes your favorite pie?

-mJ
Original Post
I like Pizzeria Regina in Boston’s North End. There are several locations scattered around Boston but I prefer the original store. My favorite pie is the Margherita with tomato sauce, fresh chopped basil with mozzarella and Pecorino Romano cheese.

Other favorites include the deep dish cheese and sausage pie from Gino’s in Chicago and Mama Santa’s on Mayfield in Cleveland’s Little Italy.
in Tacoma, WA there was a place relatively close to school called Rock Pasta that actually specialized in wood-fired Pizza's... a girl i was going to school with who was local to the area turned me onto a pizza called the White Christmas - cream sauce, mozzarella, ricotta & swiss seasoned with garlic... mmmm, gnarly

Rock Pasta Wood Fired Pizza

also, when i visited Italy, in the courtyard adjacent to the Trevi Fountain in Rome there was a little pizza place that was very memorable... the pizza was in windowed counters like at a bakery, and you measured how big of a piece you wanted by the distance you placed your hands on the glass... the guy behind the counter would then cut the pizza to that size (it was in big square sheets), wrap in paper, and out you walked with your pizza... probably the best mushroom & pizza dough ever
I've been all over Italy and, to my surprise, the best pizza I found was in one of the most touristy spots in the country: Le Arcate in Anacapri on the isle of Capri. It definitely beat out the famous Neapolitan pizza by a good margin.

The second best I've had is a place like what kumazan described in Rome, but my spot was just north of Termini, the main train station. They had a pizza caprese (raw tomatoes, slightly melted mozzarella and fresh basil) that was to die for. It's all about the quality of the dough.
Cannot identify the best ever - too many good pies - I love all pizza, but as a general rule I prefer:

1. Thin crust, crispy baked at high heat in wood-burning oven

2. NY Style slice pizza - a la Joe's Pizza used to be on Bleecker and 6th Avenue -

3. Deep dish Chicago style - Sicilia's in Providence is perhaps my favorite of this style -
You have to go to the real... the first... the original. That's the one on 12th street and 6th ave. All the others are imposters, and not related.

Nope, never been to Tony Boffa's, but I seem to remember hearing about them. Maybe the Star Ledger Munchmobile did pizza one summer, I'm not sure.
quote:
Originally posted by kumazam:
in Tacoma, WA there was a place relatively close to school called Rock Pasta that actually specialized in wood-fired Pizza's... a girl i was going to school with who was local to the area turned me onto a pizza called the White Christmas - cream sauce, mozzarella, ricotta & swiss seasoned with garlic... mmmm, gnarly

Rock Pasta Wood Fired Pizza


I've had that same pizza at the Lynnwood location. It is pretty good, and they craft their own beers, too.
But as I've never been to Chicago (or NYC, thought I'm heading there in a couple weeks)I'll be the first to admit that I've never had a really 1st class pizza. I did have an unusually good one at an "Italian" place in the Dominican Republic, though. Bleu cheese and bananna slices on a traditional red sauce pizza. Sounds terrible, but tasted great!
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:
quote:
Bleu cheese and bananna slices on a traditional red sauce pizza. Sounds terrible, but tasted great!


It may have tasted good but that is not a pizza Smile

You're probably right.
In retrospect, it may have tasted better because I was lounging on a wide, white, sandy beach next to an azure sea and sipping on a fruity rum drink, while watching the parade of topless eurochicks go by. Cool
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Hunter:

quote:
Bleu cheese and bananna slices on a traditional red sauce pizza. Sounds terrible, but tasted great!


It may have tasted good but that is not a pizza

You're probably right.
In retrospect, it may have tasted better because I was lounging on a wide, white, sandy beach next to an azure sea and sipping on a fruity rum drink, while watching the parade of topless eurochicks go by.


THAT would do it Smile
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
I've had that same pizza at the Lynnwood location. It is pretty good, and they craft their own beers, too...

that was the 1st cream sauce pizza i ever liked, and being a cheese lover it was delicious... extremely thick & rich, but very tasty
Many times, a group of us drove from NY to Chibougamau for fly-in fishing. (We now go to Nunavut where catch-and-release is required.) On the way north, between Shgawinigan and Roberval, is the town of La Tuque. The main highway splits onto local streets in town. On the right side of the northbound street in the middle of town is an Italian restaurant. We stopped there for dinner once and ordered the special pizza. It was the best I've ever had. Every year thereafter, we stopped there for pizza. When my wife and I were in Quebec City, on a rainy day, I suggested the 100 mile (or so) drive each way for great pizza. She told me I was nuts. Perceptive woman.
di fara's, in brooklyn, by far. but it just got closed AGAIN, due to health violations. so he touches the money and your pie with the same hands.... Eek

grimaldi's a close but definate second. Razz

totonno's third. last time i was there, mario batali was sitting next to us. i think that's a thumbs up... Wink
Haven't been in about 20 years, but Toscas in San Diego was just amazing. Like most things, has probably gone downhill.

I still love Zachary's in Berkeley, and this little bohemian hole in the wall in the SF Fillmore District that I can't quite remember.

But, as several have noted, NYC pizza is amazing, just about anywhere you get it.

A couple in Indy I love, Bazbeaux, and Eh Formagio!
Cool Two examples come to mind. The first was years and years ago, in Oklahoma City, OK. A place called My Pi. Not sure if it's still around, but it was amazing. The second was when I was a kid. My dad, a Yugoslav right off the boat, would, a couple times a year, make pizza at home from scratch. I've not had a pizza to compare...
quote:
Originally posted by KarenT:
Another vote for the Original Ray's - so good my husband even thinks it is worth a trip into the city for a few pies to go. Big Grin Big Grin
K... I don't know if this is what you are refering to, but they also have frozen pies you can take home and cook yourself. We did it once, and baked it on a pizza stone. Not as good as when you get them in the store... but still a heck-of-a pie.


By the way, I should also add another great place...

Papa Dell's in Champaign, IL.
When I was in college the guys in the dorm were arguing about where you got the best pizza. Everyone picked his hometown place.
One summer, a few of us visited another guy, and went to his pizza place, and it was universally agreed that his place was far and away the best.
The place was called "Slices" and was in Jersey City.
Now, this was in around 1972, and I have no idea if it is still there.
actually, i need to shout out to a hole in the wall place in my town called Maria's Italian Deli (not to be confused with the chain Maria's Italian Kitchen)... little Italian deli/restaraunt with ridiculous pizza, and run by Maria herself with a few other older Italian ladies behind the counter. actually they make a crazy good Chopped Salad too but thats another post... two types of pizza - traditional think crust and square, deep dish Sicilian style... i love going in there, type of place where no matter what dish you order your plate is a pile of tomato sauce. Cool when you get your pizza, every time, Maria opens the box for you to see and ALWAYS says, "pretty good, eh?" it's classic... $3.50 pitchers of domestic as well, $4.50 for beers like Sierra Nevada... they have wacky hours too, and the best way to do it is go near closing, order a pitcher and a slice and you inevitably get sent home with the left over pies in the counter Big Grin i love that place and cant believe i forgot about it with this thread
Ok, this is kind of what NOT to do. I'm a native New Yorker (LI) who moved to St Louis about 10 years ago for work. One week in, my roommates and I (all just moved in from out of town), needed pizza.

So, just down the street was a place we saw called Imo's - looked like a pizza place, can't be too bad, right? Go in, smells ok, order a large, get the box, go home.

When we opened the box we saw: a round circle with cheese and sauce right to the edges CUT IN SQUARES?!??*&$!!? The crust was thin, with no body or chew. Basically, to a New Yorker, it was a large matzo covered in crap, like the worst appetizer you can imagine. The cheese is some abomination that sticks to the roof of your mouth (what the hell is provel cheese?).

I later find out this Imo's is actually a chain.

Don't eat pizza in St Louis.
Al Forno's - in Providence, Rhode Island - best grilled pizza.

Geppetos' - in Georgetown, DC (now long gone) - they put the most awesome amount of pepperoni on a pizza I had ever seen.

Somewhere in Milwaukee - an incredible deep dish pie. I wish I could remember the name.

Getting decent pizza in South Florida is next to impossible.
I can't believe none of you New Yorkers have mentioned Lombardi's yet. Their meatball pizza with a little bit of extra garlic is my favorite pie in the city. Manhattan, that is. Grimaldi's, Di Fara's and Totonno's are all great as well. And T-Bird, I think Di Fara's has reopened (for the second or third time in a month it would seem).
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Al Forno's - in Providence, Rhode Island - best grilled pizza.

Geppetos' - in Georgetown, DC (now long gone) - they put the most awesome amount of pepperoni on a pizza I had ever seen.

Somewhere in Milwaukee - an incredible deep dish pie. I wish I could remember the name.

Getting decent pizza in South Florida is next to impossible.


Lots of good options if you came further South.
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Taylor:
I can't believe none of you New Yorkers have mentioned Lombardi's yet. Their meatball pizza with a little bit of extra garlic is my favorite pie in the city. Manhattan, that is. Grimaldi's, Di Fara's and Totonno's are all great as well. And T-Bird, I think Di Fara's has reopened (for the second or third time in a month it would seem).


As former residents of Manhattan, MLV and I have always liked Lombardis. I think it has gone down hill since it expanded though. I remember eating there in 95 or so, on the roof in the summer drinking anchor steams - it was great.
Agreed that it doesn't seem to be what it used to since the expansion, but I half suspect it's merely the idea of the refurbished and expanded venue that makes the pizza seem slightly less transcendent - that's why I only get it via delivery now. Smile
Damn - slightly over-cooked it last night. New fan oven is not as forgiving as the old one.

When I was last in New York at the UN Plaza hotel there was a pizza place only 100 yards away. For an extra $2 (I think) I got large instead of medium.

1. Couldn't get it through the revolving doors at the hotel;

2. Still hadn't finished it two days later.

Good pizza though.
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
Al Forno's - in Providence, Rhode Island - best grilled pizza.

Geppetos' - in Georgetown, DC (now long gone) - they put the most awesome amount of pepperoni on a pizza I had ever seen.

Somewhere in Milwaukee - an incredible deep dish pie. I wish I could remember the name.

Getting decent pizza in South Florida is next to impossible.


Lots of good options if you came further South.



Yeah, but the idea of driving 30-40 miles for a pizza doesn't appeal to me.
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Taylor:
I can't believe none of you New Yorkers have mentioned Lombardi's yet. Their meatball pizza with a little bit of extra garlic is my favorite pie in the city. Manhattan, that is. Grimaldi's, Di Fara's and Totonno's are all great as well. And T-Bird, I think Di Fara's has reopened (for the second or third time in a month it would seem).


i think lombardi's is at the bottom of the list. still a great pie(in fact, in the top 5-6 in the USA), but when you can get any of the others....
maybe cuz i live in brooklyn where grimaldi's, totonno's & difara's(and frannys and anthonys!) is located.
as of late, when craving manhattan pizza, i've been hitting lazzara's. HIGHLY recommended.
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyV:
Wooster Street in New Haven is home to both Pepe's and Sally's. Feuds have developed over which is better (I prefer Pepe's), but either way, they are the best I have had. Modern Pizza a few blocks away, is just as good.


pepe's rocked my world!
My mother-in-law makes the 2nd best, and my wife makes the best. She pre bakes the crust, then uses Italian (Marzanno) canned tomatoes exclusively (unless she can get some ripe plum tomatoes from the farms in Vineland, NJ). She uses a small amount of mozarella (part skim vs whole milk), EVOO, and a twist of Thai basil. It is devine. She bakes it at a high temp on a pizza stone in a gas oven.
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Hey guys, I'm going to be bumming around Manhattan next week. Any suggestions?


I consider myself a pizza snob. I will try anything once in search of the best pizza. At this very moment I would recco Lombardi's. Bring cash.

As of late I have been making my own. This past Friday night the kids wanted me to order from the local joint. 30 minutes later 1 basic round cheese and 1 fresh mozzerella and marinara square...with tip....$35!!

Fast forward to Saturday next. I buy some dough from the same place, prepare my basic fesh sauce ($2.00?), go two blocks for what I think is the best fresh mozzerella in 10 miles ($7.00), and head home. Fire up the webber and creat the perfect round medium crust with grill croosmarks. Place on my new pizza pan and add all the ingredienst, hit the bottom with some corn meal, and place on the grill, now set to medium for 6 minutes or so, hit with some frsh grated Locatelli and serve. The kids told me NEVER to order pizza again.
I am not well traveled, and I usually make my own pizza, but I have to concur with indybob, that Zach's in Berkeley is one of the best places for pizza in the bay area. I make a point of stopping in whenever I am in the area. The only trouble is deciding on the thin crust or the stuffed pizza - we always get both and enjoy the leftovers for breakfast!
quote:
Originally posted by SueMor:
I am not well traveled, and I usually make my own pizza, but I have to concur with indybob, that Zach's in Berkeley is one of the best places for pizza in the bay area. I make a point of stopping in whenever I am in the area. The only trouble is deciding on the thin crust or the stuffed pizza - we always get both and enjoy the leftovers for breakfast!


No kidding, lots of leftovers, and worth the long wait it can take to arrive. Sue, are you a journalist BTW?
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:

Fast forward to Saturday next. I buy some dough from the same place, prepare my basic fesh sauce ($2.00?), go two blocks for what I think is the best fresh mozzerella in 10 miles ($7.00), and head home. Fire up the webber and creat the perfect round medium crust with grill croosmarks. Place on my new pizza pan and add all the ingredienst, hit the bottom with some corn meal, and place on the grill, now set to medium for 6 minutes or so, hit with some frsh grated Locatelli and serve. The kids told me NEVER to order pizza again.


That's just beautiful.

I'd rate your pizza in my top ten without having tasted it!

Where I am, well, it's a barren pizza wasteland.

In previous lives, I'd agree about Zach's in the bay area, as well as Olives (was it on Chestnut?) and Mozarella Di Buffalo out at West Portal. They both have pretty good corn meal dough, too.

North Beach was good originally, but it faltered.

The original pizzas at Postrio were pretty good, but I wouldn't go so far as to call them authentic pizza.

In Chcago, I like Uno, Gino's east, and Tony's, among others.

Chicago style is mui bueno!
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Hey guys, I'm going to be bumming around Manhattan next week. Any suggestions?


I consider myself a pizza snob. I will try anything once in search of the best pizza. At this very moment I would recco Lombardi's. Bring cash.

Well, I tried to steer my NJ friend (and ride) to Lombardi's, but he was hot to try Naples-45. Terrible, the food and the service. California Pizza Kitchen was better. Roll Eyes
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:

I consider myself a pizza snob.


any comment on staten islands own joe and pat's and/or denino's.


Mike, nothing has spun my wheels on Staten Island. Had them both. deninos is a bit better than J&Ps.
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:

I consider myself a pizza snob.


any comment on staten islands own joe and pat's and/or denino's.


Mike, nothing has spun my wheels on Staten Island. Had them both. deninos is a bit better than J&Ps.


thanks. they are both on my "list".

yours sounds better tho!

Smile
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:
quote:
Originally posted by TBird:
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:

I consider myself a pizza snob.


any comment on staten islands own joe and pat's and/or denino's.


Mike, nothing has spun my wheels on Staten Island. Had them both. deninos is a bit better than J&Ps.


thanks. they are both on my "list".

yours sounds better tho!

Smile

Having had both of them, I actually prefer Big Al's, which is a small place off of Hylan Blvd. Where on the island are you, mike?

Also Goodfellas is supposed to make a great pie, however I haven't had one yet.

My absolute favorite place was Giordano's in Chicago, with Sac's Place in Astoria a close second.
Pizza is big in my life. When I was young there was a place called Bellas on 11th Ave and 62 street, Brooklyn. Awesome sauce and only grated cheese square pizza. Next morning score: 95 points. L&B in Gravesend still does a bang-up job on the smallish sized squares. They put the cheese under the sauce, Next morning score: 98. There is a place in Bensonhurst that's worth the trip, Da Vincis on 65th and 18th. Great square with amazing mozzerella. My tip; wait for a fresh pie. Next morning score: 80.

Lombardis has the bubbly crispy crust I love. Great with beer. Wood burning stove. Next morning score; don't know. Never lasted that long.

I am in Great Kills. Where is Al's?
quote:
Originally posted by mike p:
Pizza is big in my life. When I was young there was a place called Bellas on 11th Ave and 62 street, Brooklyn. Awesome sauce and only grated cheese square pizza. Next morning score: 95 points. L&B in Gravesend still does a bang-up job on the smallish sized squares. They put the cheese under the sauce, Next morning score: 98. There is a place in Bensonhurst that's worth the trip, Da Vincis on 65th and 18th. Great square with amazing mozzerella. My tip; wait for a fresh pie. Next morning score: 80.

Lombardis has the bubbly crispy crust I love. Great with beer. Wood burning stove. Next morning score; don't know. Never lasted that long.

I am in Great Kills. Where is Al's?

On Hylan just past Nelson, but not quite as far up (and across the street from) Ralphs. If you're in Great Kills, there is a BYO place called Trends on Nelson between Hylan and the shore. I haven't been there personally but do know some that do go there. PM me on WD.
So, I'm a really big pizza lover. I have it at least once a week. But nothing obscure... Real basic tomato, cheese, pepporoni, mushrooms, green pepper and bacon (because I am Canadian!!).

Now obviously, I have never been to New York and the one time I was in Chicago, I went to a Chicago chain restaurant, so my choices probably don't compare to what everyone else has said, but here goes:

--In Toronto, the best slice is "Big Slice" on Yonge street. Dirt cheap and really good. Best bet for the University crowd and the midnight partiers
--Most memorable pizza experience: Post Corner Pizza in Clearwater Beach, Florida. The pizza is pretty good but the view is to die for. You can sit and have dinner and watch the beautiful Gulf sunsets. Stunning!
--Best delivery: Close to my house is a place called The Pizza Shack. For all those other canadians, similar to Pizza Nova but better.
quote:
Originally posted by OffNotes:
Hey Disneynorth, didn't some of the McDonald's up there have pizza on their menu at one point? Do they still? Ever had it?

(Not that I'm expecting that it would show up on anyone's "best pizza" list.)

- Jeff


Yes, they did unfortunately.... It wasn't that great. The odd thing about it, they offered it in a combo with fries. It was really weird eating pizza and fries in the same meal....
A little hole in the wall place that exists no longer, like my lost and mis-spent youth, was Cacilino's in Essex Ontario. Simply fantastic.

In southern Arizona, there is a small chain, about four stores, called "Sauce". They have a very tasty thin crust baked in a wood oven.
Silvia Apilinario posted:

Yesterday night, I was enjoyed wood fired pepperoni pizza loaded with popular pizza ingredients, this cheesy concoction is wonderful on crackers of all kinds. —Connie Milinovich, Cudahy, Wisconsin. Also, enjoy few shots of wine. 

 

Who are these people?  Crackers?  No not that kind.  Pizza crackers??  And I do love me some popular pizza ingredients when I enjoyed pepperoni pizza.  

PH

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×