Skip to main content

2006 Thomas Pinot Noir Dundee Hills

Interesting. OTW opened a 2005 at our blind Zoom tasting last night. Started off with a strong cinnamon hearts note that dissipated over time. It was more tannic than I might have expected from a Pinot, but I picked up on a slight beetroot note that I associate with Oregon Pinot so that was my guess. A very good bottle of wine and still drinking really well. 

The full lineup last night:

2015 Benanti Etna Bianco Superiore Pietramarina
2006 Clos Des Papes CdP Blanc
2014 Enfield Wine Co. Chardonnay Heron Lake Vineyard
2005 Thomas Pinot Noir Dundee Hills
2004 Bodega Catena Zapata Nicolas Catena Zapata
2003 Delas Frères Côte-Rôtie La Landonne

Last edited by sunnylea57

2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Alpine Vineyard

Very good.  Could pass for a slightly modern Gevrey. (It isn't as juicy, but there is something a bit reminiscent of Denis Bachelet here.)  Fruit profile is mostly black cherry / plumb. There is a hint of wintergreen on the nose that dissipates on the initial palate but comes back full force on the finish.  Great now, but best in 3-4 years, probably.  92(+)

Perfect with wild mushroom, dried cherry, wild rice risotto-ish dish I concocted for dinner. 

2018 Schlosskellerei, Gobelsburg, Kamptal, Gruner veltliner

2004 Greppicaia....haven’t been drinking any red wine as it’s been hot as f_k around here.  But bbq’d a tri tip and this wine was excellent.  Wedding year to boot. 

2013 Generala, barbera d’asti, Nizza Superiore, Bersano...still fresh and fruity, how I like my barberas

2013 Rhys Pinot Noir Horseshoe Vineyard. 

This is darker and richer than the ‘13 Alpine I had a few days ago. While thete id no heat, I’m honestly stunned this is listed at 12.5% abv. Lots of blackberries and black raspberries. Hints of plumb and cassis as well. There seems to be a touch of oak, as well. I enjoyed this and if seems maybe a bit more serious than the Alpine, but I prefer the Alpine, at least in ‘13. 91(+?)

2007 Billecart-Salmon Cuvée Elisabeth Salmon

Not up to the greatest vintages of this wine.  Still fantastic.  Best after open for 2 hours, which means it was probably at around 55F.  I think it would have been better slightly cooler, but the 2 hours of air more than made up for it.  My perennial favorite rosé Champagne.  Not the best vintage but still 92.5+

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.