Being an avid and spectacularly unskilled guitar player, I'm always interested in a great 3-chord song.

My recent faves:

What I Like About You

Tracks of my Tears

What 3-chord songs rock your socks?

Oh.... no blues. Sorry, too easy. Wink

PH
Original Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by NewOrleansWinosaur:
Same goes for "Blister in the Sun" excepting the two Em chords in the chorus.

That little intro lick was remarkably easy to figure out. Thanks, never would have thought of this one. Do you play?

PH

Yes!! I dabble Wink
"Twist and Shout" is 3 chords... but "Shout" is only 2.

"Cadillac Ranch" is just one of many Springsteen songs that would qualify.

Or you could do what a few of my high school classmates did for the talent show - they formed a band and played "Free Bird", except they dispensed with the actual song and only played the 3-chord jam section at the end!
quote:
Originally posted by Vinyrd Skynyrd:
"Twist and Shout" is 3 chords... but "Shout" is only 2.

"Cadillac Ranch" is just one of many Springsteen songs that would qualify.

Or you could do what a few of my high school classmates did for the talent show - they formed a band and played "Free Bird", except they dispensed with the actual song and only played the 3-chord jam section at the end!

I think they may have also done a 3-chord cover of "Stairway to Heaven" that started with the fast-tempo guitar solo, omitting everything previous.
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

Hey, Ho.....let's go!

PH

I shout that as I turn the radio dial anytime a song from an American Idol dork comes on the radio. I'm hopeful this generation will have some counter to the over emotional over the top crap that is pop music today. Every generation needs 2 and a half minutes of angst, speed, frustration and anger.
Ramones "I Just Want to Have Something to Do." I own every Ramones studio album and I met Joey at Cbgb's in decenber 1988 when we were warming up for Soul Asylum. The next night I got to hang out with him at the Cat Club. My hero. To bad he died too young. His only lament on his career was that they didn't sell more records.
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Ramones "I Just Want to Have Something to Do." I own every Ramones studio album and I met Joey at Cbgb's in decenber 1988 when we were warming up for Soul Asylum. The next night I got to hang out with him at the Cat Club. My hero. To bad he died too young. His only lament on his career was that they didn't sell more records.

You were in a band (that actually did something Smile)? Do tell!
Quinn the Eskimo...I love singing this. How do you up with this sh!t?
Way downtown, Doc Watson, throwing down the bluegrass
Volcano, can't remember all the lyrics
Johnny B Goode, Let it Rock, he's got a few, no?
La Bamba
Caress me down
Southbound or One way out, both to hard to sing and play though.

2 chords...
Feelin Alright?
Aiko Aiko
Not Fade Away
What I got

I'm gonna go pull out a guitar. Thanks, PH!
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:
Quinn the Eskimo...I love singing this. How do you come up with this sh!t?
Way downtown, Doc Watson, throwing down the bluegrass
Volcano, can't remember all the lyrics
Johnny B Goode, Let it Rock, he's got a few, no?
La Bamba
Caress me down
Southbound or One way out, both to hard to sing and play though. <edit> Fun (read: good finger exercises) to play the main riff on these. Need to try One way out with the jam band, playing chords/vocals

2 chords...
Feelin Alright?
Aiko Aiko
Not Fade Away
What I got

I'm gonna go pull out a guitar. Thanks, PH!

Made it through most of these. Ending up working on trying to remember all the lyrics to The Weight. (4 chords) I can sing along to the cows come home, but for some reason when tasked with lead vocals, I blank on, like, three verses. Got to keep this one fresh, such a great song.

On another note, I was thinking of the song I play with the most chords...I figure it's I will off the White Album

Add Reply

Likes (0)