Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

1968 Bertani Recioto della Valpolicella Classico Superiore Amarone

Wow, Joe! A library release?  How did that bottle show?

In 2014 we took a recently released 1967 Bertani to an offline in San Diego, and it was outstanding (HERE are Javachip's excellent notes on the evening), showing much, much younger than its actual age.  Hope your bottle was as delightful as the one we had.

I really enjoy aged Amarones. I have precious few left, with the oldest now 2001. <sigh...>

@seaquam posted:

Wow, Joe! A library release?  How did that bottle show?

In 2014 we took a recently released 1967 Bertani to an offline in San Diego, and it was outstanding (HERE are Javachip's excellent notes on the evening), showing much, much younger than its actual age.  Hope your bottle was as delightful as the one we had.

I really enjoy aged Amarones. I have precious few left, with the oldest now 2001. <sigh...>

Not sure if a library release.  Tasted at an offline and somebody else (who has passed) provided it.

It showed OK in my book.  Nose was stunning.  Beautiful.  Put the palate fell short in my book.  Clipped, short finish.  Not a lot there.

Last night at a friend's house, we had steak with bacon-wrapped shrimp and scallops. I brought both a 2005 Andrew Will Champoux and Ciel du Cheval vineyard. Both were holding up well (maybe ever so slightly passing the peak), and so seamlessly integrated, that it was difficult to pick out individual threads for tasting notes. But there was certainly nothing to complain about with either of them.

Also opened a 2008 Baer Ursa that was showing no signs of slowing down, either.

Last edited by mneeley490
@irwin posted:

A west Texas rose?  I’ve heard of the yellow rose of Texas, but not the dry rose.

what was this like, Joe?

It was good.  No joke.  PURPLE and I recently took a wine tasting trip to the Texas High Plains (Lubbock area).  Most people outside of the Texas wine industry don't realize 85-90% of all Texas wine is grown in the Texas High Plains.  The tourist areas like Fredericksburg outside of Austin tend to get all of the attention.  But they are mostly buying grapes from the high plains and shipping them to their wineries through the state.

I was on a quest during this trip to find a good rose.  I had at least 3 good ones but this one was the pick of the litter.  Bone dry made in a Provencal style.  I bought two bottles which I'll try again soon so I can have more shipped in the fall if I still like them as much upon reflection.

Here is my tasting note since you inquired about the wine:

2021 West Texas Farmhouse Vineyards Bloom Farmhouse Vineyard – USA, Texas, Texas High Plains (8/7/2022)
WIML91

Tasted non blind. 100% Mourvedre.

Light salmon color in the glass, clear looking throughout. Light and fresh aromas of red berries, strawberries and fresh cut flowers. Lovely Provençal style with a bone dry palate of red berries, strawberries and a hint of red raspberries. Medium to bright acidity, medium to full bodied. Drink over the short term. (91 points)

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.