Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2018 Guigal Cote du Rhone blanc, the wine was fine, but interestingly, the cork was stamped:  2015 Chateau d'Ampuis.  I thought maybe I lucked into some sort of mislabeled higher end white.  But no, the wine was good, but not exceptional.  Its pretty uncommon though, to have the date stamp of the cork not match the vintage on the bottle, no?

@jabe11 posted:

2018 Guigal Cote du Rhone blanc, the wine was fine, but interestingly, the cork was stamped:  2015 Chateau d'Ampuis.  I thought maybe I lucked into some sort of mislabeled higher end white.  But no, the wine was good, but not exceptional.  Its pretty uncommon though, to have the date stamp of the cork not match the vintage on the bottle, no?

Truly odd about the cork.

I can't remember everything I've had in the past couple of weeks but of note

2001 Siro Pacenti, BdM

2006 Bibi Graetz, Testamatta

2005 Il Pino di Biserno, Bolgheri (from magnum)

2018 Il Poggione, RdM (this a serious baby Brunello and I went back to get more)

2017 DeMorgenzon, Maestro, White

2010 Bodegas Faustino, Rioja, Gran Reserva I (not as good or open as the 2009 but may just need time)

2020 Pascal Jolivet, Sancerre

2020 Pazo Senorans, Rias Baixas, Albarino

2020 Domaine La Suffrene, Bandol, Rosé

2018 Lapostolle, Syrah, Cuvée Alexandre

NV Chartogne-Taillet, Champagne, Cuvée Sainte Anne

2018 Domaine des Huards, Cheverny, Pure (Blanc)

Over the past few weeks...

2014 Chapoutier Ermitage Blanc L'Oree

2014 Robert Chevillon Nuits St. George Les Cailles

2003 Cos d'Estournel

2018 Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir "Isabelle"

2017 Ridge Cabernet

2019 Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc

2020 Huet Vouvray Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec

Laherte Frères Rosé du Munier

All very strong at their price points and for what they are.  The Chapoutier needed more time to open to really show its best than I had expected.  I'd advise decanting for at least 45+ minutes, probably more like an hour, or opening several hours ahead of time.  (Obviously the Chevillon and the Cos were both decanted -- as was the Ridge -- but those behaved about how I expected them to.)  Laherte Frères continues to be, to me, the strongest producer of +/- $50 Champagnes that there is; and this $48 bottle is one of my favorites of his.

2008 Franck Bonville BdB from magnum

2016 Saint Cosme Condrieu

1995 JJ Prum WS Auslese

2005 JJ Prum WS Auslese

2014 Aeris Etna Bianco Superiore

2007 Doisy Daene

2008 Evening Land Pinot Noir Seven Springs La Source

2011 Kutch Pinot Noir Savoy

1999 Guigal Cote-Rotie d’Ampuis

2006 Guigal Cote-Rotie La Landonne

2005 Dunn Howell Mountain from magnum

1997 Poggio di Satto Brunello